Device groups and INSTEON

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:05 pm
dtich offline

Device groups and INSTEON

so, i used x10 house code groups to turn off batches of lights... now with insteon, i assume those house codes have no meaning (some devices i've reset and erased x10 addresses, others still have them.. just haven't gotten everything done.... day job..), so...

if i have say, an 'all lights off' action group that includes only housecodes a-d, to effectuate this same thing using insteon do i need to make that action group turn off all those fixtures individually?

is there any way to make groups of this kind w/ insteon, indigo?

i don't mean scenes, or hard groups, because i don't want these units to respond that way anytime except when sending this all off command... i mean suppose i want just the living room off, in x10 i could send house code a all lights off, now i will have to send the individual commands, yes?

any ideas? tia.

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:46 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Device groups and INSTEON

dtich wrote:
s...to effectuate this same thing using insteon do i need to make that action group turn off all those fixtures individually?

Correct, you'll need an Action Group that manually turns off each INSTEON device. I was thinking about adding an All INSTEON Off group link automatically to all the INSTEON devices during the sync process. This would let Indigo turn all the INSTEON devices off at once (would also add an all on). When I do this, I could add a checkbox that specifies during the sync process if that device should have the All On/All Off link added. But this would still act on a global level. There wouldn't be multiple All On/Off groups. For that type of functionality we need group/scene support. Lots of neat stuff we can do here eventually. For now, you need to use Action Groups.

Matt

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:53 pm
dtich offline

(No subject)

got it, thx.

Page 1 of 1