Connecting Indigo to ADT Pulse Alarm System

Posted on
Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:52 am
ryanbuckner offline

Connecting Indigo to ADT Pulse Alarm System

I have a monitored ADT system with a Safewatch Pro 3000EN control panel. I also have the new ADT pulse system which looks like a wireless router with 4 additional wires to a non powered, unlabeled white box.

My questions:
What hardware would I need to integrate my system with Indigo?
What plugins can I use on the software side?
Are there any risks to compromising my existing security hardware or service?
Has anyone integrated with Pulse here?

I've attached some pictures of the pulse connections:
Attachments
alarm.JPG
Connection on the back of the ADT router
alarm.JPG (95.35 KiB) Viewed 4264 times

Posted on
Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 am
pbaperez offline

Re: Connecting Indigo to ADT Pulse Alarm System

I have one of these too so i'm going to latch on to this thread to see if any made any progress.

Posted on
Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 am
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks pbaperez. Do you also have one of these unpowered white boxes connected to the router?

I'm guessing our first question should be whether we can connect something to this router or do we have to connect directly to the Control Panel.
Attachments
ADT2.JPG
Non powered box connected to Pulse router
ADT2.JPG (96.63 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

Posted on
Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm
pbaperez offline

I have the cellular unit so I dont have that router you reference. I did read here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7584&p=51957&hilit=Honeywell#p51957, About the plug in and adapter needed. I'm sure this would work but haven't tried it. I don't have the technical means by which to try and troubleshoot it so I hoping someone here will.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:26 pm
ryanbuckner offline

We need a little love from one of the Security plugin developers here.

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:19 am
berkinet offline

The problem isn't one of love. The issue is that to develop the plugin you want, someone would need to have BOTH the alarm hardware and software development skills (not to mention time).

It may be that the alarm in question uses the same interface as some other system and could work with an existing plugin. But, determining that would be up to someone who actually has one of these alarms, or can at least provide some good technical information.

Finally, it is not clear that you are talking about just one system here. I get the impression that there are at least two different systems being discussed. Note that ADT does not manufacture alarms. They use systems made by other vendors, often re-sold under their own ADT brand name.

So, your homework is to find out exactly what you have, and get some technical documentation. You need to know about both the hardware interface and the signaling protocol. (Note also that the hardware interface is often an extra cost option in alarm systems.) With that information, someone here may be able to determine if there is already something you can use, or if you need to develop something from scratch.

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:35 am
ryanbuckner offline

berkinet wrote:
The problem isn't one of love. The issue is that to develop the plugin you want, someone would need to have BOTH the alarm hardware and software development skills (not to mention time).

It may be that the alarm in question uses the same interface as some other system and could work with an existing plugin. But, determining that would be up to someone who actually has one of these alarms, or can at least provide some good technical information.

Finally, it is not clear that you are talking about just one system here. I get the impression that there are at least two different systems being discussed. Note that ADT does not manufacture alarms. They use systems made by other vendors, often re-sold under their own ADT brand name.

So, your homework is to find out exactly what you have, and get some technical documentation. You need to know about both the hardware interface and the signaling protocol. (Note also that the hardware interface is often an extra cost option in alarm systems.) With that information, someone here may be able to determine if there is already something you can use, or if you need to develop something from scratch.

Thanks. The goal was really just to get the discussion running. I have a Safewatch Pro 3000EN control panel with the pulse router (iControl Networks: iHub-3000) pictured above. As you mentioned, not manufactured by ADT.

I'm digging for some documentation. Thanks for your input.

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:02 am
berkinet offline

ryanbuckner read my previous post and wrote:
I have a Safewatch Pro 3000EN control panel with the pulse router (iControl Networks: iHub-3000) pictured above. As you mentioned, not manufactured by ADT.

I'm digging for some documentation...

You can put down the shovel... :lol: It looks like your Safewatch Pro 3000EN is a Vista 20P (Honeywell/Ademco). Take a look at this post on the diy alarm forum. The pulse router seems to be some type of external interface to remote services offered by ADT.

You might be able to interface Indigo to the pulse router. But, it is probably easier to just connect to the control panel. You'll need an interface adapter to go from the Vista serial bus to RS-232 serial and you can do that with an AD2USB from NuTech.com. If you can run a 2-pair (4 wire) line from your panel to your Mac you should probably get the USB version. Otherwise, the AD2SERIAL will interface easily to a serial/ethernet adapter letting you locate the adapter at the panel.

Once you have that in place, you can download the ad2usb plugin from the Indigo Contributions Library and then check out the ad2usb plugin forum.

Check out the user forums on the NuTech web site as well. There is a lot of useful information there and their staff is very helpful.

Good luck.

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 am
ryanbuckner offline

berkinet wrote:
ryanbuckner read my previous post and wrote:
I have a Safewatch Pro 3000EN control panel with the pulse router (iControl Networks: iHub-3000) pictured above. As you mentioned, not manufactured by ADT.

I'm digging for some documentation...

You can put down the shovel... :lol: It looks like your Safewatch Pro 3000EN is a Vista 20P (Honeywell/Ademco). Take a look at this post on the diy alarm forum. The pulse router seems to be some type of external interface to remote services offered by ADT.

You might be able to interface Indigo to the pulse router. But, it is probably easier to just connect to the control panel. You'll need an interface adapter to go from the Vista serial bus to RS-232 serial and you can do that with an AD2USB from NuTech.com. If you can run a 2-pair (4 wire) line from your panel to your Mac you should probably get the USB version. Otherwise, the AD2SERIAL will interface easily to a serial/ethernet adapter letting you locate the adapter at the panel.

Once you have that in place, you can download the ad2usb plugin from the Indigo Contributions Library and then check out the ad2usb plugin forum.

Check out the user forums on the NuTech web site as well. There is a lot of useful information there and their staff is very helpful.

Good luck.

This is exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you so much for your time.

Posted on
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:39 pm
MichaelinAustin offline

I was hoping to be able to create an interface between ADT Pulse and Indigo such that I could get Indigo to alert me when my front door has opened, something of which ADT is aware but Indigo is not. I really don't have a need for any other interaction between the two. I didn't see an easy way to create the one interaction that I do need, though, so I did something I rarely do--I looked at Pulse's capabilities. They are in general so meager compared with Indigo's that I have almost totally ignored them, but in this instance they were all I needed. It is easy to create a Rule that tells Pulse to email me and text me when my front door opens, so I did so.

Posted on
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:49 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks. I use Insteon door sensors for this integration with Indigo but I plan to check out the other alerting capabilities to see if I can take advantage of them

Page 1 of 1