controLinc V2 - Indigo, X10 to Insteon conversion question

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:29 pm
outlanderbz offline

controLinc V2 - Indigo, X10 to Insteon conversion question

I have a pretty simple setup. I have about 7 devices being controlled; 5 lights and an aquarium in my home theater area. I used to control these devices using x10 with a ir-543 IR to X10 controller, a harmony remote, indigo and a 1132u.

I have made the move to Insteon with the platnium package from fun for geeks.

everything seems to be working. I no longer use the harmony remote setup and instead put the controLinc on the end table. I configured Indigo to list all my devices including the controLinc V2. Instead of "linking" the x10 and/or Insteon devices to the controLinc I created triggers in Indigo so when Indigo recieves a command from the controLinc it then sends the command to the device. This has proven to be a bit slow at times. Currently all 5 lamps are X10 with 5 LampLinc Insteons arriving on Tuesday of this week.

the reason i set it up this way i so Indigo knows the status of the lamps at all times. The only way to turn them on and off is through Indigo this way. The other reason is because the aquarium On and Off actually do a group action and I have a movie mode which turns multiple lights off in order.

So, my questions are
When i get the insteon lamplincs do i "link" them to the controlinc?
If i do that will indigo know their status?
Do i leave the triggers in place with the link or just use one or the other?
Does status update automatically in indigo with insteon devices?

any ideas, suggestions and any other help is appreciated. I have been reading everything i can get my hands on and have been setting all this up for days. Maybe i just need a day or two break from it....

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: controLinc V2 - Indigo, X10 to Insteon conversion questi

Indigo does track, but does not yet allow you to create within the UI, INSTEON scenes. This means if you directly link the new LampLinc V2s to the ControLinc, Indigo will correctly show their states as you use the ControLinc. Note anytime you add a LampLinc into the ControLinc you need to re-sync that LampLinc's links from the Device dialog -- that allows Indigo to keep track of everything. This all only works with INSTEON scenes/groups. X10 based scenes are not tracked.

Because of the above, you probably don't need the Trigger Action in Indigo once you setup the new LampLincs. Sounds like you might still want it for the aquarium on/off though. If you do keep it, you'll notice an Action Group that is sending commands to INSTEON devices is faster than one that sends commands to X10 devices.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:25 pm
outlanderbz offline

(No subject)

i want to thank you for answering my questions perfectly. I can not wait for the UPS guy to come now and get those INSTEON's setup. This will also allow me to use the dimmer commands from the controLinc.

You are correct that i will need to keep the action group for the aquarium because when i hit "On" and "Off" on the controLinc it is really like a "Day" and "Night", the day light goes on and night bulb goes off and vice versa thru the action group.

I am a 2 week newb to Indigo. I swiched to a mac last month with my new imac G5 and Indigo blows smarthome manager away! Just like everything else on my mac over a my old PC.

Great Product and from all the posts i have read on here, great support!

Thank You

Page 1 of 1