HousePad Beta v0.3 Released

Posted on
Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: HousePad Beta v0.3 Released

The native view of control pages in HousePad simply isn't ready for prime-time yet... I have not yet had time to look into making the rendering match the web view in most circumstances (some specific things, as you have found, break the rendering process). The focus recently has been on getting Geofencing and widgets working; once that and some ease-of-setup tasks are done, I should be turning my focus to control pages. The web-based rendering inside of HousePad works very well except for popup-up actions.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 pm
TheTechnoPilot offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
...The web-based rendering inside of HousePad works very well except for popup-up actions.

Thanks for the fast reply Adam. The focus on getting some of the other features to work first makes total sense, however please note that the web view mode on the Google Nexus 7 is in fact not rendering properly and all of the font sizes and alignments go off. Specifically all the fonts render to small and the alignments seem to drift to the right. This issue however does not occur on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which is running at the same native resolution, so either an issue with running on a tablet version of Android or specific to the Nexus 7 (Late Model). I would test with another Android tablet, but I do not have a different kind on hand.

Again, amazing work on the app! Also I actually just thought I would comment that I just discovered tonight that you are the same person with some fabulous control pages that I eyed over on the control page thread a couple months back, seriously nice work on the UI! I can imagine why you so wanted a native app for Android now and can seen the similar design cues. ;)

Cheers,
Sean "TheTechnoPilot"

Android's Tasker, to a person who does home automation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Posted on
Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks for the kind words! Those control pages, obviously Android-inspired, are running on a 23" android monitor. Did I mention that I like Android? ;-)

I am, however, very confused as to how the rendering could be messed up on your Nexus 7 when displaying in Web mode... I know several users (including myself) are using Nexus 7's without any issues -- and the web mode does not try to do any special handling at all based on resolution or display DPI.

What versions of Android are you running on the devices? Also, what font (typeface/size) is selected in your control page for those that are mis-aligning? Lastly, does the page look ok on the 7 when viewed in Chrome?

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 pm
TheTechnoPilot offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Thanks for the kind words! Those control pages, obviously Android-inspired, are running on a 23" android monitor. Did I mention that I like Android? ;-)

I am, however, very confused as to how the rendering could be messed up on your Nexus 7 when displaying in Web mode... I know several users (including myself) are using Nexus 7's without any issues -- and the web mode does not try to do any special handling at all based on resolution or display DPI.

What versions of Android are you running on the devices? Also, what font (typeface/size) is selected in your control page for those that are mis-aligning? Lastly, does the page look ok on the 7 when viewed in Chrome?

Adam

YOU LIKE ANDROID?! ;)

My Note 3 is running on Android 4.4.2 and my Nexus 7 is running on 4.4.3. All my control pages are actually using the stock font of Indigo, Arial and in-fact if you look at the images I ve included, everything from 28pt to 150pt are rendering small, (in fact almost the exact same physical size on screen between my Note 3 and the Nexus 7). Both screen shots included, same as above were taken on the Nexus 7, with the first one with the correct sizes and alignment in Chrome and then with the weird sizing and alignment in HousePad.

Correct Sizing & Alignment (Chrome)
Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-50-58.png
Correct Sizing & Alignment (Chrome)
Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-50-58.png (358.84 KiB) Viewed 4876 times

Incorrect Sizing & Alignment (HousePad)
Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-49-56.png
Incorrect Sizing & Alignment (HousePad)
Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-49-56.png (344.68 KiB) Viewed 4876 times

Android's Tasker, to a person who does home automation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Posted on
Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Any chance you can try out the native rendering again? I am SURE it won't be rendering properly, but would like to see what the native look is like on your pages that were very far off before... my pages are rendering pretty close to accurate, but there are so many variables in a control page design that I know we may still be way off on yours.

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:27 pm
rhanson offline

Fantastic work! Finally got around to installing this. For the most part, it's working great!

I do get the SQL Logger not configured properly message - even though the web plugin does say that it was successfully configured. So I can't see the log or historical values.

Keep it up, and let us know when you're ready to accept purchases/donations!

Posted on
Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:02 am
RogueProeliator offline

Glad that you are liking the application! I need to enhance the the web-based check for SQL Logger as it only ensures that it can find the preferences file and maybe (can't remember off-hand) open the database. It does not check to be sure that you have turned on logging for the particular types for which you wish to view history. Unfortunately, to the Android HousePad either situation is a similar result that "SQL Logger is not configured properly to view history".

Please configure the SQL Logger plugin (via the standard Plugins -> SQL Logger -> Configure) dialog box and ensure that the three types have a checkbox next to them (Devices, Variables, Event Log) in order to capture all three histories.

If they already are checked, save that dialog and look at the Indigo Log to be sure no error is generated. Those two situations (database not created/found and a particular type not being enabled) should be the only two things generating the message you described. If it is something else we will need to dig deeper...

Adam

Posted on
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:10 am
waveuk offline

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for your application it is really very good :)

I just have one problem. All devices under root folder are available and work fine but not the ones on subfolders. They are shown as empty.

Tx

Posted on
Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:51 pm
RogueProeliator offline

If you would, please go to one of the empty folders and hit the Menu Button -> Help. Then choose to Send Debug. This will send me some more details, such as the communication with the Indigo server, that will help us debug the issue.

Thanks,
Adam

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:36 am
waveuk offline

Done!

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 am
RogueProeliator offline

Ok, just checked and I received it, so will work on deciphering what exactly is throwing off the parsing. When it shows the device list empty -- is it saying that no devices were found or is the list literally just blank?

Thanks,
Adam

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:41 am
waveuk offline

Just blank. I have also tried with an empty folder and the same, no message.

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

My HousePad version seemed to be able to parse the commands that were sent and showed devices (I just have to assume they are correct, but at least it did show devices in the list). SO, before we debug any further, please try installing the latest Release Candidate from the URL below and see if your results are any different. I don't really know/expect this to fix the issue, but it is a first step...

HousePad 0.7.1 Release Candidate

Adam

Posted on
Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:30 am
waveuk offline

Thanks Adam!

It is working great now :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:01 am
waveuk offline

Quick update, I installed it on my wife's Samsung G5 and same problem. It looks something that is phone version related.