Non-admin users can only connect to Servers already running

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 am
wideglidejrp offline

Non-admin users can only connect to Servers already running

I have been using Indigo 5.1.6 on a Mac Mini with good success. I have now decided to run it on a new iMac. I am using a 2413U modem. I downloaded and install the driver. When I launch Indigo and try to start local server, I get the following message "Non-administrator users can only connect to Indigo Servers which are already running.' I do not know how to fix this. I am logged into the iMac as an administrator. I am the only user. I would appreciate guidance on what to do next. Thank you.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Non-admin users can only connect to Servers already runn

You probably used Migration Assistant to move stuff from your Mini to the iMac - it almost always screws permissions up. Download the latest Indigo 5 installer and rerun it - it should fix the permissions problems.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re-run the latest Indigo 5.1.x installer (5.1.8 as of right now). Apple's migration assistant does a poor job of maintaining the correct file/owner permissions, unfortunately.

(doh -- Jay beat me to the post!)

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 pm
wideglidejrp offline

You guys are the best! I did as you suggested and that got me back in business. If you will indulge me, I have two other questions, one tactical and one strategic.

Tactical. I have about 15 devices. Some work, some don't. Here a snippet from my log:

Feb 9, 2013 11:51:04 AM
Error "Living Room Ceiling Fan Light" on; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Living Room Ceiling Fan Light" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)

Feb 9, 2013 11:51:26 AM
Error "Kitchen Chandelier" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Action Group Kitchen All Off
Error "Kitchen cabinet" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Kitchen Recessed" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)

Feb 9, 2013 11:52:16 AM
Error "Terrace " on; send failed (no acknowledgment)

Suggestions?

Strategic. In about a year I am moving into a carriage house that I am downsizing to. It is being built from scratch so I can implement most any HA solution. How does Indigo stack up against Savantsystems.com? How does Insteon stack up against ziby et al?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The "send failed (no acknowledgment)" errors indicate that the device didn't respond to the PowerLinc when it sent a command. This is most likely a signal issue. If those action groups are executing as the result of a motion sensor, you may need to add a slight delay or there will be signal collisions. Delays may also help in other scenarios.

Indigo is significantly cheaper than Savant - and Savant isn't a DIY system but rather you must pay a professional installer to configure and install it (you're likely to have no direct ability to configure/change anything yourself). Also, depending on the installer's policy/licensing, you may not end up owning the "programming" but rather just licensing it so if you ever wanted to switch to someone else to modify the functionality you may be out of luck. We've not done any kind of further comparison because we serve two very different markets.

We added Z-Wave support in Indigo 6 because it's available worldwide and it's not subject to the same power line signal noise issues that INSTEON and X10 are, though it has it's own range and interference issues. ZigBee is something we're watching closely, but so far there aren't very many ZigBee home automation devices and what's available is quite expensive by comparison. We think that ZigBee is probably technically better than Z-Wave so we have hopes that at some point in the future there will be a wider range of devices available for it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:23 am
mweber88 offline

Guys--

In the process of doing a massive upgrade on my system, I, too, have used Migration Assistant and now get the same error. However, I'm using Indigo 4.x, and re-running the installer hasn't helped.

My plan was to make sure all worked properly with El Capitan and then upgrade to the latest version, but I don't like to upgrade if something's not working correctly. So, is there something else I can do rather quickly to get things functioning again? Or, if not, since I will be upgrading, will it be safe to upgrade at this point right now?

Mike

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:21 am
mweber88 offline

Nevermind. I just checked the ownership/membership of the /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation directory and its contents and saw the group was different from the original, so I just used find and updated to the previous owner/group, and it's up again.

I'm looking forward to upgrading and getting plugins for the different things I have, including writing a plugin for Mythtv frontend. 8)

Thanks for a great product!

Best,
Mike

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mweber88 wrote:
I'm using Indigo 4.x ... My plan was to make sure all worked properly with El Capitan and then upgrade to the latest version, but I don't like to upgrade if something's not working correctly.

Don't be surprised if Indigo 4 doesn't work correctly. The last OS version that we did any real testing of Indigo 4 on was Mountain Lion (and there are known issues) since support for Indigo 4 ended basically 7 years ago. :wink:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 am
FlyingDiver offline

mweber88 wrote:
My plan was to make sure all worked properly with El Capitan and then upgrade to the latest version, but I don't like to upgrade if something's not working correctly.

Are you upgrading Indigo or MacOS or both?

Don't be surprised if a lot of cloud-based plugins don't work on El Capitan. Many cloud services require later versions of TLS which are only available (to Python) in High Sierra or later.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:35 pm
mweber88 offline

jay (support) wrote:
mweber88 wrote:
I'm using Indigo 4.x ... My plan was to make sure all worked properly with El Capitan and then upgrade to the latest version, but I don't like to upgrade if something's not working correctly.

Don't be surprised if Indigo 4 doesn't work correctly. The last OS version that we did any real testing of Indigo 4 on was Mountain Lion (and there are known issues) since support for Indigo 4 ended basically 7 years ago. :wink:

Actually, so far I haven't had any issues after I changed the file ownership after using Migration Assistant. None of the issues you identified in the link apply to my usage, so I'm good there.

I'm looking now to do my upgrade and get on those plugins!

Thanks for the info, again! :D

Mike

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:41 pm
mweber88 offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
mweber88 wrote:
My plan was to make sure all worked properly with El Capitan and then upgrade to the latest version, but I don't like to upgrade if something's not working correctly.

Are you upgrading Indigo or MacOS or both?

Don't be surprised if a lot of cloud-based plugins don't work on El Capitan. Many cloud services require later versions of TLS which are only available (to Python) in High Sierra or later.

Well, I kept my OS version at 10.7 until yesterday since I knew Indigo would have some issues beyond it. Now I want to upgrade Indigo since I want to come a little farther forward with my home automation and make use of plugins.

And, you have sparked my interest, and now I have questions. I plan to use Rachio irrigation controller, and I am betting that's a cloud-based plugin.

Is the version of Python required 3 or later? And, must it be native to the OS, or can it be a real Python installation?

Also, does Indigo require Python 3, or only 2.7?

Best,
Mike

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:14 pm
FlyingDiver offline

mweber88 wrote:
Is the version of Python required 3 or later? And, must it be native to the OS, or can it be a real Python installation?

Also, does Indigo require Python 3, or only 2.7?

It's the native Python 2.7 but with the correct SSL libraries, which didn't come out until High Sierra.

If you really want Python 3 for non-Indigo use, you can install the pure Python3 package from python.org. Don't use ports or homebrew as they will mess up the native Python 2.7 install which Indigo needs.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1