FanLinc and/or Fan issue with setSpeedIndex

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 4:57 pm
CraigM offline

Re: FanLinc and/or Fan issue with setSpeedIndex

jalves wrote:
rbdubz3 wrote:
Ok - the plot thickens a bit on this Fan/FanLinc issue. Last night I was unintentionally trying different fan speeds while the fan light was OFF. Turns out with the light off there is no hum at all at any of the speeds and the fan seems to operate just fine. I am not sure what this indicates?

First thing I'd check is that the ground connections are tight. Perhaps undo the wire-nuts and re-do them. Check the others at the same time.

I agree that it sounds like a grounding issue, or a bulb going bad, or the wrong type of bulb.

Is it an LED by chance? Just because they say 'dimmable LED' doesn't mean that they play nice.

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 5:26 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Hmm - ok interesting question . Truth be told in regards to the bulbs used - I have the Sylvania Lightify Zigbee A19s in the fan light fixture. These require that the fixture 'brightness' always be set to 100%. They are dimmed via a mobile app, and I've also written an Indigo Plugin that integrates with Insteon (both use Zigbee protocol)... This setup has been working fine for quite some time.

I'll try the grounding connections first, followed by some different bulbs to see if it makes a difference... Thanks again for the suggestions.. BTW if I find a wiring issue to be the culprit, I may try out that old FanLinc again - maybe it wasn't even bad in the first place :(

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 7:18 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Ok - tried redo-ing connections / different bulbs / both FanLincs . My conclusions:

1) Looks like my old FanLinc is pretty fried - didn't seem to like anything - bulbs, connections, etc
2) New Fanlinc definitely doesn't like my fancy Sylvania Lightify Zigbee Bulbs. With 60W incandescent bulbs in there it seems fine and doesn't labor at the LOW/MED speeds. Once I pop in the Lightify bulbs the sound picks up

Kind of a bummer - I purchased some new Ceiling Fans for a couple of bedrooms and was hoping to leverage the fun color-changing Lightify Zigbee bulbs - but this may be a no-go.

If you guys have any tips on compatibility on these lemme know. The electrical for these bulbs doesn't seem too special - 120VAC @60HZ, 86mA and 10W

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 11:48 am
Doctor Q offline

I’m using 3 Hue White Ambience lights in a Fanlinc controlled kitchen fan but I’m bypassing the Fanlinc’s built-in dimmer and running unswitched power to the lights. Do you have the blue wire to the Fanlinc capped?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 2:49 pm
rbdubz3 offline

No not yet Doctor Q - but I like where you are going with this idea.. Basically just bypass the Fanlinc for the lighting, and I guess I'd attach the blue wire from the fan light directly to the wall power line-in - is that right?

Anyone know whether this can cause any type of a hazard? I don't believe most of these remote receiver units do any type of electrical modulation

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 5:16 pm
Doctor Q offline

rbdubz3 wrote:
No not yet Doctor Q - but I like where you are going with this idea.. Basically just bypass the Fanlinc for the lighting, and I guess I'd attach the blue wire from the fan light directly to the wall power line-in - is that right?

Correct. I connect the hot and load wire together in the switch box and cap the load wire of the red load line from the KeypadLinc I use to control the fan (Make sure you do that! And the blue wire from the FanLinc too! There’s voltage there!) I control Hue lights with Insteon dimmers using the Dimmer Extender plug-in and Hue device actions. I would think since Hue is also Zigbee the principle is the same.

Anyone know whether this can cause any type of a hazard? I don't believe most of these remote receiver units do any type of electrical modulation

I’ve tried to find out if this is against code, with mixed results. At any rate, I put warnings under the fan canopies and under the faceplate of the corresponding switch along with the breaker number for reference.

I don’t understand that last part. The Insteon protocol is all about electrical modulation. If you mean the Lightify lights, they require a hub like Hue, don’t they?

HTH
Chuck

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 5:43 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks DoctorQ/Chuck .. And yeah - I already have my KeypadLinc wired to be ON all the time in the switch-box. I'd never tried bypassing the FanLinc for the fan light power though.. So I'll connect the power black line-in with the FanLinc black PLUS blue wires .. and as you mention be sure to cap the blue line from the FanLinc as well

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 10:29 pm
rbdubz3 offline

So far so good Doctor Q - no fan buzzing at all and the Lightify bulbs seems fine as well.. Thanks again for the tip!

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 10:34 pm
Doctor Q offline

Great! Glad I could help.