INSTEON Link Managment

Posted on
Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 pm
jltnol offline

Re: INSTEON Link Managment

Hey guys

Just trying to catch up here....

So I'm trying to associate a micro on/off switch with a particular button on a KPL. I can make this work with triggers, but obviously need 4 triggers to set up both power on/off, and LED update.

After reading this thread, I'm working under the assumption that it's not possible to do this thru the Insteon Device link protocol. I can add the "ON" or "Off" association in Indigo, but not both.... is that correct.. or am I missing something ?

Posted on
Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:29 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

A single link handles both ON and OFF. So if you link button #4 on a KPL to a micro on/off module, and if that KPL button is in toggle mode, then it will alternate sending the ON and OFF commands to the module (with a single link).

Posted on
Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 am
jltnol offline

Ahhhh the dreaded "toggle" mode..

That's where I've gone wrong.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:39 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I would appreciate some help with links. I have a large room with four keypads in it. I set up the links with one of them being controller and the other three being responders. The links were synchronized. When I push the On button on the first KPL, two of the three others go on. One of them does not. The KPL that does not go on and off with the controller does work by itself. I cannot figure out why it doesn't with with the others.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

When you tap the linked button on the Controller (not the responder that's not working), does the LED flash?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am
rbdubz3 offline

Re: INSTEON Link Management

So I've been slowly purging all link references to an Insteon Hub that I used a while back. Is there any 'easy' way to see if any of my Insteon devices are still referencing this old Hub? I'd like to decommission it but I believe if any devices 'still' reference the old hub they'll continue to send messages/etc (use up battery)

Any way to do this easily? Or do I need the brute force approach of going thru every Insteon device and checking the 'Manage Links' screen?

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There isn't an official python API yet to get the links, but you can do it via a raw command to the server. Try the following python script (copy/paste into scripting shell, or create an Action Group that executes it):

Code: Select all
for dev in indigo.devices:
   links = indigo.rawServerRequest("GetLinksForDevice", {"Name":dev.name})
   indigo.server.log("responder links in \"%s\":" % (dev.name))
   for link in links.get("ResponderList", []):
      indigo.server.log("%s" % (link["AddressStrUI"]))
   indigo.server.log("")
   indigo.server.log("controller links in \"%s\":" % (dev.name))
   for link in links.get("ControllerList", []):
   indigo.server.log("")

It will write to the Event Log window all the responder and controller links in every device. Note this only represents what Indigo thinks the links are – you might need to do a full resync first for Indigo to read out all of the link information.

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:10 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Might want this modification if you only want INSTEON Devices:

for dev in indigo.devices:
   if dev.protocol != indigo.kProtocol.Insteon:
      continue
   indigo.server.log("responder links in \"{}\" ({}):".format(dev.name, dev.address))
   indigo.server.log("")
   indigo.server.log("controller links in \"{}\" ({}):".format(dev.name, dev.address))
   indigo.server.log("")

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Great point. Slightly more efficient technique to have the Indigo Server do the filtering (so the complete non-insteon device instances are not sent to the script):

for dev in indigo.devices.iter("indigo.insteon"):
   indigo.server.log("responder links in \"%s\":" % (dev.name))
   indigo.server.log("")
   indigo.server.log("controller links in \"%s\":" % (dev.name))
   indigo.server.log("")

Not that in a single use case like this it needs to be efficient of course...

Posted on
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 am
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks! that was very useful - looks like I didn't have any more references so I can power down the old hub - good think cuz that hub was a power sucker - runs hot

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 am
jalves offline

I've got a few RemoteLinc devices with links that I've apparently set up to be permanent in the PLC. Can't figure out how to edit/delete these links from the PLC though. I've tried to delete the devices and re-add them so I can set them up anew but when they sync, they get the links from the PLC put back. Here's the result of one such attempt:

PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received module button pressed from 1C.4C.BC
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 3D.97.1D)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 1C.4C.BC, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 1C.4C.BC
   PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - no response from device
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 1C.4C.BC
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received engine version 02 from 1C.4C.BC
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending id request for device information to 1C.4C.BC
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received id request response from 1C.4C.BC
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initializing remote device "new device" (address 1C.4C.BC, firmware version 37)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - .  reading: configuration settings
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: configuration settings B2, keypad in 8 scene mode
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initialize complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "new device" (address 1C.4C.BC, firmware version 37)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing all links
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 01, data 03 1F 01
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 02, data 03 1F 02
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 03, data 03 1F 03
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 04, data 03 1F 04
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 05, data 03 1F 05
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 06, data 03 1F 06
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 07, data 03 1F 07
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 09, data 03 1F 09
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 1C.68.7F, flags E2, group 01, data 03 00 00
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 2E.AB.60, flags E2, group 01, data 03 1F 01
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 2B.5B.C8, flags E2, group 05, data 03 1F 05
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 2E.B4.A3, flags E2, group 02, data 03 1F 02
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 26.47.F3, flags E2, group 03, data 03 1F 03
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 23.76.7B, flags E2, group 04, data 03 1F 04
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 26.5B.42, flags E2, group 08, data 03 1F 08
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 2B.3C.F9, flags E2, group 07, data 03 1F 07
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 1C.4F.2F, flags A2, group 01, data 03 00 00
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 2E.B4.AD, flags E2, group 02, data 03 1F 02
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 3D.97.1D, flags A2, group FE, data 03 00 00
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group 08, data 03 1F 08
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3D.97.1D, flags E2, group FE, data 03 00 00
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 1
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 2
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 3
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 4
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 5
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 6
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 7
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 8
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 9
   PowerLinc                       Linking - comparing local and remote links
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 2E.AB.60, flags E2, group 01
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 2B.5B.C8, flags E2, group 05
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 2E.B4.A3, flags E2, group 02
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 26.47.F3, flags E2, group 03
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 23.76.7B, flags E2, group 04
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 26.5B.42, flags E2, group 08
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 2B.3C.F9, flags E2, group 07
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to persistent link 2E.B4.AD, flags E2, group 02
   PowerLinc                       Linking - compare complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - device 1C.4C.BC links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - exited linking mode

I've looked at the "Manage Powerlinc link..." menu item but that doesn't seem to contain any link info. What am I doing wrong???

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

You want the Interfaces->Insteon->Manage Device Links... menu item not the Manage PowerLinc Links... menu, then chose the device you want to edit.

Posted on
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 am
jalves offline

matt (support) wrote:
You want the Interfaces->Insteon->Manage Device Links... menu item not the Manage PowerLinc Links... menu, then chose the device you want to edit.

When I do that I see the links I want, but There are also some links that report "unknown device" and say they are "not editable". Those are the ones I want to delete.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:51 am
peszko offline

What I do to get rid of those is factory reset the device, then re-sync. This gets rid of those for me.

Posted on
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Factory reset and then re-sync in Indigo is the cleanest way to get rid of links to unknown devices, but you can also do it by holding down the OPTION key while choosing the menu to bring up the Manage Links dialogs. The delete button will then be available for those unknown device links.