Official IRLinc How To Thread

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 pm
pwfletcher offline

Official IRLinc How To Thread

I just installed my IRLinc and it took me a while to figure how integrate it with Indigo. So, to save everyone time, here are the steps to actually make it work.

This example will let you know how to control an already installed and working Indigo integrated light switch with almost any IR remote via a new IRLinc. This "How To" assumes you have at least some basic knowledge of Insteon and Indigo:

1. Plug IRLinc in to wall and plug the IR receiver (cable with small receiver on end) in to the IRLinc.

2. Create a new device in Indigo using the Insteon address of your new IRLinc.

3. In "Devices" double click the new IRLinc device so that the "Edit Device IRLinc" window opens up. Note the button "Send PowerLinc Set Button Pressed" but do not press it yet.

4. On the Physical IRLinc, hold the set button for 5 seconds and release.

5. Point your IR remote at the IRLinc's connected IR receiver and push the button on your remote that you want to control a particular Indigo controlled light (or any Insteon product, execute an applescript, etc). I used a basic Sony remote that came with my TV and it worked fine.

6. Now go back to your computer and press the "Send PowerLinc Set Button Pressed" button. You have now created "Button 1" on your IRLinc and have associated it with that particular button that you pressed on your IR remote. To test it, open your "Event Log window and every time you press that button on your IR remote the Indigo event log should read something like ""IRLinc" start dim (button 1)".

***** The IRLinc has now been successfully installed and associated with an IR remote button *****

7. Create a new "Trigger Action" with the following information:

Trigger:
Type - Insteon Command Received
Received - On, Button/Group 1
From - Device, IRLinc

Condition:
Always

Actions:
Type - Control Light / Appliance
Action - Turn On
Device - Family Room Light

8. NOTE I was finding that doing the above controlled the light every other time that I pushed the IR remote button. That is because the IRLinc seems to operate in Toggle mode ... ie, press the remote button once and it sends Button 1 ON command, press the same remote button again and it sends Button 1 OFF command. Accordingly, you need to duplicate the "Trigger Action" in #7 above and and substitute Received - On, Button/Group 1 for Received - Off, Button/Group 1. That way, whether Indigo receives the On or Off command from the IRLinc, your button works ...

(You can substitute any action such as "Execute AppleScript")

***** You are done and should be able to control the example Light with your IR remote now. *****

:)

http://www.humanovation.com
Last edited by pwfletcher on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:07 pm
dacostad offline

(No subject)

Actually you can tell the IRLinc to send either a on or off rather than toggle by pressing the button on the irlinc once for on and twice for off as per the instructions.

David

Posted on
Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 am
pwfletcher offline

(No subject)

Thanks ... that would be more efficient. I'll try that today :)

Posted on
Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:06 am
MOD3RN offline

Works, but button numbering starts at 129

So close, the buttons are recognized and I can see them in the Event Logs, but the first button came up as 129 and subsequent links are incremented by one (despite changing universal remote code to a different model)

Since the Indigo (2.5 build 18) only supports 32 buttons, I'm a little stuck.

Thoughts?

Posted on
Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Works, but button numbering starts at 129

I'm going to look into adding all 256 possible values to the Trigger Action UI in a future beta build of 2.5.. In the mean time, I wonder if a factory reset of the IRLinc will get the group number back down to 1.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:56 am
MOD3RN offline

(No subject)

I will try it. Keep you posted.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted on
Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:57 am
dacostad offline

(No subject)

I have my second IRLinc now and no problems encountered.

David

Posted on
Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:33 pm
MOD3RN offline

Factory reset put counter back to 2

Which is great. When I try to assign a group scene or even a lamp to it, the system receives the signal but doesn't execute the command.

Here's the log, not sure if it helps.
Mar 8, 2008 6:25:14 PM
Sent INSTEON "PowerLinc Interface" on (group/scene 2)

Mar 8, 2008 6:26:03 PM
Received INSTEON "RemoteLinc" on (button 1)

Mar 8, 2008 6:26:30 PM
Received INSTEON "IRLinc" off (button 2)
Received INSTEON "IRLinc" on (button 2)
Received INSTEON "IRLinc" start dim (button 2)
Received INSTEON "IRLinc" stop dim (button 2)

Mar 8, 2008 6:26:54 PM
Trigger Action IR Remote Button 2
Sent INSTEON "PowerLinc Interface" on (group/scene 2)
Action Group Theater Clean
Sent INSTEON "Theater Sconce 1" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Theater Sconce 2 & 3" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Theater Sconce 4" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Theater Lamps" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Keypad Link Theater Pendant" on to 80
Sent INSTEON "Theater Sconce 1" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Theater Sconce 2 & 3" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Theater Lamps" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Keypad Link Theater Pendant" on to 100

Mar 8, 2008 6:28:03 PM
Trigger Action IR Remote Button 2
Received INSTEON "RemoteLinc" on (button 3)
Received INSTEON "IRLin[/color]c" on (button 2)[/color]

Posted on
Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:40 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Factory reset put counter back to 2

MOD3RN wrote:
Which is great. When I try to assign a group scene or even a lamp to it, the system receives the signal but doesn't execute the command.

I don't know what command you are trying to execute in the Trigger Action. Are you seeing in the Event Log above that Indigo is saying that it sent out the correct command? If so, does that command work if you manually execute the Trigger Action from within the Main Window? As a general rule (99.99% of the time), if Indigo reports that it sent a command on the power line in the Event Log then the PowerLinc has reported to Indigo that the command was sent.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:36 am
MOD3RN offline

(No subject)

The event log is recognizing the command and executing it, but it isn't actually performed. I changed the IR button configuration from a scene to a single light/appliance and that doesn't work either, although it looks like it was from the logs.

The same scene is executed perfectly from the remotelinc and from the indigio user interface.

Posted on
Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

MOD3RN wrote:
The same scene is executed perfectly from the remotelinc and from the indigio user interface.

That is interesting (and odd). So it works if you manually execute it from within Indigo, but does not work if it is being executed as the result of a Trigger Action from the IRLinc, and the Event Logs for both the working case and not working case look the same except for the additional incoming IRLinc command and Trigger Action execution note?

Try adding a very small delay onto the Action panel of the Trigger Action using the Delay by N minutes checkbox. Try using a delay of 0.05 minutes. This obviously isn't a good long term solution, but I'm curious if it helps.

Lastly, are the individual actions inside your Theater Clean Action Group working?

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:20 pm
MOD3RN offline

DUH!

Ok, so I triple checked the configuration and figured out the problem. You (I) need to assign the correct remote device to get the result.

It works!

Thanks,
Joe

Posted on
Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:33 pm
dduff617 offline

irlinc experience

i'm setting up IRLinc.

i'm configuring an old phillips pronto universal remote. it doesn't have any pre-defined devices. so my first step is to identify some device that seems to work with the remote.

tip #1: you can tell if a given remote command will work with the irlinc because it will flash the green light on the bottom of the remote.

tip #2: green LED is inconveniently located (on bottom of remote and pointing down). it is also slightly recessed in the case. as a result, it is hard to see unless you are up close and pretty much looking at it straight-on. therefore, it is suggested that you hook the irlinc module to an extension cord so you can position it where you can see it.

i had a directv hd dvr (hr21) remote that has a bunch of pre-programmed codes for other devices. i selected nec brand TV and used the first code. this seemed to work in that all the buttons were recognized by the irlinc.

warning: for reasons i still don't understand, the irlinc sees two different buttons (the right-arrow button and the down-arrow button) on the remote as being the same. that is, they are both recognized, but they both cause it to send the same insteon signal. this seems like an odd glitch. so i recommend that you test after setup.

linking went smoothly, though was a bit tedious. in my initial setup i was linking ONLY to indigo (not to actual devices). i initially setup 20 links only to indigo, initially with no behaviors (trigger actions) attached to them. i ended up with only 19 working different recognizable irlinc "buttons" due to the problem with two IR commands being apparently indistinguishable.

note: the irlinc assigns IR signals to insteon "buttons" in sequential order as you set up links - so there is no way to control which buttons are assigned to which IR signals other than by starting from scratch (resetting the device, if necessary) and then going through all of the IR commands you want it to recognize IN ORDER. you can't go back and "re-learn" one command. at least not as far as i can tell, anyway. plan accordingly to avoid confusing situations like having the button physically labeled "5" on your remote sending insteon button 4 - if this matters to you.

questions:

most insteon devices don't require you to manually enter their insteon addresses - instead you can enter the setup window from within indigo, then push the button on the device. this seemed to sort-of work for the irlinc - that is, i got it to work after a couple of false starts and i'm not completely sure what the final correct sequence is. anyone else know?

will there ever be support for bright/dim commands?

what's the limit for the number of IR commands for which the device can send discrete insteon commands?

will it ever be possible to view/edit irlinc links via indigo? i can see that this would be more complicated than a normal insteon device, since irlinc "buttons" have to be associated with IR codes. ideally, you would be able to add/delete links and control whether a given irlinc button toggles or always sends on or off. it would still be useful even if it were only able to edit existing "buttons" (vs. creating new ones), since this would at least make setting up "scenes" with different on-levels and ramp-rates a lot less tedious.

feedback i will provide to smarthome:

1. the relative placement of the set button and the blue LED makes it so you mostly have to work without getting useful feedback from the LED. pushing the button covers up the LED, so you generally can't see the LED turn on or off. (same is true with other insteon plug-in modules).

2. the placement of the green LED on the bottom of the device AND making it so hard to see is a terrible design flaw. the LED should have been integrated into the IR sensor (at the end of the ~6' cord) so you could see it from the position where you use your remote. the LED should be active by default, but there should be an option to turn it off if you don't want to see it.

3. the device should be pre-set by default (after factory-reset) to work with SOME set of ir codes. smarthome should publish the files or other configuration files for various programmable remotes for this default set. this would obviate an annoying and error-prone step in the setup. not having it means essentially everyone is using different sets of codes for their irlincs, which means that it is not possible to easily download CCF files or to configure a harmony remote via the web or whatever.

4. on second thought (re: item #3 above) for the $99 price, the device should come with it's own remote, even if it is basic.

5. it should be possible to link devices using only an IR remote - i.e., there should be a one or more special IR signals that perform functions that currently require one to push the set button on the side of the unit. this would greatly simplify setup.

6. it should be possible to send bright/dim commands, either by separate ir commands (analagous to the controlinc) or by push-hold type behavior (like the keypadlinc) or both. [correction: this is apparently already possible with proper IR configuration]

overall conclusion:

this device works as advertised, but it is harder to setup and less powerful, less intuitive, and less user-friendly than it should have been.
Last edited by dduff617 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: irlinc experience

dduff617 wrote:
most insteon devices don't require you to manually enter their insteon addresses - instead you can enter the setup window from within indigo, then push the button on the device. this seemed to sort-of work for the irlinc - that is, i got it to work after a couple of false starts and i'm not completely sure what the final correct sequence is. anyone else know?

Either technique should work. Let me know if anyone sees the problem as well, or has steps to reproduce it.
dduff617 wrote:
will there ever be support for bright/dim commands?

The IRLinc does send dim/brighten commands if you hold down the button on the remote. If it doesn't work, then I would try a different device type on your universal remote. Or maybe your universal remote only can send the continuous IR commands needed on some buttons (like Vol+ and Vol-). You should be able to patch into if a dim or brighten occurred via a Trigger Action, but it isn't possible currently to know the exact dim/brighten amount because INSTEON does not broadcast that information. Instead, there is a Start Dim (or brighten) command, followed eventually by a Stop Dim command. The amount of dim is then based on how long of a time there was between those commands. Indigo doesn't currently try to calculate this time delta and I'm not sure how accurate it would be if it did.
dduff617 wrote:
what's the limit for the number of IR commands for which the device can send discrete insteon commands?

I'm not sure the exact number. Indigo currently has a limitation in the Trigger Action UI, but I'm going to change that before 2.5 is released.
dduff617 wrote:
will it ever be possible to view/edit irlinc links via indigo? i can see that this would be more complicated than a normal insteon device, since irlinc "buttons" have to be associated with IR codes.

Perhaps eventually, but there are higher priority features currently. I agree it can be quite painful to do it manually.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Works, but button numbering starts at 129

MOD3RN wrote:
So close, the buttons are recognized and I can see them in the Event Logs, but the first button came up as 129 and subsequent links are incremented by one (despite changing universal remote code to a different model)

The next build of Indigo (not yet ready for downloading) will allow you to create IRLinc Trigger Actions for any group number (1 through 255). You will need to open the Device dialog for your IRLinc and press the Define and Sync... button, then the Start button so that Indigo reloads the device profile. After that, the Trigger Action dialog will show an edit field (instead of a popup menu control) anytime the IRLinc is chosen.

Regards,
Matt