FanLinc and/or Fan issue with setSpeedIndex

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2020 3:51 pm
rbdubz3 offline

FanLinc and/or Fan issue with setSpeedIndex

I have a FanLinc that used to work just fine with a particular ceiling fan. More recently it doesn't seem to respond to the command:
Code: Select all
indigo.speedcontrol.setSpeedIndex(device.id, value=newSpeedIndex)

If the newSpeedIndex is set to 2 (med) or 3 (high). Seems to be getting progressively worse as recent attempts to change the speed - via python or directly via indigo - the fan starts to make a bad noise like it is really trying but can't quite get going. BTW - fanSpeed = 1 (low) seems to be fine.

BTW - I have a second FanLinc + ceiling fan in another room that seems to behave just fine to these commands. Any tips/recommendations appreciated..

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2020 4:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: FanLinc and/or Fan issue with setSpeedIndex

Does the Event Log show any errors? Unfortunately this sounds like a hardware malfunction to me.

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2020 4:57 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Not seeing any errors at all Matt.. Also - I just tried an Insteon Factory Reset of the FanLinc - still behaves the same.

So by 'Hardware Error' - assume you mean the FanLinc correct? Not my ceiling fan ?

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is a good question. I would lean towards the FanLinc, but not sure I can rule out the fan itself until you swap in a new/different one to see. Smarthome support might have a better idea – I've never heard of one failing in this way.

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2020 3:28 pm
CraigM offline

rbdubz3 wrote:
I have a FanLinc that used to work just fine with a particular ceiling fan. More recently it doesn't seem to respond to the command:
Code: Select all
indigo.speedcontrol.setSpeedIndex(device.id, value=newSpeedIndex)

If the newSpeedIndex is set to 2 (med) or 3 (high). Seems to be getting progressively worse as recent attempts to change the speed - via python or directly via indigo - the fan starts to make a bad noise like it is really trying but can't quite get going. BTW - fanSpeed = 1 (low) seems to be fine.

BTW - I have a second FanLinc + ceiling fan in another room that seems to behave just fine to these commands. Any tips/recommendations appreciated..

Of all the Insteon devices I have owned over the years the FanLinc is the most likely to fail. I will be replacing my 11th FanLinc (4 different fans), as another one has just failed this week (LOW dead).

The most common reported failures are:
1) LOW = dead, MED & HIGH = working
2) HIGH = dead, LOW & MED = working
3) HIGH or LOW = 'bad noise', MED = working

TIP: Install FanLinc's using Wago 221 Lever Nuts, it makes the swap less painful each time one fails
Last edited by CraigM on Mon May 04, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2020 4:17 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks for the details CraigM - I've had 2 FanLincs for about 4 years but this is the first issue I've encountered - I guess from your experience I should be shopping deals and stashing a few here and there. I am looking to do 3 more - plus now I have a failed one :(

BTW - any success getting Insteon/Smarthome to replace them free-of-charge? That is a pretty high rate of failure.

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2020 6:19 pm
CraigM offline

rbdubz3 wrote:
BTW - any success getting Insteon/Smarthome to replace them free-of-charge? That is a pretty high rate of failure.

Only if it fails under warranty. Smarthome often has 20%-30% sales so its best to create your own inventory.

I keep hoping that some other manufacturer will invent a Z-Wave device like the FanLinc. Poor quality is what you get when you have no competition.

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2020 7:34 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Ok - popped a new one (well Used from Amazon Warehouse) up there to see if it is the FanLinc or the Fan.. It seems to be working and I can leverage all three speeds of the fan. However, it seems like the LOW/MED speeds are laboring - kinda louder like the FanLinc is fighting with the Fan speeds a bit. The HIGH speed is nice and whisper-quiet..

Maybe these FanLincs somehow mismatch with the fan speeds or something - who knows. BTW good tip on the 'stock-up' - if I'm gonna have 5 of these in my house I'll probably need A back-up or 5

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Oh - forgot to mention - the new (AZ Warehouse) FanLinc came with the wires 'out of order' with what is shown in the installation pdf manual from Insteon - Instead of White->Black->Red->Blue it was White->Blue->Red->Black .. Go figure.. I decided to trust that 'black' was 'black' and not really blue - it seems to work ok except for the non-whisper quiet issues with LOW/MED ... Nice quality control Insteon!!!

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am
CraigM offline

rbdubz3 wrote:
Oh - forgot to mention - the new (AZ Warehouse) FanLinc came with the wires 'out of order' with what is shown in the installation pdf manual from Insteon - Instead of White->Black->Red->Blue it was White->Blue->Red->Black .. Go figure.. I decided to trust that 'black' was 'black' and not really blue - it seems to work ok except for the non-whisper quiet issues with LOW/MED ... Nice quality control Insteon!!!

Don't expect any two FanLinc's to act the same if they are from different REVISION's. SmartLabs is always making changes, sometimes the units function better - but I have also seen a newer REVISION be much worse.

I have two identical fans side by side with different REV FanLincs and they don't act the same. They even spin at slightly different speeds.

It would be helpful for you to post the REV and DATECODE for the unit that failed and the new one installed. Also the Fan make/model.

TIP: Tired of seeing the FanLinc LED's glowing from inside your fan's cover plate? This will turn them off.

Interfaces > Insteon/X10 Powerline > Execute Raw Insteon Command

Select Device from list
Command 1 Byte 0x20
Command 2 Byte 0x08 [turns them OFF] 0x09 [turns them ON]
Check "send extended message"
D1 to D14 Bytes 0x00

Save it to an Action Group so you are ready the next time you need to change the LED's
Last edited by CraigM on Mon May 04, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 6:51 am
jalves offline

Just a suggestion, to eliminate mechanical (fan) failure you could temporarily wire the fan directly (bypassing the fanlinc) and manually select the three speeds via the pull chain. If the fain works normally (no loud hum, etc) then you've confirmed its the fanlinc.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 7:46 am
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks for the Led tips - I'll give it a shot next weekend.

Ok - the plot thickens a bit on this Fan/FanLinc issue. Last night I was unintentionally trying different fan speeds while the fan light was OFF. Turns out with the light off there is no hum at all at any of the speeds and the fan seems to operate just fine. I am not sure what this indicates? Any chance it is related to the FanLinc wires being out of order ( White->Blue->Red->Black instead of White->Black->Red->Blue). Maybe that's why it was the only FanLinc on the 'Used-Like New' from AZ Warehouse.

Anyone seen this before? I guess it could be some type of an electrical/power issue? Unfortunately this fan requires some type of remote for changing speeds/lights and I can't test with any pull cords/etc. I may try to wire up one of the old non-Insteon fan remote units

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 8:02 am
rbdubz3 offline

Forgot to mention info on FanLinc revision numbers
- Older one is a 3815, Rev 1.9
- Newer one is a 4718, Rev 3.2

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 8:32 am
rbdubz3 offline

Ok - never mind about the wire color ordering - apparently Insteon decided to change this around at some point. New version of their QuickStart guide shows this change - http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2475fqs-en.pdf

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 9:33 am
jalves offline

rbdubz3 wrote:
Ok - the plot thickens a bit on this Fan/FanLinc issue. Last night I was unintentionally trying different fan speeds while the fan light was OFF. Turns out with the light off there is no hum at all at any of the speeds and the fan seems to operate just fine. I am not sure what this indicates?

First thing I'd check is that the ground connections are tight. Perhaps undo the wire-nuts and re-do them. Check the others at the same time.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff