INSTEON Venstar Thermostat Adapter Features?

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:21 pm
foup offline

INSTEON Venstar Thermostat Adapter Features?

The T1800 provides humidity control (and reports) as well as outside temperature, when the appropriate modules are installed.

Does the Insteon adapter provide access to this data? If so, how can it be accessed from Indigo?

Thanks to clarify.

Jeff

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:30 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

Humidity shows up in the UI just fine.

I don't have an external temp sensor so I don't know if that works. I have remote sensors (in-house) that get averaged together and displayed just as the single number.

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Venstar Thermostat Adapter Features?

foup wrote:
Does the Insteon adapter provide access to this data? If so, how can it be accessed from Indigo?

You can access the main temperature and the humidity (presuming humidity module is installed). However, the adapter does not provide access to the external temperature sensor.

There are different ways to access the temp and humidity depending on what you are trying to do. Here is an example of accessing the temperature from AppleScript.

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:54 am
foup offline

(No subject)

Indeed. It's regrettable that the Venstar Insteon adapter provides so little functionality. The thermostat itself (T1800) can do a lot of things but the adapter merely interfaces 20% of the features. There is some misleading advertisement from Venstar/Insteon here.

I suppose I can wait for a better or upgraded version to appear at some point. Thanks for your feedback Matt.

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 pm
jamus offline

(No subject)

foup wrote:
Indeed. It's regrettable that the Venstar Insteon adapter provides so little functionality. The thermostat itself (T1800) can do a lot of things but the adapter merely interfaces 20% of the features. There is some misleading advertisement from Venstar/Insteon here.

I suppose I can wait for a better or upgraded version to appear at some point. Thanks for your feedback Matt.

What features are missing?

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:51 pm
foup offline

(No subject)

The T1800 can do a lot such as reporting outside temperature, setting a humidity set point (under which it can command a humidifier to fire up), reporting how many hours the heat or A/C have been used since last reset, etc, etc.

It appears that, thru Indigo and the Insteon adapter, only a handful of the thermostat features are accessible: setting the mode (but not even "programming" the program mode of the T1800), setting a heat or cool set point and reporting inside temperature and humidity. It seems that's it. Really too bad...

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

The INSTEON Thermostat Adapter (and thus Indigo) supports reading and setting:
  • heat setpoint
  • cool setpoint
  • main mode (off/cool/heat/auto/run program heat/run program cool/run program auto)
  • fan mode (always on/auto on)
And supports fetching/polling:
  • main temperature
  • humidity (if humidity sensor exists)

Although it doesn't support everything the thermostat itself does, IMHO it does at least support the basics. Thus far I've been happy with it.

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:26 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

But its inability to provide, what I consider the extremely basic functionality, of telling you if the AC, heater, or fan is actually 'on' is ridiculous.

Accessing the other temperatures (outside, and the averaged remote) also seems pretty obvious as that data would allow decisions on damper control, for example.

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:58 pm
rafski offline

(No subject)

I recently purchased additional INSTEON Thermostat Adapters and notice the firmware is now at version 2.8 the one I originally purchased last spring was at version 2.4.
Does anyone know what was added or corrected with this version change?

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:02 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

I don't, but I will say that I've seen no difference between the original and the 2.8 firmware.

At least I am 95% sure that the higher signal reliability is due to me moving a couple signallincs around, rather than the firmware update.

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

rafski wrote:
Does anyone know what was added or corrected with this version change

I'll ask Smartlabs.

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:51 pm
foup offline

(No subject)

DPattee wrote:
But its inability to provide, what I consider the extremely basic functionality, of telling you if the AC, heater, or fan is actually 'on' is ridiculous.

Accessing the other temperatures (outside, and the averaged remote) also seems pretty obvious as that data would allow decisions on damper control, for example.

Indeed, this is really too bad and borderline unacceptable...

Posted on
Mon May 15, 2023 9:19 am
Martin Joseph offline

It's a lot later now (2023) and I wonder if there is any support for the remote temp sensor?

Or if not, what is another option (replacement?) that allows for remote temp readings?

I do have the wave AerQ temp sensor connected, but it doesn't seem very responsive. I have changed my oil burner to a heat pump and got AC in the deal. My original system has the thermostat in the basement, which works for heating, but for AC, not at all...

Posted on
Mon May 15, 2023 12:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No change on the Insteon front.

I use an Ecobee with remote sensors, each of which is visible as individual Indigo devices (which also go ON when motion is detected).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1