Issue with the 2844-222 Motion Sensor

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:19 pm
jeramiah1945 offline

Issue with the 2844-222 Motion Sensor

I have a 2844 motion sensor in my garage pointing to my inside door. I have a trigger configured that turns the garage lights on and then off again in 10 minutes. Its been working fine for months but now the sensor is switching itself on every 30-40 seconds. Then it will go off and immediately switch on again despite the fact that there is no motion. I have replaced the sensor and the new one working normally for a few months and now it is exhibiting the exact same behavior. Below is what is seen in the event log. The sensor is named 'Motion Sensor - Garage Inside Door". The battery is fresh and I replaced it anyway to no avail. I have power cycled the sensor, deleted it from Indigo and reinstalled it, but no change. I have another sensor in the same garage pointing to another door in the garage and it works normally, never had a problem with it.

This recurring issue is always associated with button 1 which according the the event log is the 'set' button on top of the sensor. When you press the motion button on the top of the sensor event log shows button 13 was activated. When I remove or replace the battery door that seems to be button 16.

Another data point, I move the sensor into the house to try and trouble shoot it and it continues the same behavior so I don't think there is an environmental issue in the garage.

During these cycles, I see activity in the indicator at the bottom of the Indigo interface indicating that there is activity going over my powerlinc 2413U or perhaps my Zwave module. However, when I manually turn the motion sensor on or off from Indigo, there is no activity shown.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on what might be going on with my sensor. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:57:13 PM
Received INSTEON "Motion Sensor - Garage Inside Door" off (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Motion Sensor - Garage Inside Door" on (button 1)

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:58:13 PM

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:59:24 PM

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:00:05 PM

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:00:45 PM

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:01:27 PM

Posted on
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:12 pm
jeramiah1945 offline

Re: Issue with the 2844-222 Motion Sensor

I think the problem may be with the battery. I used a hard wired power connection via the internal micro USB connection and the sensor performed normally. So I ordered some fresh CR123A batteries to see if that will fix the problem

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Issue with the 2844-222 Motion Sensor

Good idea – I suspect that is the problem.

Page 1 of 1