Amazon intros $50 Android tablet!

Posted on
Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:31 am
spiv offline

Amazon intros $50 Android tablet!

Today, Amazon introduced new tablets including a $50 model. It is aimed at being the lowest-cost consumption device for their Amazon Prime Video Service, but hopefully will be a SUPER inexpensive home automation platform.

What's the status on getting DomoPad into the Amazon app store? Might need to be prioritized higher now !!

P.S. The new tablet is available for pre-order so it is not clear how demand will affect delivery. For $50, I just ordered one as not worth thinking about and missing the first delivery window.

Posted on
Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:49 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Amazon intros $50 Android tablet!

I saw that, the two larger sized tablets (largest at 10" I believe) are actually fairly reasonably priced as well... I do plan on attempting to put DomoPad on the Amazon App Store but it isn't all that trivial because the Fire devices mean no Google Play Services, which affects Push Notifications, Geofencing and Upgrades at a minimum.

It would be somewhat easier to implement if I had one of those Fire tablets, but can't spend the money right now -- one of the downsides of Android development seems to be the plethora of devices and configurations available, making it hard to test and develop for them... it currently runs on 8800 devices! I'll see what I can do without the device soon and maybe be able to swing one before too long; I wish they had an emulator build for them - maybe another developer in the same situation will create one.

Adam

Page 1 of 1