Yamaha RX Plugin - a/v receiver control

Posted on
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha RX Plugin - a/v receiver control

Ramias wrote:
The python library this is built on here: https://github.com/wuub/rxv/blob/master/rxv/rxv.py looks like it was updated recently to support scenes. Any chance we can get that added here?

Unfortunately, I no longer have a Yamaha amp to test with, so I won't be making any more changes to the plugin aside from super easy ones (like adding an input). But the source is on GitHub if anyone else wants to tackle it - we'll gladly accept pull requests and generate new releases in the Plugin Store.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 06, 2019 6:17 pm
welchgregusa offline

Seems to work with my RX-V685 — both main and zone 2. ( RX-Vx73 series selected.) Thanks guys — I really appreciate it!!!

Posted on
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:25 pm
Different Computers offline

Thought I'd post a quick compatibility note that at least initially, before other testing, the Yamaha TSR-7850 seems compatible with your plugin.

I say initially because I'm remoting to my Indigo setup, and I can't test sending commands to the receiver without upsetting my wife. But the plugin instantly found the receiver, and it gets statuses that make sense from it.

This might be interesting to readers here because this receiver is (or at least was) available online as a refurb for just $250, and it also supports Airplay 2.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:24 am
Different Computers offline

I can now confirm that the the Yamaha TSR-7850 is compatible with this plugin for on/off, source, and volume control. That seems like 90% of what most people would want this for.

If my TV supported CEC, I wouldn't need any other AV control!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the report.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:17 am
Betacruxis offline

Yamaha RX Plugin - a/v receiver control v1.0.4

I was using the version 0.1.2, because non of the 1.--- were working for me.
I am trying to edit and correct the latest version (1.0.4) and so far I manage to find and correct some errors.
I must add I am not skilled in plug-in or script making. I'm just trying to track and trial-and-error correct them.
That is also because I don't have any docs describing Yamaha Receptors web server behavior.
So far I resolved this errors:

Yamaha RX Receiver Error exception in deviceStartComm(Amplificador Living): 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'text'
Yamaha RX Receiver Error runConcurrentThread error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 190, in runConcurrentThread
self.updateStatus(devId)
File "plugin.py", line 270, in updateStatus
volume = root.find("./Main_Zone/Basic_Status/Vol/Lvl/Val").text
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'text'

I got rid of them mainly tacking the lines on the py files and correcting the syntax.

But now I get this one:

Upgrading plugin Yamaha RX Receiver to newer version 1.0.4 (previous version moved to trash)
Loading plugin "Yamaha RX Receiver 1.0.4"
Starting plugin "Yamaha RX Receiver 1.0.4" (pid 11913)
Started plugin "Yamaha RX Receiver 1.0.4"
Error cannot update device state for key input to value NET RADIO (invalid enumeration value)
Trigger Sintoamplificador Living Volumen
Action Group Amplificador - Actualizar
Error cannot update device state for key input to value NET RADIO (invalid enumeration value)
Schedule Amplificador - Actualizar
Schedule Sintoamplificador Living Volumen (delayed action)

This error repites itself until I disable the plug-in.
What is causing this error?
Looks like is the plug-in, but I have no clue on how to track it or where to look for it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The first error you identify means that the value for the volume in the XML isn't a text value. It may mean that the volume information is no longer on the path that it was when the original developer of this plugin created it.

The second error makes less sense, because the ClassicReceiver object does in fact define NET RADIO (actual value net_radio) as a valid input. I think the best option would be to post the actual XML that's returned from the receiver in the root variable:

Code: Select all
root = ClassicReceiver.xmitToReceiver(dev, xml_string)

That's line 266 in the current version of the plugin (in the updateStatus method).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 pm
tim offline

I just solved a similar problem with this plugin and the Spotify input. After adding Spotify to the input list in Devices.xml, I had to delete and recreate the receiver device. Apparently it grabs the inputs when it is created and doesn't see updates to the XML.

Posted on
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 am
jltnol offline

Hey Folks

a very minor error to report.

For the very first time, I'm sending audio from my phone to my Yamaha receiver via Bluetooth, and am now getting this repeating error message over and over. Don't know what might be causing this, and is of little consequence.... just wanted to make a note of it.
Code: Select all
Error                           cannot update device state for key input to value Bluetooth (invalid enumeration value)
   Error                           cannot update device state for key input to value Bluetooth (invalid enumeration value)

I'm half-way guessing the receiver is reporting info that Indigo isn't setup to receive.. ?

Posted on
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:27 am
jltnol offline

So just curious about this plugin and trigger actions. While I can set up a trigger to fire when a particular input becomes "True", it would be helpful to be able to fire a trigger whenever the input changes. As it is, I've got 3 triggers setup to handle something that I could probably do with the ability to fire the trigger whenever the input changes, and a little bit of python.

Posted on
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

This plugin is community supported, so you’ll want to open an enhancement issue on its GitHub repository and perhaps someone will pick it up.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2022 4:16 am
autolog offline

A Python 3 version should be available for testing in a short while. :)

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2022 5:44 am
Ramias offline

Will it support scenes?

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2022 10:22 am
autolog offline

Ramias wrote:
Will it support scenes?

Not in its intial release as it is just a porting to Python 3 exercise with no additional function.

Once that has been achieved, we can then start to look at enhancements. :)

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2022 10:29 am
autolog offline

I have forked the plugin on Github to my Autolog repositories.

The Python 3 converted test pre-release is available here: Yamaha RX Update for Indigo 2022.1

NOTE: This has not been tested as I don't have a Yamah receiver and this conversion is being done as a service to the community. :P

I'll await the bug reports. ;)

Once it has been tested to our satisfaction and has been peer reviewed, it will be updated in the Indigo Plugin Store.