INSTEON Link Managment

Posted on
Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:04 pm
gg2 offline

(No subject)

Is there any word on when this link feature (changing toggle mode of button on KPLs) will be added? Thx, R

Posted on
Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

We're still evaluating the feature list for the next release, and this request is on the list.

Thanks,
jay

Posted on
Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:08 pm
gabbas offline

(No subject)

FWIW I second the motion for keypadlinc button editing support... that would be very cool. (Not that this is a democracy I guess. :) )

Also, yeah I like the idea of being able to associate several KPL buttons (or switchlincs) together so that they get added to groups together and stay in sync. I suppose sometimes you'd want more flexibility than that, but I've got a setup with two KPLs and two remotelincs all controlling the same set of lights, and although Indigo makes it hella easier than doing it manually, it's still hard to know whether I succeeded in adding all of the necessary links or not.

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm
wikner offline

About to replace 24 devices

All of the Icon dimmers and switches in my house are starting to get the paddle failure that has been described (you can operate them via Insteon signals but the local switch doesn't work). I am about to replace 24 of them. They should arrive from Smarthome tomorrow.

These switches participate in multiple links with each other, with Indigo, and with other controllers.
1) What steps should I take prior to replacing them? Should I go through every link in Indigo and make sure that all of the links are persistent? Is there a way to do that in AppleScript?
2) I can think of 3 ways to do this
a) replace each device and re-sync after each one (very tedious)
b) replace all the devices; tell Indigo about the first replacement, then re-sync; tell Indigo about the second and re-sync, etc. (almost as tedious)
c) replace all the devices; tell Indigo about each replacement, but don't re-sync until telling Indigo about all of them.
The last option seems easiest, but will it work?

Norman

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
ricks offline

Re: About to replace 24 devices

wikner wrote:
... I am about to replace 24 of them. They should arrive from Smarthome tomorrow.
Not to hijack the thread, but Norman, is Smarthome replacing them for you? I've had them refuse to replace mine, although they are beyond the 1 year warranty.

Rick

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm
wikner offline

Re: About to replace 24 devices

ricks wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but Norman, is Smarthome replacing them for you? I've had them refuse to replace mine, although they are beyond the 1 year warranty.

They have extended the warranty to 5 years for the ones they have identified as affected (I believe its v1.5 or earlier, but it might be v1.7 or earlier). Mine were all of this vintage, so they are replacing them.

Posted on
Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:11 am
frankiben123 offline

thanks

wow....nice post.....
-- admin: link with same background color as forum deleted --

Posted on
Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: thanks

frankiben123 wrote:
wow....nice post.....

And nice attempt to spam the forum. User account deleted and IP banned (not that it will slow these folks down...).

Posted on
Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 pm
majortom offline

Re:

bcmayes wrote:
One feature I'd like to see with Link Management is the ability to see more than one Link Management window at a time.

I would like to go a step further. I would love to see a visual state and link editor (basically like InterfaceBuilder).

Every device would appear and one could drag and drop links between them. Ideally it would even have a test interface mode so that I could click on a button and see what changes happened.

/carmi

Posted on
Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Link Managment

Lots of ideas for how link management should/could work. Unfortunately, many are just not practical because of the complexity of how INSTEON links work. Thanks for the input.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:41 am
majortom offline

jay wrote:
Lots of ideas for how link management should/could work. Unfortunately, many are just not practical because of the complexity of how INSTEON links work. Thanks for the input.

How about at least making KeypadLinc links symmetric by default or a verifier that catches non-symmetric links (that is links that go from a button to a switch but not from the switch to the button for status update)? It is still the biggest issue I have, buttons that do not get state updates correctly.

A simulator for the system would be quite great. Even if I cannot just drag and drop connections InterfaceBuilder-style, a way to visually verify the system would be fantastic.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:44 am
majortom offline

My biggest problem with Indigo's Insteon link management is dealing with KeypadLincs.

My first suggestion:

Links between KeypadLincs should be symmetric by default. That is, if I connect KeypadLinc A button 5 to KeypadLinc D Main load control, Indigo ought to (at a minimum) suggest the link between KeypadLinc D button 1 and KeypadLinc A button 5.

My second suggestion:

When an additional KeypadLinc is set to control something, every other KeypadLinc currently controlling that same item should, by default, be linked as appropriate. Extending my example above: if I latter add a link between KeypadLinc C button 4 and KeypadLinc D Main load control, Indigo ought to (at a minimum) suggest the symmetric link between KeypadLinc C button 4 and KeypadLinc A button 5.

My third suggestion:

Indigo should offer the option to check for asymmetric links.

My forth suggestion:

Indigo out to offer a visual simulator for link behavior. I should be able to get a view that shows all Switches, KeypadLincs, LampLincs, ApplianceLincs, etc. and what happens when I press a button (i.e. which modules and button change state).

Those 4 items, in order of importance would greatly simplify installing Insteon and KeypadLincs.

/carmi

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the input.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 pm
dclonts offline

So any news on this. My real issue is don't seem to be able to set the on or off state of a KPL button.

I control my fire pit based on a KPL button trigger. But I can ALSO control fire pit elsewhere. At which point KPL button is on, but fire pit is off.

Its a real old KPL, so two questions. Are the new ones controllable w/insteon command and 2 can indigo control this?

David Clonts

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:45 pm
dclonts offline

never mind. i'm an idiot. just found the comment to control the buttons. all's well.

David Clonts

Page 7 of 9 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9