Insteon/SmartLabs No More?

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:10 am
Midnightsun offline

Insteon/SmartLabs No More?

Sure looks like Insteon finally packed it in. May be a good time to open up an alternative section for Insteon owner discussions. Personally I have 2 very large systems running indigo and insteon that have been running for 28 years now with some hickups during the X10 days but really reliable since the gradual switch to insteon modules over the years. Have pkenty of spares on hand but one day I will run out so would like to start developing a plan B sooner than later.

Link to article. https://www.iclarified.com/85614/insteo ... n-the-dark

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:26 am
RDLSAT offline

Re: Insteon/SmartLabs No More?

Here's hoping that someone out there will purchase the intellectual property rights to the Insteon product line. Smartlabs dropped the ball. Someone needs to pick it up and run with it. Maybe even go open source with the code and de-proprietize the Insteon brand.

It truly is a great product. It would be a shame to let it fade into obscurity.

Wishful thinking.
RDLSAT
Last edited by RDLSAT on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:58 am
Doctor Q offline

Universal Devices is attempting to buy the IP in order to keep a supply of PLMs on hand. Let’s wish them luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:05 am
rehafer offline

I’ve gotten to the point where I would buy a new PLM spare as soon as I swapped in the spare I had, so I have one backup.
Regular switches and plugs I can replace as needed with Lutron or similar; but KeyPadLincs and FanLincs are more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:34 am
Redburga offline

I see they finally have some kind of explanation of what's going on posted at Insteon.com: apparently an anticipated sale fell through. I wonder who the financial services company is that's in charge now and what they're going to do? Just liquidate anything remaining to the highest bidder so that Richmond Capital can try to recover some of its investment? If so, maybe that could give a good chance to Universal Devices to get something. The hub device was never appealing to me due to its dependence on the internet, so I'm glad I stuck with a PLM and Indigo. At least I still have a working system until parts die. My main use for Indigo is some timed events and to set Insteon links. Yes, there are other things the software can do, but I haven't had time or great need to mess with that.

I live near the headquarters. I stopped by during the business day about a month ago to see if I could find any signs of life. There was certainly stuff there, but no people . I went by after hours this week, but the building was locked so I couldn't see if anything was still there. The sign was still on the building. I saw someone write elsewhere that trucks came last Wednesday to load up everything, so maybe the place has been cleaned out.

I used to work with someone who left the company about 12 years ago. I think he left because he was concerned that Joe Dada wasn't making good business choices that would let Insteon succeed.

Another sad thing is that Smarthome used to sell a whole bunch of stuff, not just Insteon. I purchased lots of different things from them over the years. Their catalog was a nice way for me to discover some things I didn't know about.

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:59 am
WagnerOne offline

Redburga wrote:
Another sad thing is that Smarthome used to sell a whole bunch of stuff, not just Insteon. I purchased lots of different things from them over the years. Their catalog was a nice way for me to discover some things I didn't know about.

Same here!

Page 1 of 1