Smarthome/Insteon/Nokia are kaput

Posted on
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Smarthome/Insteon/Nokia are kaput

skoeppen wrote:
You say that you've been warning users for years that Insteon will be going away. Where have the warnings been? This is the first I've heard of it.

Look around the forums - we've said/implied as much in a variety of places, including warnings that becoming dependent on a sole provider of technology can be a tricky thing. Insteon has (and, turns out, continues to be) a technology that we spent a lot of time making work as well as possible from Indigo. But it also has well-known issues, discussed all over this forum, which we do not attempt to hide. We have and will continue to help users who have made the commitment to Insteon to use it as successfully as anything else we develop.

skoeppen wrote:
I have well over 100 Insteon devices. Fortunately I've got a number of spares for most every type of module and a lot of them can be replaced with z-wave modules (which I've already done for a few). However, I have 5 keypadlincs which are used extensively and I don't see anything available that can replace them. I'm hoping that as a minimum, repair services will be offered as there must be a lot of users like me that would take advantage of them.

Lucky, Insteon was rescued by a group of investors (and has detached itself from smarthome.com), and we've had a few conversations with them. We are encouraged for our Insteon users that they are committed to getting product back into manufacturing.

There isn't a Z-Wave (or any other technology that we've seen) device that looks like a KeypadLinc, though there are other multi-button controllers out there. Check out the scene controllers section of the compatible devices page for some alternatives.

I've mentioned to someone on the new Insteon team that, should they be looking long-term, they might want to consider building a KeypadLinc that uses a different technology (Z-Wave, Matter, etc) since it's probably the one device on the market that doesn't seem to have a lot of direct competition. I have no insight to any of their long-term plans (so don't ask), it was just a suggestion given the breadth of our experience.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:38 am
skoeppen offline

Jay - Thanks for taking the time to explain. I guess I need to spend more time perusing the forums. Thanks also for the encouraging info regarding the rescue of Insteon.

I actually have 6 KeypadLincs. I've replaced 5 of them that were model 2486 over the past several years with model 2334's. I have one more model 2486 that I installed in 2012 that is still working okay and I fortunately have a spare model 2334 if that one dies on me.

Steve Koeppen
X10 user from the early 80's
Converted to Insteon 2011 - 2014
Started adding z-wave 2014
Happy :D Indigo owner since v1 in 2005

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:27 pm
sfcreatus offline

Hi Jay, Mat, FlyingDiver,

Could you recommend which devices/brands/technologies could be a good replacement for Insteon? Something that works well with the IndigoDomotics app, has a good track record for reliability, relatively ease of use, a company who will probably be around for a while and a broad range of products including LED compatible dimmers?

Or maybe a few different devices/brands to try out in order of preference?

Would you wait a little longer until Matter is worked out?

I have about 90 Insteon devices including Keypad lincs, thermostats, low voltage relays, etc.

Thanks for your advice.