It's dead, Jim

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:31 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: It's dead, Jim

I probably ought to make plans to migrate what little Insteon I have to something else. Then I could sell the adapters and maybe the dimmers, etc. I'd need to replace a half-dozen switches, a few plugin modules, etc. Is there an equivalent of the door jam pressure sensors for Z-wave? Or the magnetic contact type sensors? I have four closets I use sensors on to control the lights. Two of them are double door, so I use the magnetic sensors on those.

I might just go with Lutron for the closets and put a motion sensor inside.

I know there's z-wave plug modules, I think I'm actually using one somewhere.

Gotta replace a couple RemoteLinc 2 mini-remotes. Those are harder, but I've done OK with 4 or 5 button Pico remotes and some multi-press triggers. Just need to train the SO to use them..

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:45 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Oh, I see that Aeotec does have recessed door sensors. But it's designed for the open side of the door, not the hinge side. Hmm.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:36 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

GE makes a hinge sensor though I've never used one. There are a bunch of recessed door sensors, I think mine are Monoprice (rebranded Vision) sensors - I have them directly associated with Inovelli switches to turn on/off closet and pantry lights when the door is open/closed.

I suspect your issue will be the continuing limited supply...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:59 pm
bobm91001 offline

So is there any good resource some could point me to that will help me get started investigating a gradual switch to Z-wave? I currently only have Insteon devices (mostly SwitchLinc and KeypadLinc Relays) as they checked all my boxes. There seems to be a much larger selection of Z-wave devices, but I don’t know where to begin.

I saw jay’s mention of Zooz, they look pretty promising. I think at least the ZEN32 could replace my Keypads. How much control is available? Can things like LED color be changed?

My main concern with Zooz however is compatibility with my recessed LEDs. They are mostly Feit which Zoos says will not work. Any advice on other switches that might work with Feit? Or other recessed LEDs to work with Zooz?

Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

bobm91001 wrote:
I saw jay’s mention of Zooz, they look pretty promising. I think at least the ZEN32 could replace my Keypads. How much control is available? Can things like LED color be changed?.

Yes. Indigo can modify arbitrary configuration parameters on Z-Wave devices, so you can change the LED color that way. Indigo 2022.2 (due later this year) will have it in the UI as well.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:21 pm
K3LAG offline

I just got a legalese letter 'Notice of Assignment' that I had no idea what it meant. Now I guess I know.

I had just started buy a few z-wave things.

As we are buying/building a new home in the near future I have to think about what direction I want to go.

Posted on
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:08 am
Jim offline

I've been slowly moving to Thread based devices line Eve, Wemo and Nanoleaf. Still waiting on Tread stitches and outlets. Trying to buy from manufacturers that say they will support Matter but who really knows. The reliability has been OK but not as good as Insteon was. I've been selling the related Insteon devices on eBay. Big demand.

Posted on
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:37 pm
jltnol offline

the
ZEN32
looks very promising.... just need them to make a dimmer version, and I'd be happy!

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:14 am
ELWOOD offline

Posted on
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:38 pm
Forrest offline

I received this email today:

Dear Smarthome subscriber,

Hello, my name is Ken and I'm the CEO of Insteon Technologies, a new company made up of a small group of passionate Insteon users that acquired the Insteon business. Together we are committed to responsibly re-building the company. Our commitment to you, the Insteon family, is to listen, communicate and be as transparent as possible in everything we do.

You are receiving this letter because you were a subscriber to the Smarthome email list. Moving forward Insteon is no longer connected to Smarthome and therefore no further email communications will be sent to this list. To continue to receive emails relevant to Insteon, click the Subscribe link below to join the Insteon Newsletter.

Subscribe

We look forward to sharing more Insteon news with you there.

Kind regards,
Ken

The link goes to insteon.com

Posted on
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:07 pm
akimball offline

I got one of those email's too. I'm glad I never hubbed my system so that it needed cloud support. Indigo was all I ever needed... it does occur to me that I'd like to pick up another wifi modem or two going forward into the future in case mine eventually fry's. I also hope that some of the devices become available for purchase... could use a couple of specific items.

If the new insteon people have anything they could do which might solve potential problems it would be to upgrade the security of insteon. I think it was always deemed easy to hack into.
Last edited by akimball on Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

They are working on getting device manufacturing up and going for the most popular devices. Rumor has it they may also introduce an upgraded PowerLinc with some improvements, so fingers crossed for you Insteon users...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:26 pm
akimball offline

Yay! for upgraded powerlink.

-Al

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:44 am
Korey offline

Guessing it's like this one from the FCC documents.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 9.41.37 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 9.41.37 AM.jpg (197.05 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

--
Korey