Reset a ToggleLinc to factory Defaults

Posted on
Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 pm
bwilfong offline

Reset a ToggleLinc to factory Defaults

I have a ToggleLinc in my closet that was linked to a Trigger Link that was broken. So can't unlink the Togglelink and I'm trying to reset it to Factory Defaults. The following is from the manuals. I've tried this several ways and it doesn't work. My questions are when you pull out the set button do you hold it out for 10 seconds?? Then it says to push the set button down. Does this mean push the set button in? I've done this and it never beeps so I don't think I'm doing something correct. It's a Togglelink Version 2 Firmware Version 38. Is this older and needs to be reset differently?

Resetting ToggleLinc to its Factory Default Settings

The factory reset procedure can be used to clear the ToggleLinc memory and restore its factory default settings. This procedure will clear the unit of all INSTEON Links and any programmed X10 address.
Before resetting a ToggleLinc that has been Linked to an INSTEON Controller, be sure to Unlink it from the Controller first. See Unlinking ToggleLinc from an INSTEON Controller.

If you are using ToggleLinc to control any INSTEON devices other than the light it is wired to, Unlink those devices from ToggleLinc. See Unlinking a Controlled INSTEON Device from ToggleLinc.

Gently pull the Set button at the bottom of the switch out as far as it will go (about 1/8 inch). This "air gap" removes all power to ToggleLinc
The Status LED and the load will turn off

After 10 seconds, push the Set button all the way down and hold until the unit beeps
A few seconds after you release the Set button, the unit will double-beep and the Status LED and load will turn on

Posted on
Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Reset a ToggleLinc to factory Defaults

Resetting switches like that are a bit tricky. First, you have to pull out the set button so that it stays out (and the light on the switch goes out). Just holding it out isn't really good enough. Once you're sure it's completely out, let it sit like that for a while. I always leave them out for 30 seconds even though they say 10.

Now's the really tricky part: you have to not only push the button in so that it's no longer stuck in the "out" position, but you also have to press it in further (it won't stay pressed in by itself so you have to hold it in). And it has to be done in one fluid motion. I use a small flat-blade screw driver that's about the same size as the set button. Align it with the button and then firmly push in one motion until the button is indented into the switch. Again, I hold it there for about 30 seconds just to make sure (I think mine are old enough that they don't beep - at least I don't remember them beeping).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:33 pm
akimball offline

Re: Reset a ToggleLinc to factory Defaults

I'd like to confirm what Jay said about waiting the extra time. I have a couple of Keypadlinc's I'm working with today. One old and the other newer. Both have been used by my installation before...the older KPL I every purchased about the end of 2013 and has become a naughty child. Following the Insteon instructions in Insteon's KPL pdf... wait 10 seconds (lol) then press in the air gap button... unit resets and beeps twice... was a "no-go" procedure and no "double beep". However, when I follow Jay's instructions, waiting 30-seconds with air-gap out before, and another 30-seconds after the air-gap insertion while continuing to hold it pressed in.... then success. I hear the double beep, and the device links are finally gone. In other words, the factory reset was successful with Jay's longer intervals while Insteon's instructions are dubious.

Edit: After removing the older KPL, I put it in a table-top Insteon switch case and did a full reset again using the "Jay method"... it seems okay now (untested though).

-Al

Page 1 of 1