Power Surge Triggering Insteon Switches/Thermostats?

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:23 pm
AZGuy offline

Power Surge Triggering Insteon Switches/Thermostats?

Hi All,

I believe I have been having power surges at my house. My induction cooktop went out and circuit breakers have tripped a couple times. Had an electrician check out the panel and replace the cooktop and thought problems were solved. Today, I returned home around noon and several insteon controlled lights and fans were all on. Indigo log indicated that Insteon received signals had been detected for these devices. I thought maybe the insteon controller was going bad, so I shut the indigo mac down completely. I planned to buy another controller thinking that it was the problem.

Went out again, and when I returned, some other insteon lights were on. Alarm system indicated a power loss. So now I suspect that power surges are causing these insteon devices to turn on. Has anyone experienced insteon devices turning on during power surges?

I have my electricity supplier coming out to see if they can find out if I am having surge problems. Hopefully, if so, they can remedy the surges and things can get back to normal.

Thanks,
AZGuy

Running Indigo continuously since 2006!

Posted on
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Power Surge Triggering Insteon Switches/Thermostats?

In a word, yes. When the power goes out many Insteon devices (particularly older ones) will turn on when power is restored.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:26 am
AZGuy offline

Thought so! Thanks for the quick reply

Posted on
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 am
peszko offline

jay (support) wrote:
In a word, yes. When the power goes out many Insteon devices (particularly older ones) will turn on when power is restored.

Yes and on top of that, again especially with the older devices, sometimes power fluctuations are mistaken for commands (especially when happen during existing transmisions). The newer insteon devices are a lot more resistant to this, but not immune in my experiance.

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:25 am
AZGuy offline

Thanks Jay. My electricity provider confirmed that an oil switch above ground was bad and was repaired. I was told that I can submit a claim for the induction cooktop that went out during the surge. Surge problem seems to be resolved.

Page 1 of 1