1st Gen Nexus 7 Tablets

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:32 am
roussell offline

1st Gen Nexus 7 Tablets

I've been struggling with slow-downs and terrible performance with my 1st gen (2012) Nexus 7 tablet for a while. I never remembered it being so bad when I got it and actually used to brag on the great value of the device. It's been upgraded as Google would release new Android versions and lately even rooted and had custom ROMs installed to try and re-gain the original performance that was lost through the years. Nothing worked, until today...

I returned the device to it's original, as-shipped Android 4.2.2 version. Performance is phenomenal now. It's the speedy responsive tablet that I remember when I first purchased it. Also, my main two apps - Sonos and DomoPad work great so I'm planning on keeping it at this version for it's lifetime and may even purchase a couple more along with the excellent Asus stand since they should be nice and cheep now.

If there are any other 2012 N7 users out there looking to revert for improved performance; I downloaded the "Nexus 7 One Click Toolkit for Mac" at this link: http://www.androidrootz.com/2012/12/nex ... r-mac.html

At the bottom of the page I selected the "One-Click Unroot/Restore to Stock 4.2.2 Toolkit WiFi" link and downloaded the zip. open a Terminal window and navigate to "./Downloads/Nexus 7 Stock.Unroot 4.2.2 WiFi/Nexus 7 Stock_Unroot 4.2.2 WiFi" and execute the shell script; "./Unroot.Nexus.7.to.4.2.2.WiFi.tool"

Plug in the N7 to your Mac's USB port, boot the N7 into "Fastboot mode" (power off, then hold down Vol Down and Power button until you see the fast boot screen) Then just follow the instructions in the shell script, which will wipe the device (backup if it's important to you) and take the N7 back to out-of-the-box version and performance. Including downloading, the entire process took about 5-6 minutes. Hopefully this helps somebody stuck in a similar situation.

Terry

Page 1 of 1