PowerLinc 2414U & 64 bit

Posted on
Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:29 pm
cjvilches@mac.com offline

Re: PowerLinc 2414U & 64 bit

Guys, I didnt see a final solution to this problem. I'm running 10.6.4 in client and Server versions and have not had any issues with my 2414U, not sure if I'm running in 64bit though, not at home at the moment and my vpn server is down :( . Anyway, I offer my setup for testing if it helps.

Posted on
Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are actually multiple issues on this thread, so let me summarize where we are on each:

1. Snow Leopard's USB subsystem is less tolerant of USB errors - and some apparently marginal 2414Us will not connect or work reliably. Replacing them has worked in 100% of the reported cases.
  2. Snow Leopard Client booted into 64-bit mode works fine.
  3. Snow Leopard Server (which runs in 64-bit mode only) didn't at last check load the kernel extension properly. If you manually load it (from the command line) then it works. We haven't tested any of the Snow Leopard Server updates recently (hopefully it's been fixed) but are not actively looking into the problem at the moment. Below is the command to manually load the kernel extension (note: only needed if you're using a PowerLinc 2414U, PowerLinc 1132CU, or a CM15).
    Code: Select all
    sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IndigoOverrides.kext

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 am
zebu offline

Are there issues with 64bit and Lion? I'm running 10.7.2 and it's unable to connect.

Connected to SmartHome PowerLinc USB E
PowerLinc address 00.D3.8D, firmware version 2.12
Error resending previous command (timeout)
Error resending previous command (timeout)

SmartHome PowerLinc USB E:

Product ID: 0x0004
Vendor ID: 0x10bf
Version: 4.00
Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: SmartHome
Location ID: 0x1a200000 / 3
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It should work, and given that Indigo establishes an initial connection with the PowerLinc means that the driver is indeed loading correctly.

The error you are seeing can be caused by:

1) Excessive power line noise. Try plugging the PowerLinc into different outlets on different circuits. Use an extension cord if needed.

2) A locked up INSTEON module sending continuous commands on the power line. There are reports from a few folks that have seen this happen with the INSTEON thermostat adapter. If you have one of those, unplug the adapter from the Venstar to reset it.

3) Bad USB cable, or a conflict with another USB device. Swap cables, try different USB ports, etc.

4) A malfunctioning PowerLinc. If all else fails, then the PowerLinc is malfunctioning and you should get a replacement. They have a 2 year warranty.