Video flickering

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:05 am
lochnesz offline

Video flickering

Hi Adam,

I am experiencing some issues with my camera feeds using DomoPad.
The video is flickering in DomoPad, but viewing the control page with a web browser shows good video using the same Android device.

I have attached pics of this. Wasn't allowed to upload mp4 video here.

Any thoughts?

Peter
Attachments
WebBrowser.JPG
WebBrowser.JPG (155.26 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
DomoPad.JPG
DomoPad.JPG (154.98 KiB) Viewed 4573 times

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:04 am
RogueProeliator online

Re: Video flickering

I assume these are just refreshing images? What refresh frequency are you using?

Adam

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:58 pm
lochnesz offline

Correct, refreshing jpeg images.

Three were continuous and then I had one on 10 seconds and two on 4 seconds.
I changed so only one is continuous now and the others on a, 4 and 10 seconds, to see if there is any change.

I just realized that this DomoPad client wasn't paired with the plugin. I have now paired it. Can that make any difference in regard to my issue?

Peter

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:14 pm
RogueProeliator online

I just realized that this DomoPad client wasn't paired with the plugin. I have now paired it. Can that make any difference in regard to my issue?

No, that is really only required for Push Notifications -- it wouldn't affect control page processing.

Three were continuous and then I had one on 10 seconds and two on 4 seconds.
I changed so only one is continuous now and the others on a, 4 and 10 seconds, to see if there is any change.

My guess is that the app is attempting to load or redraw an image before the last is done or has been invalidated or something. I don't believe I have any on my normal page that refresh that often, but I will give it a test and see if i can duplicate it.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:11 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

For what it's worth, I used to have this issue when viewing my Cameras page in the Native view, but Web View was fine. I'd take a look to see if that helps narrow down where the issue lies for you.

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:53 pm
lochnesz offline

SpencerJRoberts wrote:
For what it's worth, I used to have this issue when viewing my Cameras page in the Native view, but Web View was fine. I'd take a look to see if that helps narrow down where the issue lies for you.

What do you mean by native and web view? I am fetching JPEG "still" images from the cameras.

Did you only have problems in DomoPad and not in Touch and or web GUI?

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:48 am
SpencerJRoberts offline

In DomoPad you can view a control page with "Native View" or "Web View". There is a preference for your default viewing option and you can also tap and hold a control page to open it in either view. A while back I had your same issue when viewing my camera page in Native View but not in Web view.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:31 pm
lochnesz offline

SpencerJRoberts wrote:
In DomoPad you can view a control page with "Native View" or "Web View". There is a preference for your default viewing option and you can also tap and hold a control page to open it in either view. A while back I had your same issue when viewing my camera page in Native View but not in Web view.

You are correct, it works fine in Web View. I did not know about this setting.

Is there any disadvantage using Web View over Native View?

Peter

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:34 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

There are more features and niceties that Adam has coded into Native View, I'm not sure what the whole list is but he can chime in here. I can't remember how I fixed mine, but my video no longer does that in Native View. I'll try to search back through some emails with Adam to see if I can dig up the solution.

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:51 pm
lochnesz offline

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:56 pm
RogueProeliator online

Is there any disadvantage using Web View over Native View?

As Spencer mentioned, there are a bunch of customizations that are not available in the WebView; the display via the web is really only in there now to support those who may have customized the web templates to display things that won't ever display in Native view (such as custom HTML).

You are correct, it works fine in Web View.

The web browsers are likely rendering the images at a much lower level than normal applications use, and are probably better handling updates that happen before a redraw (or else just drawing so fast it doesn't matter). Again, this is a guess.

Are the images you set at 10s showing and refreshing okay?

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:09 pm
lochnesz offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Are the images you set at 10s showing and refreshing okay?

I think so, I had one image which didn't load okay a few times, but that is from an external public web cam, so it is probably some other problem there at times.

SpencerJRoberts mentioned that there might be a solution to make it work in Native View?

Do you know what continuous means in Indigo? How may times is the image fetched per second when set to continuous?

Peter

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:42 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

I think what I decided the issue was way back when was that on a slower network connection on my phone (outside of local wifi) the redraw issue was happening, but not when I was on local wifi.

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:46 pm
lochnesz offline

I had this both on the local wifi and externally. I can't try locally now, because the cameras are in my summer house which is rented out at the moment.

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:34 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Hmm, perhaps it's a different issue then, or I just got lucky and only experienced it remotely for some reason.

Page 1 of 1