How to SYNC a Dual On/Off Outletlinc with a KeyPadLinc

Posted on
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 pm
HEGarrard offline

How to SYNC a Dual On/Off Outletlinc with a KeyPadLinc

I have a Insteon Remote Control Dual On/Off Outlet that I have linked to an eight button KPL. If I press the KPL button (7) assigned to the TOP Outlet linc, the KPL button (7) lights up and the TOP outletlinc is turned on and if I turn off the KPL button (7) the KPL button (7) light goes off and the TOP outlet turns off - as it should.

However, if I turn the Outletlinc on with the KPL button (7) and then turn off the Outletlinc remotely (as in a control page) - the TOP outletlinc will turn off; however the KPL button (7) stays on. The same occurs if I remotely turn on the TOP outletlinc - the KPL button (7) light does not come on.

How can I remotely turn off/on an outletlinc and have the KPL button (7) turn off/on (sync)?

I have tried to set up a DEVICE LINK on the OUTLET LINC - using the KPL button 7 as the responder device. However the linking fails ...

Error failed to fetch data from remote module
Error Linking - syncing failed

The responder device remains "GREEN" with the status as "added - sync needed"

Posted on
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:23 am
peszko offline

Re: How to SYNC a Dual On/Off Outletlinc with a KeyPadLinc

I have used quite a few keypadlincs in the past, but removed all but one. Linking and controlling buttons is a mess in my opinion. What I'v done to control the last one, is setup triggers on the lights that represent the buttons and corresponding scenes. I also turned off scene cleanup as it sends even more insteon traffic. What I have is a trigger every time the light goes on or off, I send two scene commands (either on or off). The scene has the appropriate buttons in them. The reason I have two, is that sometimes the scene requests would get lost and without the cleanup indigowould not know about it. Also, the second scene would be delayed by 1 sec, which should happen after other related commands have finished. I find that Insteon in larger installations becomes progressively more unstable.

Posted on
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:22 am
HEGarrard offline

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!

I just assumed there was a way to sync KPL buttons with outlets - just like you can with switches and KPL.

Harold

Posted on
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:34 pm
dduff617 offline

When faced with similar challenges in my system, I have used a plugin called "cynical behaviors" and the device type "keypadlinc button device control" contained therein.

You can accomplish essentially the same thing without the plugin by using multiple triggers - functionality is the same, but the setup is a bit tedious.

In case there is any confusion, the specific problem or issue you presented - that of keeping two devices in sync when control input can come from either of the two devices or from a different device or the main controller - is not specific to keypadLinc's. Essentially the same problem/issue would exist if you were linking together two switchLinc's, for example.

Page 1 of 1