Smarthome/Insteon/Nokia are kaput

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:23 am
Doctor Q offline

Smarthome/Insteon/Nokia are kaput

I have a few spares but I guess I’ll be looking at Lurton Caseta in the future. This has been a long time coming, at least the uncertainty is over.
https://forum.universal-devices.com/top ... e-offline/

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Smarthome/Insteon/Nokia are kaput

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that's been paying attention. Insteon was a great alternative to X10, but it suffered from a lot of fundamental flaws that newer tech doesn't.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:45 pm
dprlemon offline

What does the future hold for Indigo that that Insteon is dead? I got hooked on Insteon years ago and used Indigo as my primary controller and the hub as a back up. It was Indigo that got me started with home automation, first with X-10, then the huge leap to Insteon. I know you now support Z-Wave, any support for other products in the pipeline?

Posted on
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We always keep an eye on the market and where it's going. That's the reason we added plugins, followed by Z-Wave years ago. Insteon going away has been something we've been warning users about for years. Z-Wave is not going anywhere anytime soon given the dozens of vendors selling hundreds of different devices.

We are watching Matter to see how it progresses - it's been delayed at least twice already, but we're watching. There are a bunch of 3rd party plugins that integrate lots of other technologies as well.

So, bottom line - Insteon going away doesn't really mean much for us because we've expected it for years.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:47 am
dprlemon offline

That's good to hear - it a great software product. Looking forward to the next update so I can update my MacOS!

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:35 pm
ryanbuckner offline

dprlemon wrote:
That's good to hear - it a great software product. Looking forward to the next update so I can update my MacOS!

I have an Insteon centric house, because like a lot of you I started with Indigo when I got into home automation.

As my Insteon switches start to die off (and most of them are 7+ years old) , what's the most reliable alternative?
  • I mainly use Insteon Dimmers to control my lights (I have roughly 30 of these)
  • I have a few Insteon KeyPadLinc's for control of rooms where there is a light and a ceiling fan. I absolutely hate them, but 6 buttons are better than 1
  • I have 3 FanLincs
  • I also use Insteon motion sensors, which are expensive and it looks like the competing motion sensors also have temperature and humidity sensors
  • I have a few Z-Wave devices so that seems like the natural next step
  • Door open / close sensors are mostly Insteon but started adding some Z-Wave lately because they were cheaper

So.. I have about 60 Insteon devices that will have to go at some point. What would you recommend?

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:54 pm
jalves offline

I'm in a similar position as @ryanbuckner above. My plan:

Do nothing until my insteon devices fail.
When they do fail, replace wall switches with Z-wave switches, and plug-in controllers with Z-wave devices.

My biggest hangup is the 5 fan-link fans and their associated 6-key control pads. Hoping there will be a z-wave solution by then.

But for now, rumors of Insteon device impending death is premature. Its only wounded.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:08 pm
ryanbuckner offline

jalves wrote:
I'm in a similar position as @ryanbuckner above. My plan:

Do nothing until my insteon devices fail.
When they do fail, replace wall switches with Z-wave switches, and plug-in controllers with Z-wave devices.

My biggest hangup is the 5 fan-link fans and their associated 6-key control pads. Hoping there will be a z-wave solution by then.

But for now, rumors of Insteon device impending death is premature. Its only wounded.

I think the major news was the Insteon cloud that has gone offline. Our devices will work until they don't. And since we use Indigo which communicates with Insteon through the PowerLinc rather than Insteon cloud we're mostly unaffected (until you need to replace a deice).

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:44 pm
Shavano offline

Is there any replacement for the PowerLink module? If that goes out, how does Indigo communicate with the Insteon devices that remain?

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Shavano wrote:
If that goes out, how does Indigo communicate with the Insteon devices that remain?

It doesn't. Insteon is out of business, so when the stock of Insteon devices dries up, that's it for Insteon support. Nobody else is making Insteon products.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:02 pm
Korey offline

The Powerlinc is the achilles heel!

If it fails there are ways to repair them if you dont have a spare.

Here's a link to a repair service on Ebay, and another.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, here are all the parts you need.

eBay is insane now with PLMs going for $500.00+ everyone is panicking!

I will be moving over to Lutron RA eventually, but my 100+ devices of Insteon are still going strong, so no need for now! RA4 will probably be out by the time I need to move on! :D :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:09 pm
peszko offline

I've been replacing Insteon for some time now, but I guess I should speed up. Even with few remaining Insteon devices, they are still responsible for 99% of any issues I have with the system. Indigo has been solid for me for many years. The only think I still need is a replacement for the two keypadlinks that I just can't seem to find a good replacement for. Any suggestions?

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:13 pm
bruce743 offline

Matt/Jay, have you guys thought about when you might drop support for Insteon modems/devices in Indigo? I know eventually it won't be cost effective to keep supporting them. But hopefully you'll continue to support them for years to come. I'm one of those old timers with a large Insteon installation. It's worked great with Indigo! I don't want to replace my Insteon devices until they die, or at least until my last Insteon modem does. :-)

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:00 pm
gadgetnut offline

I echo @bruce743’s sentiments exactly. Insteon had once been a cornerstone of my Indigo installations and many, many pieces are still high functioning.

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We have no plans to remove Insteon support. As an example, we still support X10 RF devices despite the fact that there are probably fewer users still using them than I can count on two hands... :)

Jay (Indigo Support)