All Insteon devices are SLOW Response

Posted on
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:03 pm
makedrinklas offline

All Insteon devices are SLOW Response

Hi all,

Lots of mayhem happening, only with Insteon. Sorry for the detail, just throwing it all at the wall.

The error on what seems every Insteon device....
Error resending previous command (busy or unexpected command)

Background:
Mac 2018 running Catalina, 10.15.7
As of today running Indigo 2021.1.1 and 2.4.4 FTDI drivers were installed
The PowerLinc 2143U is the 2.5 version, it has a dedicated outlet into the power panel
FYI, I've recently integrated several Zwave devices, a couple blinds & outlets. (So much less expensive than Insteon – and apparently more reliable)

Previously: in the week: I had my electrician in last week and he ran a neutral wire from an existing power outlet to a switch box that also has power for a ceiling fan. No switch, just hardwired, it has a FanLinc which is many years old now. He also added an Insteon Dimmer for the ceiling lights which required a neutral. Oddly, there was no neutral in the box which is why we did that, cutting a hole in the wall leading from one device to the other. Not sure if the FanLinc uses a different neutral, but it was working well, prior. So the neutral for the light circuit is probably on a different circuit.

We also had quite a lightning storm yesterday, but it seems things have been getting wonky for about a week. I'm thinking it has to do with the fan and the new Insteon dimmer. I'm also using Homekit Bridge, everything stopped responding last weekend. I also can't get my Honeywell Wifi thermostat to be recognized by Homekit. That's another mess. Apple nor Honeywell support were any help.

For some reason now the fan does not turn on from Indigo for several minutes. Then suddenly it started. Then a while later went to full speed after I hit the button 5 minutes prior. I've been hearing some clicking from the fan, which is unusual.

I've cleared the internal links and also reset the Powerlinc and sync links under Advanced PoweLinc Options, also during this period, I tested an older version 2.3 PowerLinc and the back, and the USB name has changed as the original was not available (error message)

I have a new 2143U on order to arrive next week in the event the device was zapped during the storm or if the FanLinc and the new Insteon Dimmer switch are flipping things out.

Any advice is appreciated....

Here is what I'm seeing in the log after re-syncing links:

PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Outlet - Front Garden" (address 4C.DE.7D, firmware version 44)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing all links
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 49.F8.BD, flags AA, group FE, data 00 1C 00
PowerLinc Linking - . removing: old PowerLinc address 49.F8.BD from device's database
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 53.C1.B6, flags AA, group FE, data 00 1C 00
PowerLinc Linking - comparing local and remote links
PowerLinc Linking - compare complete
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - device "Outlet - Front Garden" links updated
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Office Fan - Light N/A" (address 14.CF.FA, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Linking - adding PowerLinc to database of module 14.CF.FA
PowerLinc Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
PowerLinc Linking - received module button pressed from 14.CF.FA
PowerLinc Linking - exited linking mode
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: default on brightness 100%, ramp rate duration 0.5 seconds
PowerLinc Linking - initialize complete
PowerLinc Linking - device "Office Fan - Light N/A" properties updated
PowerLinc Linking - device "Office Fan" properties updated
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Office Fan - Light N/A" (address 14.CF.FA, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 53.C1.B6, flags AA, group FE, data 00 1C 00
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 49.F8.BD, flags AA, group FE, data 00 1C 00
PowerLinc Linking - . removing: old PowerLinc address 49.F8.BD from device's database
PowerLinc Linking - device "Office Fan - Light N/A" links updated
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Office Fan" (address 14.CF.FA, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Unexpected command 02 62 (flushing)
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Office Fan" (address 14.CF.FA, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely (skipping)
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Light - Dining Room" (address 53.D1.65, firmware version 42)
PowerLinc Linking - adding PowerLinc to database of module 53.D1.65
PowerLinc Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
PowerLinc Linking - received module button pressed from 53.D1.65
PowerLinc Linking - exited linking mode
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: default on brightness 100%, ramp rate duration 0.5 seconds
PowerLinc Linking - device "Light - Dining Room" properties updated
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Light - Dining Room" (address 53.D1.65, firmware version 42)
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 49.F8.BD, flags EA, group 01, data 03 1F 00
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: PowerLinc responder for group 1 (replacing empty link at 0FF8)
PowerLinc Linking - device "Light - Dining Room" links updated
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Light - Kitchen Party" (address 40.2D.4F, firmware version 48)
Z-Wave received "Thermostat - Radiators" humidity update to 77.0%

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:25:18 PM
Error Linking - initializing failed
PowerLinc Linking

Also today after running an action... I happened to notice some lights on mysteriously, so I tried to turn them off.

Aug 15, 2021 at 1:07:05 PM
Action Group ALL OUTSIDE Lights OFF
Sent Hue Lights "Light - 3638 Alley" off at ramp rate 0.0 sec.
Sent Hue Lights "Light - 3638 Alley" off at ramp rate 0.0 sec.
Z-Wave sent "Outlet - Candles 2FL" off
Sent X10 "Light - Barn Security" off
Error "Light - Back Porch" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Sent X10 "Light - Barn Security" off
Error "Light - Back Porch" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Sent INSTEON "Light - Front Porch" on to 0
Last edited by makedrinklas on Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: All Insteon devices are SLOW Response

It looks like a signal issue of some kind. I am a bit confused - you had a FanLinc prior to the work, which requires a neutral. But there wasn't a neutral in the wall box where the line wires ran to the fan's ceiling box?

In any event, something about your power system changed which is causing some kind of signal issue. I'd start by air-gapping the new dimmer (pull out the LED on the bottom until it stays out) and see if that changes anything.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:57 pm
makedrinklas offline

That’s an awesome idea, doing so in a minute.

So yeah, I don't fully understand but the fanlinc was able to be implemented a while back and worked fine. BUT the 2 gang box that had the fan switch circuit and the spots did not have a “connected” neutral wire. Like there was a break somewhere that we couldn’t find without opening walls. Electrician opened up every device including the fan and all six can lights but couldn’t find it. With relatively new wiring from a prior remodel. Best guess is they hid a box or a splice in a wall.

So he cut a hole and ran a neutral from another new outlet circuit, 3 feet up to the 2 gang box so the Insteon dimmer could control the cans.

I agree this seemed to be the start of the slow response times which appear as non-response.

Thank you, I’ll update.

Posted on
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:31 am
ryanbuckner offline

I had a similar issue where one day everything became super slow and failures were everywhere. It turned out to be 1 Insteon switch that was starting to fail. I followed Jay's advice and started air-gapping devices until performance started to improve. Then I added devices back 1 by 1. It took a few days to figure out where the issue was.

Posted on
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:58 pm
makedrinklas offline

REVISED!

Perfect solution! It WAS just the new Franken-neutral + dimmer switch. I also have a two wire version of the Insteon Dimmer switch (model 2474D) that I suspected had become fried in this attempt to add a neutral to a device where none was active. My test was to do a sync, just having either device active in the system would cause the non-response error. Disabling both provided a clean sync.

However... I was about to replace the two-wire Insteon Dimmer and pushed the button in so I could identify the circuit breaker in the panel to kill power. But I did some quick on-off tests of nearby devices and everything seems to still work. NOT having a neutral and seemed non-responsive during the sync? I was even able to control the 2 wire device.

Well, still very well done, thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. Apparently I needed to do a sync of the system after air-gapping the wonky neutral device.
Last edited by makedrinklas on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:47 pm
makedrinklas offline

One more thing I'd like to note, the Honeywell Lyric thermostat is now back online and connected to Homekit. I did several things from reset the unit's WiFi to disabling the Homekit Bridge plugin. The device still showed offline in the app so I deleted it and all data and then re-downloaded from the app store and logged in. Everything came up normally and I was able to go into the settings for the device and connect to Homekit.

A pretty good day overall.
Last edited by makedrinklas on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:07 pm
makedrinklas offline

Strike that. The two obvious devices that might be failing are air gapped and still things take a few minutes to react. Removing solved. :oops:

Posted on
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:54 pm
makedrinklas offline

HI :(

I'm gradually adding Insteon devices back in, however, I have a new problem that may be related. I have two Insteon devices (Dimmer and 6 Button Keypad) that work in 3-way that I am able to manually link. I have reset both and then did the link and they seem to work fine.

Previously, I was having trouble with linking them in Indigo, I was deleting the links, everything kind of hung and I had to physically unplug the PLM and reset via the interface. I've gone over the documentation on linking on the Indigo website. I've also rebooted. So I deleted both from the database. When trying to add one of them back (the dimmer), Indigo/the PowerLinc cannot connect to the device. I've tried several times, even after rebooting. I feel as if this is where I went wrong, with the linking via Indigo. I t seems I had trouble with adding and deleting links because the screen caps and the interface don't match. I believe I may have caused the problem with these two. Or not, air gapping may have brought things to normal prior to my linking fiasco.

Below are the error messages.

Suggestions? Also, a possible clue, after installing the new FTDI drivers, I have a couple of extras in there, see attachment.

A 4-Way dimmer setup is working fine. everything now syncs after air-gapping the two devices mentioned above. It appears a 2 wire device is not working and also the odd neutral device (wired off a circuit with a large UPS) is not working properly. Not a good few days for Insteon.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:04:49 PM
PowerLinc Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 53.C1.B6)
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 51.44.1C, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
PowerLinc Linking - PowerLinc links updated
PowerLinc Linking - sending engine version request to 51.44.1C
PowerLinc Linking - no response from device
(Repeats)
Error SendInsteonMessage failed
Error linking canceled by user
(Repeats)
Error CancelAllLinking failed
Attachments
Extra usbserials.png
Extra usbserials.png (207.34 KiB) Viewed 2594 times

Posted on
Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:04 pm
makedrinklas offline

Wow this is terrible. I’m paying an electrician who is fitting me into his schedule tomorrow to remove 4 Insteon devices. I thought everything was back in order with suspect devices “air gapped”. Now its not just a few hours later, scheduled events and direct commands from Indigo aren't working. “Resending previous command or unexpected command” errors non-stop. The devices themselves are working fine, controlling lights. I’m beginning to wonder if the problem lies elsewhere than 4 (yes four) bad devices. Lol.

Posted on
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yikes, sounds like there are some definitely gremlins messing up your Insteon network. Some additional things to look into would be:

• Noise / signal sucker on the same (or a nearby) circuit as the PowerLinc. I know you mentioned it is on a dedicated circuit/outlet into the power panel, but still try plugging the PowerLinc into different outlets on different circuits using an extension cord. Can it then control/sync with some of the problem modules?

• USB / FTDI issue. I believe you have the most recent PowerLinc firmware so this seems unlikely, but definitely try different USB ports including those on USB hubs to see if that helps. Also swap out the PowerLinc USB cable.

• Malfunctioning PowerLinc. I believe you had an older PowerLinc as well, but it wasn't clear to me if that one shows the same problems communicating/syncing with the same modules. Maybe experiment around with that again?

Posted on
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:39 pm
bschollnick2 offline

makedrinklas wrote:
Wow this is terrible. I’m paying an electrician who is fitting me into his schedule tomorrow to remove 4 Insteon devices. I thought everything was back in order with suspect devices “air gapped”. Now its not just a few hours later, scheduled events and direct commands from Indigo aren't working. “Resending previous command or unexpected command” errors non-stop. The devices themselves are working fine, controlling lights. I’m beginning to wonder if the problem lies elsewhere than 4 (yes four) bad devices. Lol.

Have you tried the Ping Plugin to help debug the issue?

- Benjamin

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:50 pm
makedrinklas offline

First of all, thank you all for your help. I'm happy to say that for now everything is working well.

So I took a scatter-shot approach, I decided it was best to migrate as many devices to Zwave as possible.

First, I took your advice Matt and basically changed it up as much as I could. Extension cord, new US cable, and a brand new 2413 PowerLinc (v2.5) module arrived yesterday and so I installed that. I also removed 7 Insteon devices, 3 of which were 4-way linked and two were 3-way linked. One was a 2 wire dimmer. Plus the dimmer running of a neutral from an outlet circuit. Just to note the existing PLM was v2.5 as well, possible a year and a half old. I have to say the Zwave devices are very easy to add – just once device, as opposed to multiple cross-linking.

So a bit ago, everything seemed to be working but I did a Batch Sync and several outlets said they could not be synced remotely. Another outlet device, when I tried to re-sync links in the device setup, it could not be found. I thought, here we go again. In fact others began today to have the same issue.

I then said what the hell, let's go through setup on each Insteon outlet as if it were a brand new device. That actually seemed to work, they were found right away. I have done this for the remaining few Insteons I have and all seems mostly back to normal. For now.

Also, as a side note, even with a dedicated outlet to the box, you may run into line issues. I attempted today to plug the new PLM into that outlet and immediately started getting X10 rceived messages every second, stops, then starts again, over and over. Even with a W800RF32 unplugged and I don't have any X10's with the J house code. Putting it back on the extension cord stopped this. So all is really good at the moment.
Received X10 J10 status request
Received X10 J8 status request

Thanks again, I will post if this crops up again. I think trying to test devices by running the device setup as if it were new may be the way to go to see how they respond.

***Also, a helpful tip for anyone posting here. Start your message in Notes and the copy into the forum. Especially if you walk away for a bit, you'll get logged out. All will appear fine until you hit Submit and then re-login. Your text will be gone!

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:18 pm
makedrinklas offline

Strike that. Still seeing many J10 x10 requests. All else is working though so there’s that.

Posted on
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:23 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I think you really need to track down where those J10 X10 commands are coming from. Can you just start flipping off circuit breakers until it stops to locate the circuit it is coming from?

Posted on
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:21 am
makedrinklas offline

I have actually tried that, my Indigo setup is in the basement about 12 feet from the Mac. Nothing has stopped it, not even unplugging the X10 antenna from USB. I am seeing other addresses as well including. J11 status request, L8 status request, H10 status request. I've turned off every circuit with anything HA connected to it, even several with nothing. I'll try again, I highlight a line and can see the messages scrolling upward on the log from across the room.

I will also try unplugging the controller and the AD2USB devices.. I also, have an older pair of filters that the Mac's UPS is plugged into. Hmmm...

Page 1 of 1