Official Insteon/Venstar Thermostat How To Thread

Posted on
Thu May 15, 2008 8:36 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

madscientist wrote:
As a follow-up to my post, here is a wiring diagram for connecting a Venstar thermostat to a dual transformer system

Have you gotten the relay and tried it out yet? Let us know if it works for you -- I don't see why it wouldn't.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Thu May 15, 2008 8:47 am
madscientist offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
Have you gotten the relay and tried it out yet? Let us know if it works for you

Yes. I bought a $9 relay at a local HVAC supply shop and it works great.

Posted on
Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:39 pm
thepainter offline

(No subject)

Just recently received my Venstar 1700 and am eager to install it I currently have a Honeyell programmable Thermo which uses 4 wires (see pic) and there is a spare (Blue). My Air handler has connections for R,O,B,W3,W2,W1,G,T,Y2,Y1 - I know I'm missing a Common but am not sure where that goes. Fortunately the air handler is 1ft away from the Thermo so running extra wire if I need it is not a problem. I also have a 'Float' shut-off valve wired in hence the extra wire "Tie-in". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Paul

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11781506@N07/sets/72157606150645168/[/url]

Posted on
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:52 pm
thepainter offline

(No subject)

PROBLEM solved - used the B-Blue on my Air Handler for the Common. So far so good.

Posted on
Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:07 am
gg2 offline

Venstar Outside Temperature ACC- Can this be ready by Indigo

Attaching the optional Venstar ACC0400 Outside Thermometer (wired) allows the thermostat to also display the outside temperature.

Is this additional outside temperature data from the Venstar thermostat display also available to INDIGO via the wireless INSTEON adaptor - this is not made clear in any of their literature?

(I realize that an NOAA internet data source could be substituted, as an approximation to the local outside temperature.)

Yours, Rick

Posted on
Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:46 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Venstar Outside Temperature ACC- Can this be ready by In

Hi Rick,

The INSTEON Thermostat Adapter does not support sending that temperature sensor value. It sends just the main temperature and humidity readings.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:04 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

What was the way to reset the Venstar insteon dongle? I tried unplugging it from the thermostat, and I tried holding the button down but neither seemed to accomplish anything.

I think my adaptor may have died... It has worked for a long time (would throw a nak every now and then but not a big deal) then all of a sudden it went from like a 1-5% signal failure rate to about a 99% failure rate on Saturday. It is now virtually impossible to change the temperature via Indigo, and I have to 'refresh all' a dozen times in a row before Indigo will get all the updates.

(I've already rebooted the server, power cycled the insteon/usb adaptor, and even reloaded the IndigoApp in to the adaptor but nothing. It is acting like there is some kind of massive interference, but nothing has changed, the insteon/rf bridges are still everywhere they used to be, no new Insteon devices have been added, the insteon/usb adaptor is still plugged in where it used to be... so I'm leaning towards calling SmartHome and asking for a replacement)

Posted on
Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:39 am
norm offline

(No subject)

Don,
The reset procedure is on the Quick-Start Guide that should have been in the box with the Adapter. Here they are. Are these the steps you followed?

1. Unplug the Adapter from the thermostat
2. Press & hold the button that's on the side of the Adapter
3. While continuing to hold the button, plug the Adapter back into your thermostat.
4. Continue to hold the button for about 5 seconds and then release

All user settings should then be erased and the Adapter should be restored to factory settings.

Maybe, you didn't hold the button down while plugging it back in?

— Norm
Indigo Store
10 Years Serving the Indigo Community

Posted on
Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am
DPattee offline

(No subject)

Yea, that's what I had done, and I redid it after getting your post just to make sure.
I ended up just calling and getting a warranty replacement shipped out, so we should be back up and running by Monday.

Posted on
Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:53 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

DPattee wrote:
Yea, that's what I had done, and I redid it after getting your post just to make sure.
I ended up just calling and getting a warranty replacement shipped out, so we should be back up and running by Monday.

And it works. Less than 2 minutes to unbox it and get it hooked back up with Indigo. (I used the 'open the existing device in Indigo and relink it with the new device ID' feature). It immediately started sending correct information.

One thing I noticed was that the sticker on the back said it was revision 1.2, while my original pre-order was version 1.0.

Posted on
Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:10 pm
hamw offline

Is 7-day programmable thermo needed or does Indigo do it all

That about says it. Given the level of automation in Indigo, should one even worry about the 7-day thermo? And, if one does the programming in Indigo, would you have to leave Indigo always on, or can the PowerLinc handle the timers?

Posted on
Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:03 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Is 7-day programmable thermo needed or does Indigo do it

hamw wrote:
That about says it. Given the level of automation in Indigo, should one even worry about the 7-day thermo? And, if one does the programming in Indigo, would you have to leave Indigo always on, or can the PowerLinc handle the timers?

The main advantage the T1900 has for Indigo users is the built-in humidity sensor (which Indigo can read). I never use the 7-day capability personally. Actually, I haven't used the humidity value for anything either yet but maybe someday. :-)

Officially Indigo cannot upload any sprinkler or thermostat actions to the PowerLinc, so your Mac will need to remain on. Unofficially you can create PowerLinc Group/Scenes that control the Venstar and PowerLinc Group/Scenes can be sent by the PowerLinc when it is in standalone mode. So technically you do still have some control over the thermostat when Indigo isn't running, but you have to use PowerLinc Group/Scenes and it isn't as flexible.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:34 am
dduff617 offline

(No subject)

i bought the 1900 mainly for built-in humidity module. my scripts modify their behavior slightly in a few cases based on humidity, either by making slight modifications to setpoints or by keeping fans running longer under high-humidity conditions, so for me it was worth it.

one other minor consideration is that the 1900 can control up to 3-stage heat, 2-stage cooling systems. my current system is single stage, but i'm hoping to upgrade to a better system within a year or two.

Posted on
Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:30 pm
hamw offline

(No subject)

How do I know if I have stages? And anyone else find the humidity sensor to be worth the extra bux?

Posted on
Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

hamw wrote:
How do I know if I have stages?

Just depends on the furnace and a/c unit installed. My Trane unit has 2 cooling stages. The compressor and blower motor can operate at a lower power rating when the temperature to setpoint delta isn't very large. If the temp gets too far away from the setpoint, then it cranks it up to stage 2, which is full blower motor speed and full compressor power. I believe most of the higher SEER systems are multistage, as that is the primary way in which they conserve electricity (and gas).

Regards,
Matt