Strange Modem/Computer Restart Issue

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:53 am
jltnol offline

Strange Modem/Computer Restart Issue

So I have an Insteon Powerlink Modem plugged directly into a MacMini, running Mojave. This is really a strange problem. I have the Mini setup to self-restart one a week, and the Indigo app as a Startup item, and I noticed that when it does, Indigo can't connect to the modem.

Every time.

No amount of re-configuration will get it to work. It's like the modem or the USB port is dead. I even thought there might be an issue with the sequence of the software as it loads at startup, but even without Indigo as a Startup Item, and launching it manually, the same thing happens. It can't connect to the modem, regardless of what I try.

I finally figured out that all I have to do is to plug the modem into a different USB port, and it starts working agin, without me visiting the config popup.. Basically, I can toggle the physical connection between 2 USB ports every time I re-start, don't need to deal with the config pop up, and all is well. This isn't a big problem... I can re-start manually when I can manage the USB connection, but was just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Strange Modem/Computer Restart Issue

That sounds similar to part of the FTDI driver bug issue. There are two parts to the issue: one is Apple's built-in driver just doesn't work right. But the second issue is that if you have both Apple's built-in driver AND a separately installed FTDI driver installed, on a reboot/login, it will always use Apple's driver when in fact the user installed FTDI driver should be the preferred driver (when there's a driver conflict, that should be the order). To fix that issue, you just need to unplug/replug the PowerLinc (or other FTDI-based device) and it will start working.

Not exactly the same issue, but similar. And it might be a related OS bug that you're hitting. Try the first and last USB ports on the mini. I can't remember which is the actual first port (I think the one on the left when looking at the back) but some have noticed fewer USB issues if you use the first port for the PowerLinc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:26 am
jltnol offline

Re: Strange Modem/Computer Restart Issue

Hey Jay

Thanks for your reply. Was half way thinking this was that drive issue.... but don't remember if I id the drive dance on this particular install of the OS. Could be it just worked and I forgot about it... but I'll try the different ports... I've used them all except for the one where the Z-Stick is plugged in... but will try all 4 just to see what happens..

Page 1 of 1