Insteon Fanlinc

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon Fanlinc

I cannot provide you with a time frame, but I wouldn't consider this a critical issue. You can create Action Groups to set the specific speeds (or increment/decrement speeds) or you can create a custom Control Page with buttons that do whatever action you want. The only part pgershon is asking about is the UI popup that is shown when you select the device.

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 pm
CraigM offline

matt (support) wrote:
I cannot provide you with a time frame, but I wouldn't consider this a critical issue. You can create Action Groups to set the specific speeds (or increment/decrement speeds) or you can create a custom Control Page with buttons that do whatever action you want. The only part pgershon is asking about is the UI popup that is shown when you select the device.

Sorry, I was referring to the next Touch release, not this specific feature.

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The answer is the same - definitely not in the next 3 months is about as specific as we can get.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm
pgershon offline

Already made the action groups to handle it.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:09 pm
gregjsmith offline

Sorry if I missed it but is there already docs on how to control the Fanlinc via Applescript?

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There are no motor speed control AppleScript APIs (we did add them for python though), so you'll have to create Action Groups for each speed that you want to control then execute the Action Group.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:53 pm
gregjsmith offline

Any plans to add applescript commands for the fanlinc?

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Nope. We aren't dropping/removing AppleScript support, but we have no plans to add to it. If you are interested, I can show you how easy it is to do in python. :lol:

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Here are some examples:

Code: Select all
dev = indigo.devices[518185989]      # ID can be found by right-clicking on the device

# Changing it to a specific speed:
indigo.speedcontrol.setSpeedIndex(dev, 0)            # OFF
indigo.speedcontrol.setSpeedIndex(dev, 1)            # LOW
indigo.speedcontrol.setSpeedIndex(dev, 2)            # MEDIUM
indigo.speedcontrol.setSpeedIndex(dev, 3)            # HIGH
indigo.speedcontrol.setSpeedIndex(dev, 2, delay=6)   # MEDIUM in 6 seconds

# And performing relative speed changes:
indigo.speedcontrol.increaseSpeedIndex(dev)
indigo.speedcontrol.decreaseSpeedIndex(dev)

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:22 pm
gregjsmith offline

I dont know how I use this python code when I already have (extensive) applescript to control my ceiling fans.

In applescript I would use the following in the applescript editor:

tell application "Indigoserver"
brighten device "Light" to 100
end tell

what do I do with this code? How do I execute it?

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

From the action panel in Indigo you would could paste it in as an embedded script (choose python instead of AppleScript). Or you can save it as a file with the extension ".py" and execute it from the action panel as a script file.

Posted on
Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 pm
DU Lou offline

Ceiling Fan Enclosure: Insteon Fanlinc

Update: Matt/Jay, after submitting this post, I just realized this may not be the best place for it since the rest of the post is mostly software related to the device. Feel free to move this if you think it's appropriate :)

So I had no problem fitting a Fanlinc in this enclosure:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (28.37 KiB) Viewed 4191 times

But what is the consensus on this type of enclosure: (Will if fit?)
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 4191 times

Thanks!
~Lou

Posted on
Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:59 am
Fun4me offline

Is anyone controlling a Hunter Fan, that previously had an 85112-04 remote controller unit in it, with a Fanlinc? I have been unable to find a wiring diagram for the 85112 but I can tell you that the cables from the fan that are going to the controller are white/black and then yellow/red/gray/pink and a single brown wire coming from the side. I have attached a picture below:

fan.JPG
fan.JPG (97.75 KiB) Viewed 4152 times

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on
Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Fun4me offline

Hunter Fan solution: Looks like I found a work around. In case anybody else has a hunter fan with a remote and similar wiring, here is what I did:

I removed the receiver from the fan and clipped the connector off of the receiver so that I can use it with the Fanlinc. I found that the fan won't spin without a capacitor but luckily the receiver had three big yellow capacitors on it! Mine had a 4.5uf, 5uf and 6uf. I clipped the 5uf off and used that first but found that the fan spun too slow on low and medium. The 4.5uf works a little better but I believe a 3.5uf will do the trick for true low/medium speeds. I ordered the following from Amazon to try it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087ZA9QU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A1THAZDOWP300U

For now, I soldered a wire on each end of the 4.5uf clipped capacitor and attached one wire to the red wire from the clipped receiver connector and attached the other capacitor wire, yellow connector wire and white Fanlinc wire to the neutral white wire on the clipped receiver connector. Then I attached the gray and pink wires from the clipped receiver connector to the red Fanlinc wire and the black wire from the clipped receiver connector to the black Fanlinc wire. The only thing left was to attach the blue Fanlinc wire to the black wire on the light fixture and the white wire from the light fixture to the white neutral wire on the clipped receiver connector.

I'm not sure how to switch the rotation of the fan if anyone has any ideas.

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm
SFrawley offline

matt (support) wrote:
We hope to have Fan specific controls in the next major rev of Indigo Touch. It'll be a while before that is ready though...

Is there any progress on the ability to control fan speed on the FanLinc with Indigo Touch?

If I previously had the fan running at less than full speed, will turning it on with Indigo Touch use the slower speed? I did not realize this was not in the Touch App until I programmed the unit. It is being installed now, so I guess I will find out, but the exhaust fan really howls at high.

Steve Frawley

Page 7 of 9 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9