2413UH PLM on MacOS 11.3.1

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2021 7:37 pm
elf55 offline

2413UH PLM on MacOS 11.3.1

I hadn't had interface (FTDI) problems since I upgraded to a 2018 Mac Mini, so I foolishly upgraded to 11.3.1 (Big Sur) from ver 11.2.3 and bam. No FTDI com port for the PLM. I tried installing the latest FTDI drivers, but MacOS blocks them. I tried all the old tricks of removing the USB cable and reinserting after boot, connecting via a USB hub, etc, but no luck at all in communicating with the PLM. I guess there's a chance that the PLM is bad, but it's unlikely. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to hearing, but in the mean time be warned about the 11.3 upgrades.

Interestingly, I can access my RFXCOM serial port via the built in FTDI driver. But that's never been a problem.

-Mike

Edit: I had an old 2314S with a serial to USB converter, so I unplugged the 2413U and plugged in the 2314S and it communicated. So I may be too fast in blaming the com port driver. But the 2413 U was working fine prior to the OS upgrade, so it would be a remarkable circumstance if the PLM went bad at that exact time. I guess I've seen weirder, but I'm still not convinced. I'll try it on a different machine and report back.
Attachments
FTDI-InsteonPLM.png
FTDI-InsteonPLM.png (470.04 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

Posted on
Wed May 05, 2021 10:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: 2413UH PLM on MacOS 11.3.1

elf55 wrote:
so it would be a remarkable circumstance if the PLM went bad at that exact time.

You would be surprised at the number of times this circumstance (or a similar one) happens. A LOT. I suspect that the USB implementation on the PowerLinc isn't that robust, and that a reboot cycle of the Mac can trigger a failure. Yes, it's still showing up on the USB bus, but something in the PowerLinc USB communication logic gets fried or confused. Definitely try a factory reset on it - it could just be that it's confused about some internal setting that got corrupted. Also, make sure the green LED on the side is on.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 06, 2021 12:46 pm
elf55 offline

Definitely try a factory reset on it

Jay,

How right you are. I did a reset of the PLM and it worked.... for about 2 hours and then died again. I might be better off just using the serial PLM with the USB to serial converter. That at least takes the USB interface out of the module. I've never had a serial PLM die like this, but that may just be luck.

-Mike

Posted on
Thu May 06, 2021 1:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

They fail in spectacularly odd ways, those PowerLinc's... :roll:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1