DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

Posted on
Mon May 08, 2017 11:06 am
roussell offline

Re: DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

Different Computers wrote:
Hey all, FYI the Fire HD 8 is on sale today for $64.99, which is $25 off.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

DO IT! :twisted: Make sure you're on the DomoPad beta track and read this!
http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=18348

Terry

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 am
Different Computers offline

I did go ahead and get one. Tempted to get another, as they're still on sale, but I'm still figuring out how to deploy the one I already bought!

Working with a non-Apple device reminds me how awkward it is to do anything once I step outside of easy iCloud setup, but I do have the G Play store installed and working. Downloaded an impressive free IP cam viewer that would be great for monitoring my cams, except that for some reason it crushes my wireless network when I run it, to the point that my AirPlay speakers start to skip.

And now I'm using DomoPad for the first time too. It's nice. Could someone explain what the diff is supposed to be between "native" and "web page" display of control pages? I'm missing something.
Last edited by Different Computers on Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 9:20 am
RogueProeliator offline

Working with a non-Apple device reminds me how awkward it is to do anything once I step outside of easy iCloud setup, but I do have the G Play store installed and working.

I say the same thing whenever I have to go to Apple devices in regards to "awkward to do anything with my Google Account loading all settings for me". Just what you are used to -- except the Fire is a bit more awkward because of the lack of pre-installed Google Play Services.

And now I'm using DomoPad for the first time too. It's nice. Could someone explain what the diff is supposed to be between "native" and "web page" display of control pages? I'm missing something.

Use the Native Display -- basically that renders everything in native controls instead versus loading the web page in a browser-based viewer.

I'm waiting on Terry to write up a complete "How to Setup the Kindle Fire as an Awesome Touchscreen Interface" post. :)

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks RP!

When I search the web for how to USB connect and transfer files from Mac to Fire, I get a bunch of blithe assurances it just works like a thumb drive would. But on this Fire 8, it does not. I know I saw this referenced somewhere in the instructions that got the Play Store on the Fire, but dang if I can find them now. There was some mention of some additional file manager that needed to be installed.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 10:28 am
RogueProeliator offline

When I search the web for how to USB connect and transfer files from Mac to Fire, I get a bunch of blithe assurances it just works like a thumb drive would. But on this Fire 8, it does not. I know I saw this referenced somewhere in the instructions that got the Play Store on the Fire, but dang if I can find them now. There was some mention of some additional file manager that needed to be installed.

It is possible that is because you enabled the developer tools -- there are several connection types via USB and my guess is that it is set for debug mode or something. When you connect, pull down the shade and see if there is a "USB Connection" type notification sitting there; if so, click on it and you should get to a screen with various connection options (Debug, Media, etc.)

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 am

This didn't fix it but it did lead me to what I had seen before.

Connecting doesn't change anything in the shade. But I checked dev tools and under the USB options it mentions Android File Transfer for Mac. That ends up giving me a "No Android devices found" which now makes me think the real problem I have is all the damn USB micro cables I have are those stupid power only cables. Can anyone with a Fire 8 confirm that the cable shipping with it does data transfer?

Edit: OK turns out some toggling of the USB type caused AFT to finally recognize it. Can confirm that the cable shipped is in fact not just power only.

Posted on
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:54 pm
clawmd offline

I am trying to use the Kindle Fire 8 with the control pages only. This is for a rental I want to limit what can be done with it. My plan was to set up some basic control pages. I have two problems:
1. I'm not sure of the best way to limit what renters can do. I am thinking that I can give them the access to a "Renters" page that only has navigation to limited pages.
2. I can get control page to display on various computers in the house by this IP http://192.168.1.142:8176/controlpage?name=Security, but I cannot get the Kindle to display this page, all I get is a Bing search

Any help appreciated!

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 am
siclark offline

Hi all,

Until I get permission to mount my 7" fire into the wall, I would like to use it on a stand in the kitchen. My ideal would be having it landscape and always on so people can see it easily, and then pick up if necessary to use. Ideally I would use a Qi wireless charger but with the micro usb off to the side, and in the middle of the power and volume buttons this really doesn't work well. For now I have it sitting on a stand in landscape with the cable sticking out the side but it doesn't look too great.

What are other people doing?

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 am
RogueProeliator offline

For now I have it sitting on a stand in landscape with the cable sticking out the side but it doesn't look too great.

Your best bet to leave it plugged in on a stand is to get a small adapter that provides an elbow so that the cable turns and goes out the back without sticking out much at all. There are various types depending upon your situation (i.e. that allow another micro-USB to plugin, ones that are little pigtails, etc. You'll want to search for "microusb elbow" on Amazon and you can find a bunch of options. But caution, just make sure it faces the right direction (so it doesn't poke out the front) since sometimes these things are flipped around.

For stands, my favorite is this little Ankor stand as it is cheap, well made, and adjusts to any angle.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 am

Mine is magnetically attached to the face of the fridge.

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:17 am
siclark offline

Different Computers wrote:
Mine is magnetically attached to the face of the fridge.

Nice... how does it charge?

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:03 am

A marginally hidden usb cable that matches the black of the fridge.

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 am
siclark offline

Convenient.. I don't think they make usb cables in stainless steel!

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:12 pm

siclark wrote:
Convenient.. I don't think they make usb cables in stainless steel!

Sure they do!

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:38 am
biswasg offline

I managed to install Google Play Store on the Kindle Fire version 7 following instructions in this link https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/. I then managed to install DomoPad. However, when I tried to upgrade DomoPad to the Professional version, the payment window asks for google password. However, it is not accepting the google password. I even renewed the google password, but could not make the purchase to the professional version of DomoPad on the Amazon Fire.

Any suggestions?