DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

Posted on
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:02 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

I futzed around with a few more tries before actually calling Google Payments support. Turns out that all transactions were declined due to a Google "security flag" on the account. The operator I spoke with said it was policy to not disclose the reason for the security flag, but the only thing I did with the account after creating it was log into Play Store on the Kindle Fire.

I suspect that this is what someone (Terry?) mentioned in another post - that the Google Play version(s) had some kind of mismatch and it flagged the device/transaction as suspicious or unsupported in a way.

The Android tablets are a bit of a mystery right now -- you have the high end (Pixelbook, Galaxy models) and the low end (Fires, generic Walmart type), but little in the middle. This may change, though, as several are set to be revealed shortly with Chrome OS and these run the Play Store / Android apps native like the Pixelbook. No word on pricing, but with brands, such as Acer, I suspect the will be middle-of-the-road.

I will say, for the most part, once you have DomoPad up and running it just runs - the processing requirements are very low outside of "has enough RAM to support your graphically intense control pages". But I have only ever had an issue with that on a 640MB device (yup, still use it as an automation controller).

Terry, why are you needing all these small tablets - I thought you had the large format tablets attached to the wall??

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:55 am
roussell offline

lanbrown wrote:
RogueProeliator wrote:
Terry, why are you needing all these small tablets - I thought you had the large format tablets attached to the wall??

Sometimes you better not ask a question as you may not like the answer. I heard he was trying to be like planet Spaceballs. Watch out for those unlisted walls.

Nailed it!

Terry

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:06 am
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

Need is a strong word. They're cheap so I'll grab one to play with and test. The end-game was to pick the best and wall mount them in bedrooms and other convenient secondary places, although now that Sibo has finally updated the Android OS on their POE in-wall mounts, I'll probably switch to those for a final install in the next house. I have a large format in-wall in the kitchen that gets the most use, although it's pretty slow these days compared to the smaller, newer tablets. I really wish there was a clean Android wall install like the iPad & iPort combo. Vidamount now makes a Fire tablet wall mount wish is probably the nicest available, but is still a little large (frame width) for me, I think...

I've been spending a lot of free time pulling everything out; we're pushing to have the house on the market by mid-spring so most everything will be boxed up and then evaluated for use in the next place. I start a new job/company tomorrow so getting adjusted there is unfortunately gonna eat into some of that time, however.

Terry

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:37 pm
mat offline

Thanks for the plugin, it’s working great and Terry, thanks for summerising your processes. All up and running on a £29 kindle fire in less thank 20 minutes. Bring on the next sale as I need a control for a few more places.

Cheers

May

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:36 pm
mundmc offline

mat wrote:
Thanks for the plugin, it’s working great and Terry, thanks for summerising your processes. All up and running on a £29 kindle fire in less thank 20 minutes. Bring on the next sale as I need a control for a few more places.

Cheers

May

+1 Thanks to both of you as well