Emulating native Insteon interactive dimming

Posted on
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:31 pm
nathanw offline

Emulating native Insteon interactive dimming

I have a RemoteLinc that works well for controlling an overhead light, also Insteon - the start/stop dimming up/down is a very smooth part of that ecosystem. I have a floor lamp in the same room with a Hue bulb that I'd like to control separately. What are my best options for replicating the interactive dimming from the RemoteLinc to Hue?

I can catch the start/stop dimming/brightening commands from the remote, but I'm not sure what I could use to emulate a ramp-rate effect. Is there any kind of "virtual Insteon device" I could use, and then trigger Hue changes from changes to that?

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Emulating native Insteon interactive dimming

Unfortunately, the only way is trial and error to get them to match. Technically, you should be able to set the Hue bulb to the same ramp rate as the RemoteLinc and then use the Start/Stop Brightening/Dimming actions in triggers on the RemoteLinc, but in practice (I've tried in the past) it never really works well. I ended up just getting a Hue remote dimmer switch which is basically the same thing as a RemoteLinc but made for Hue devices.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:30 am
nathanw offline

Re: Emulating native Insteon interactive dimming

Ah, that's a shame.

I don't even seem to have a way to start a ramp on Hue lights, just direct level setting. Oh well.

Page 1 of 1