Any tips on calibrating a Synchrolinc?

Posted on
Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:04 am
Swancoat offline

Any tips on calibrating a Synchrolinc?

I bought a Synchrolinc with the intent of building a notification system for when our washing machine is done it's cycle. I figured it would be pretty easy, since the last thing it does is spin (which I assume uses the most current) and then stops, so if I could calibrate it to detect only that spin cycle, then set a trigger for when it 'shuts off' I'd be in business.

The biggest problem is the clunky calibration method on these things. Basically, you press the button once to set its 'low current' setting, and once more to set its 'high current' setting. The problems are that it wants to you to get the appliance to that state for 10 sec, and then hit the button (which is difficult because a) the button is behind the washing machine and I can barely reach it, and b) the washing machine changes state a lot as its setting up to spin - front loader so it does a lot of little half-starts as it tries to balance the load).

I think I get it set up, but then it still goes on and off countless times in each load. It's very frustrating.

Smarthome says it can be calibrated numerically using the HouseLinc software which I have no other use for, and is only for Windows.

Anybody know any other ways I can get this done?

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:03 pm
berkinet offline

Re: Any tips on calibrating a Synchrolinc?

I took a somewhat different approach to the same problem. I used the sense wire of an In-LineLinc to detect the state of the panel light (a fluorescent tube on a 25 year old Maytag). Then in Indigo, I have a trigger based on any state change in the light. The action is a short AppleScript that makes an announcement when the state changes from On to Off.

If the Synchrolinc is sensitive to sense when your washer is on, but only drawing a low current (I.e. the panel lights are on) you could do the same. If you cannot detect that low level of current draw, then you could add some logic in Indigo to only make the announcement if the washer has been off for some safe period of time (I.e. longer than ghe delay between wash cycles).

There is also a Smarthome kit to watch a lamp/LED and signal its state. You could use that to monitor a panel lamp.

Hope this helps

Posted on
Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I also found that the SynchroLinc couldn't really distinguish between the various cycles. So what I did was create a trigger on the SynchroLinc OFF device state change that executes an action delayed by 10 minutes. 9 minutes is the longest time between machine cycles (when it's refilling for rinse) where my machine isn't drawing power and thus looks to the SynchroLinc to be off. That action also overrides any previous delays. I did also create a trigger on SynchroLinc ON which cancels the OFF delayed actions - just to help ensure I don't get a false positive.

The net effect is that 10 minutes after the washing machine turns off (the final time) I get my notification.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:30 pm
Brandt offline

Hopefully Indigo will soon support programming a SynchroLinc's delay and sensitivity.

Indigo 7 w/ Dual-Band 2413U PLM
macOS High Sierra 10.13.x
2011 iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on
Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

See my comments on this thread.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Brandt wrote:
Hopefully Indigo will soon support programming a SynchroLinc's delay and sensitivity.

There is now an Interfaces->INSTEON->Configure SyncroLinc... menu item for configuring most of the SyncroLinc settings.

Posted on
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:12 pm
Fishysan offline

Just came across this, thanks guys! I wanted to adjust my SynchroLinc but dreaded to do it the "manual" way. Cheers!
matt (support) wrote:
There is now an Interfaces->INSTEON->Configure SyncroLinc... menu item for configuring most of the SyncroLinc settings.

Page 1 of 1