INSTEON on Generator

Posted on
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:10 pm
RogueProeliator offline

INSTEON on Generator

Apologies if this has been noted before, but I don't recall it... but just a heads up that INSTEON dimmers (primarily) are NOT happy with modified sine wave generators. If you plan to plug in a generator to your house and use INSTEON, make sure you have a pure sine wave generator (inverter generator). I always assumed they might have issues but confirmed that this week.

Obviously other things have issues such as UPS in this setup, but at least the UPS can regulate its plugged in devices. I didn't try the PowerLinc modem as I didn't power on the rack. Need a bigger generator for that...

Adam

Posted on
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:45 pm
jltnol offline

Re: INSTEON on Generator

Hurricane Ida?

I've got a bunch of Insteon KeypadLincs, and you are right, the are not happy with whatever my Generac generator is putting out. Every time the air conditioner comes on, they do a little 'Flash Dance', then settle down. I'm back on 'shore power' for a few days and so far I haven't noticed any damage to the Insteon devices... everything seems to be working... but will post if I find out anything different.

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: INSTEON on Generator

Hurricane Ida?

Yeah, we were out of power for 3 or so days. I should have access to a pure sine wave generator for the next hurricane (or other loss of power) so am interested to see if that will produce a clean signal that Insteon devices are okay with even initially. Just have to rig something up since it is a neutral bonded generator instead of floating neutral, which is a PITA.

Page 1 of 1