Need Advice-What IR Blaster to use with IRLinc Transmitter?

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 pm
thomasw offline

Need Advice-What IR Blaster to use with IRLinc Transmitter?

I've been reading through the posts, but can't find an answer. I bought the IRLinc Transmitter (2411T). It was tricky to set up with indigo, but I got it working. The problem is I need an IR blaster/emitter that will plug into the IRLinc that will send the signal across the living room to the TV, about 16-1/2 feet. I got the small wired blaster that came with the IRLinc to learn the IR code I want, and got it setup in Indigo. But, I can't run the small wired blaster directly to the TV. I need an IR blaster that I can plug into the IRLinc, that will send the IR code across the room to the TV. The wired blaster that Smarthome used to sell (8174) that plugged into the IRLinc, is no longer being sold. That description said it would send the IR code from the IRLinc, across a room? Just to be clear, my new IRLinc is working fine in Indigo, (all I want it to do is have IRLinc send an ON/OFF IR code to the TV) but I can't use the standard small wire stick on (the TV) emitter, I need an emitter that will send the IRLinc's output signal across the room.
I hope someone has found an IR blaster that will plug into the IRLinc that will send a signal across a room?
Thanks for the help

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Re: Need Advice-What IR Blaster to use with IRLinc Transmitt

Maybe something like a Powermid IR extender would work better? Wouldn't have to be concerned about people/things getting in the way.

Carl

Posted on
Wed May 04, 2011 4:14 pm
thomasw offline

The problem with a powermid type of device is that it can't receive commands from Indigo? I have the IRLinc setup in Indigo, and can send the ON/OFF command from within Indigo and from Indigo Touch on my iPhone. I just need a way to get the IRLinc to send the IR signal across the living room to the TV. I can't use the small stick on emitters that come with the IRLinc, because the IRLinc is not near the TV, it's 16 feet across the room. From what I see, the powermid device would work "IF" I could have Indigo send the command to it, to send the IR signal.
The IRLinc is now setup in Indigo, and does receive commands from Indigo fine. The only remaining problem, is finding an IR Blaster/Emitter that will connect to the IRLinc's port, that can send an IR signal across 16 feet.
I'm hoping that someone using Indigo has figured out a way to do this? I'm stuck.
Thanks

Posted on
Wed May 04, 2011 11:52 pm
ckeyes888 offline

If your IRLinc is sending the signal just have it directed at the receiving Powermid and plug
an emitter(s) into the Powermid located by the equipment to be controlled. Maybe if the IRLinc has an output for an emitter just plug one in and stick in on the Powermid.
I've used them and for short throws they work remarkably well.

Carl

Posted on
Thu May 05, 2011 1:36 am
thomasw offline

Hi, can't use stick on emitters on tv to be controlled. And, I can't place a receiving powermid near the tv either.
I need to find an emitter that will send the IR signal across the room to the tv. It's about 16 to 17 feet in distance.
The tv is on a flat wall, with no way to place anything near it. I need an emitter/blaster that I can plug into the IRLinc that
will send the IR signal across the room to the tv.
Thanks

Posted on
Thu May 05, 2011 1:17 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Gotcha. Well I'd just contact emitter companies and see what they would suggest.
Just for fun I tested the throw on my IRTrans and found it went well over 20' very accurately.

Carl

Posted on
Thu May 05, 2011 2:51 pm
thomasw offline

Carl,
How does that IRTrans thing work? Is there a way to hook it up to Indigo? You know, have Indigo tell it when to send the IR signal?
You said it works at 20 feet, that's great.
If there's a way to use IRTrans with Indigo, that would be perfect for my situation.
Thanks
-Tom

Posted on
Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Absolutely it works with Indigo. I've been using it for about 6 mo now and love it.
I have the USB version but it can also be purchased to use Ethernet as well.
It comes with iRed2, that is used to setup IR commands etc. Also the support for it
has been excellent as well. There are a number of threads here to help you get it setup.
Indigo communicates with IRed2/IRTrans using very simple AppleScript, also available
here on the forum.

The huge advantage, IMHO, is that the codes are stored in a file that can be backed up,
as opposed to the IRLinc that stores them internally.

Check it out, I think you'll find it a much better solution. The manufacturer claims the
blaster range to be 20-30m which should easily make it to your gear.

Carl

Posted on
Sat May 07, 2011 9:29 pm
thomasw offline

Thank you ckeyes888,
I will get one and give it a try.

Posted on
Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 pm
norm offline

Tom,
We have several of the IR Blaster 8174 that Smarthome discontinued. Just email me your address and I'll mail you one if you're interested in trying it - - - norm=at=machomestore.

— Norm
Indigo Store
10 Years Serving the Indigo Community

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:28 pm
thomasw offline

Well, I finally got a solution working.
I bought the Xantech 390-20 Shelf-Top Blast-IR Emitter and hooked it up to the IRLinc Transmitter.
Now, I can go in Indigo and send a signal to shut off the Living Room TV, and the IRLinc Transmitter sends the IR signal out from the Xantech unit across the 16 and 1/2 feet room. It works well.
I also programmed the volume up and volume mute IR signals as well. If anyone is looking at the Xantech Shelf top Blaster, it is MUCH smaller than the picture indicates. It is only about 3" big, which I'm glad about.
I had also bought the Xantech J-Box Blast IR (it fits inside of a standard light switch box in-wall), but it was defective.
The reason I wanted to stick with the IRLinc Transmitter is because it gets it's commands directly from Indigo.
Oh, I just hooked up the included 1/8th plug wire to the bottom of the IRLInc Transmitter, and the other end's two wires to the Shelf-Top Blaster. The Shelf-Top Blaster also has it's own power plug for the wall.
So, if anyone has the same desire to have Indigo send an IR signal across a big room to a TV, stereo, cable box, etc., the IRLinc Transmitter + Xantech 390-20 Shelf-Top IR Blaster will definitely work. And yes, I also set up the commands in Indigo Touch on my iPhone, and it works GREAT!

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:29 pm
bsp9493 offline

Hi...

I realize this thread is really old, but...

Does anyone still have any IR Blaster 8174 kicking around? I have a few IR2411T which seem to work ok (only issue I had was figuring out some delay times for sequential button presses)

But, I would really like to find an IR Blaster that works with these devices (I know there are other options, but I currently have 5 of these that I would love to use)

I see someone previously mentioned the discontinued insteon IR Blaster 8174, which as expected I can't find online, is there anything else, The dual stick on's that come with the IR2411T do not work for my application - I need a blaster of some type.

Thanx in advance.

Dave

Page 1 of 1