Geofencing radius limit

Posted on
Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:21 pm
jingai offline

Geofencing radius limit

I've just purchased DomoPad for my new Android phone.

Previously on my iPhone, I had triggers on two fences: one within 2 miles of my house, and one for 15 miles away. I had intended to use DomoPad to reproduce this functionality, but it seems the radius is limited to 10km. Since I work more than 10km from home, this won't work for the 2nd trigger.

Is there a reason it's limited to just 10km? Or maybe there is another way to do what I want? Essentially, I use the 15 mile trigger to indicate that I'm going to be away for a while, which shuts down more things in the house than the first trigger.

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:07 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Geofencing radius limit

I can increase the limit, no problem... I had set a limit as some users had accidentally set very large radius fences accidentally (when the feature was first released to beta). However, I had meant to go back and revisit that in the future. I'll get it increased in the next release.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:36 am
jingai offline

Appreciate it!

One more quick question. I assume this requires a connection to Indigo for the geofencing triggers to work, yes? I signed up for the prism reflector service to facilitate this, but I figured I'd verify with you that this how it actually happens (I can't think of any other way).

Thanks again.

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:18 am
RogueProeliator offline

You are correct, the geofencing triggers actions on the remote server, so a connection is required. In fact, you will get an error notification if DomoPad can't contact the server. If you have a reflector setup then DomoPad will use it for geofencing actions. You may want to check setting to make sure your reflector is picked up... If not then can reselect the server in the selection screen (once the reflector is setup on the server first of course).

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:09 am
jingai offline

Does DomoPad need to be open on my phone for geofencing to work? My trigger didn't activate today when I went to work.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:23 am
jingai offline

Yeah, I am unable to get geofencing triggers to work. I'm not sure why. It's set to run an Action Group on leaving and another on entering, both which just set a boolean variable.

If it helps, I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact running Android 5.0.2.

Is there anything else you'd need from me to help diagnose the issue?

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:44 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Yeah, I am unable to get geofencing triggers to work. I'm not sure why. It's set to run an Action Group on leaving and another on entering, both which just set a boolean variable.

If you are not getting an error in the notification panel, and the Last Triggered is not being updated in the list, DomoPad is likely not getting the notification of the geofence boundary being passed. This notification comes from the system, so perhaps it has become disabled without DomoPad knowing it; try disabling and re-enabling each geofence (to do so edit each, uncheck the Enabled box, save, edit and re-check/save).

That would be the first step...

Adam

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:49 pm
jingai offline

OK I've done that. Quick question though: does DomoPad actually have to be open for this to work? I've got it running, but was curious.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:54 pm
RogueProeliator offline

OK I've done that. Quick question though: does DomoPad actually have to be open for this to work? I've got it running, but was curious.

No, whenever your phone boots up DomoPad registers the geofences such that it (DomoPad) will be informed whenever the geofence boundary is passed. The system will launch the necessary parts of the application if it is not running. One thing I don't know, and can investigate, is what happens if something disabled the geofences -- such as maybe (guessing here) turning off location services -- after the bootup. DomoPad may consider the geofences enabled, but in reality without location services running they won't ever be called.

That would be another thing to double check - that location services are enabled on the device. Some low-battery / battery-saver modes may disable that when the battery gets low.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:58 pm
jingai offline

I confess I'm still new to Android, but under Settings->Location, it is enabled (high accuracy mode), and shows DomoPad as an app that has used location services.

In the permissions for DomoPad it also does show that it's permitted to use location services.

Do I need to reboot the phone maybe to get it to register the geofences?

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:13 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Do I need to reboot the phone maybe to get it to register the geofences?

Have you tried them since disabling/re-enabling? From the sounds of it, you have the location services running and setup okay. If they still aren't triggering, let me know and I will get some debug information in there to help us diagnose the issue.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:19 pm
jingai offline

Have not tried yet (still at work). I will check it when I get home (which should trigger the action).

Thanks again for your help!

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:27 pm
jingai offline

That did it! It triggered on my way home from work :)

Thanks again!

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:40 pm
jingai offline

It seems to trigger now when I leave the fence, but it's also triggering the entrance action group 10-15 minutes later, even though I did not re-enter. It only does this once and is not triggering a second time when I do actually return.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Posted on
Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:15 am
jingai offline

Oh, it appears the latest update just fixed this. Thanks :)

Page 1 of 1