f6c.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 3155 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:35 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: It's dead, Jim

IMO, the key sentence in the entire article is:

In 2017, Smartlabs Inc. was acquired by Richmond Capital Partners, a private investment firm founded by Rob Lilleness, and Lilleness was installed as CEO.

It's not uncommon for private equity firms to buy companies and sell them for parts. In doing that there's often not a lot of consideration paid to the acquired company's customers. That's not necessarily what's happened here, but that's my guess.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:57 pm
jltnol offline

Capitalism at its best... I mean worst.

I've got a lot of Insteon stuff but started to transition to Z-wave, but still have a long way to go. I will utterly miss the KeypadLinc, as they were incredibly versatile and easy to setup and use. But, I have been following the news for awhile now, so this isn't such a total shock.

My hopes would be someone would buy the IP, start a new company, re-engineer new devices to be better, and still maintain some backward compatibility.... but.... I'm not waiting to exhale.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:35 am
peszko offline

jltnol wrote:
My hopes would be someone would buy the IP, start a new company, re-engineer new devices to be better, and still maintain some backward compatibility.... but.... I'm not waiting to exhale.

I would think this is unlikely in the current environment. Apart from the quality of the devices, I think there are some fundamental weaknesses of the Insteon protocol especially for larger installations. Plus, I think the target audience for this kind of automation approach is not very large. A lot of people just want to buy a cheap box, couple devices, give it some passwords and see the lights flicker. Professional installers wouldn't touch Insteon with a 10' pole. So that leaves hobbyists like a lot of Indigo users who love to tinker with their systems and can put in the time and effort to make it work.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:44 am
johnpolasek offline

I have been moving stuff from Insteon to Z-Wave and KASA for some time as switches and sensors die... the only thing that I CAN'T find a replacement for are the 8 button controllers that fit in a single switch box. Does anyone build some kind of equivalent in any other protocol that I have missed?

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:41 pm
peszko offline

johnpolasek wrote:
the only thing that I CAN'T find a replacement for are the 8 button controllers that fit in a single switch box. Does anyone build some kind of equivalent in any other protocol that I have missed?

Same here. I'm still looking for a replacement for this. Any suggestions welcome.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There is the Zooz ZEN32 - it's 5 buttons, not 8, but it seems to have some nice features. I don't have it in the wall yet, but it works nicely in my test environment.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:14 pm
mundmc offline

Wow, thank God I just ordered 20 zwave switches; That could have been devastating.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:26 pm
wormhole offline

What z wave switches do people recommend?

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:09 pm
peszko offline

I use mostly HomeSeer WS200+, WD200+, and will be ordering HomeSeer WX300 when they are in stock.
I have 17 so far and like them a lot.

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:24 am
wormhole offline

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:23 pm
FlyingDiver online

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:13 pm
DaveL17 offline

At least they finally said something. IMO, it changes nothing.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:36 pm
peszko offline

From the Article:

When more widely compatible technologies like Zigbee, Z-Wave, and the upcoming Matter are licensable, it's not clear what anyone would want to buy from Insteon. Certainly, Insteon's brand value must be at near zero after this reputation-destroying stunt.

I'm not surprised nobody wanted to buy it.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:04 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Looks like Homeseer is making a push to capture the wandering users: Homeseer FAQ