match the On state to the state of an Insteon KeypadLinc

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:37 pm
jltnol offline

match the On state to the state of an Insteon KeypadLinc

So I'm thinking(hoping) this will do automatically what I have numerous triggers set up to do, namely I can link any device to a KPL, and when the device is "ON", the KPL will automatically go on as well.

So how does this work? I can't find any documentation on this new feature....

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: match the On state to the state of an Insteon KeypadLin

It's in the Light/Appliance Controls section of the action types (arguably it could have been in the Brand Specific Insteon controls, but we decided to place it with the rest of those match actions). It works just like the other Match * actions in that you first specify a KeypadLinc, then in the resulting config dialog you select which button (LED) and the devices that you want to set to the ON state of that button. It's an action - you still need to trigger when the action fires. For instance, you can do trigger like this:

grab6.png
grab6.png (109.77 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

And then the action would be to match your device(s) to that button.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 pm
jltnol offline

S U P E R!

I just wasn't looking in the right place!

THANKS

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:09 pm
jltnol offline

Ok
so I must be doing something wrong, and/or don't understand the purpose of this change.

I have a KPL, and a Z-Wave switch for a fan. I'm hoping to get them to work in tandem. as one goes one, so does the other, and vice versa. Perhaps this is my first mistake?

Here's what I've done:

Create a trigger for the Fan Device, set it to Any Change, with the action of Match On State to KPL LED.
From there I choose the main KPL device in the Device pop up, and with the resultant pop up that follows, I'm able to choose the Keypad LED, in this case #4.

In my mind, that should be the end of the relationship.... I'm defining the device, and defining the KPL LED, that I'm expecting to work in tandem, but still have to choose a Device from the list. Not sure what I should choose,, but my only option is the Z-wave Fan device, since I can only choose the main KPL, not the particular KPL LED.

With this setup, when I turn the fan on, I'm expecting the trigger I just set up to turn on the KPL LED. But what happens is the fan turns on and then turns off, with no activity on the KPL LED..

Here is what pops up in the log:
Code: Select all
Z-Wave                          received "OF-01 Fan" status update is on
   Z-Wave                          received "OF-01 Fan" scene 1 (0001)
   Trigger                         **Fan to KPL
   Z-Wave                          sent "OF-01 Fan" off
   Trigger                         **Fan to KPL
I'm kind of guessing Scene 1 represent this "relationship" I'm trying to work, but either I have something set up wrong, or this isn't designed to do what I thought it did.

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The addition is only an action that will set other devices to the state of the selected KeypadLinc. It's an action, not a trigger or some kind of multiway association like Insteon links or Z-Wave associations: it's just an easy way to match random devices' on state to that of a KPL button. Therefore, it will not sync from the devices selected back to the KPL. To do that, you need some other way to trigger based on the other device change that will turn on the KPL button. If it's a group, you can create a virtual on/off device and then trigger when that device has an on state change to update the KPL button.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:24 pm
jltnol offline

Got it.

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:36 pm
dduff617 offline

In my opinion, it would be super handy if there were a corresponding action under Device Actions>Brand Specific Controls>Insteon>Match Keypad LED State to On State.

The benefit of the "match" commands is significant when you are managing a bunch of keypad buttons - so by the same logic, having the ability to set LED state on/off with a single trigger would be a welcome change.

...or if this already exists and I just haven't found it, please let me know!

Page 1 of 1