Powerlinc 2413U will not connect my 2019 MacBook Pro

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Powerlinc 2413U will not connect my 2019 MacBook Pro

Right, multiple drivers will definitely cause issues. For the vast majority of users, using the built-in driver works, it's only those few using old Macs and High Sierra or later that seem to experience the built-in driver bugs.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:24 am
mreyn2005 offline

I did reinstall the FTDI driver this week, in an attempt to fix the issue, but I had originally done the same when I purchased this machine last November. So, I believe the duplicate driver issue would have been in play all along. Again, why this happened now, I still have no idea. Did this solve @Chad_NE's problem?

Matt

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mreyn2005 wrote:
Did this solve @Chad_NE's problem?

Unfortunately, no. We're still trying to figure out what's going on with his setup. Anyone else using either the new MacBook Pro 16" or the most recent MacBook Pro 13" (with only combo thunderbolt/usb3/charging ports) successfully with a PowerLinc?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:05 pm
MarkMongold offline

Hi just wondering if there has been any further news or info on this problem as I am having the same issue after upgrading the os on my MacBook Air to Catalina OS X 10.15.4

I have the followiing:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,2
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 193.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.27f2

I am running Indigo version 7.4.1 (Mac OS X 10.15.4)

I have a 2413U v 2.1

It is connected to a USB2 hub that goes to a USB3 port.

The interface always shows up in the system information USB list any port I plug it into, and also reliably shows up in the Indigo interface config menu with it's serial number showing on the USB serial port popup menu.

but when selected it tries for a little while and then gives the same message others have mentioned: Interface Failure failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc Modem on port usbserial-A704EO6C

This was all working perfectly just before I upgraded.

I did not do a clean install and migrated. I can't really face starting over with my 2 TB boot drive and all the huge amount of work to reinstall and get it all transferred again and working.

I have tried and verified all the suggestions in the blog post about the FTDI drivers workaround and have tried it with the FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext v 2.4.2 and also removed that to let it use the built in Apple Driver. One thing I have noticed is that in the new install of OS X 10.15.4 Apple has arranged things differently than is described in the blog post suggestions and there is not a AppleUSBFTDI.kext driver in the System/Library/Extensions/ directory. Instead there is /System/Library/DriverExtensions/com.apple.DriverKit-AppleUSBFTDI.dext. I did remove that .dext file from its directory and made sure the 2.4.2 FTDI driver was in place but nothing changed.

I am about to loose my mind with this as I have a pretty large investment in insteon modules installed all over my house and a lot of Indigo programming as well as use it to fix module links ext. and all is useless right now.

Does this new Apple directions of driver kit .dext files and locations offer any hints or help is getting this interface to work again?

Will the be a new interface to replace the aging 2413U? Could firmware update some how fix this?

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We've had others that have successfully connected to the new MacBook Pro models. It doesn't appear that it is the same driver issue discussed in our blog post.

Others have used a USB-C cable to connect a USB2 hub (as you are) and then connect your interface through that. If it's showing up in the serial port list then the driver is correctly loading and your issue isn't likely related to the other issues reported on this topic.

Follow these steps to get some more debugging information:

1. With the Insteon interface enabled, hold down Control/Option/Shift and select the Interfaces->Insteon/X10 Power Line->Configure... menu item.
  2. Check the LLIO debug logging checkbox and close the dialog
  3. In the Event Log window, click the Clear Window button
  4. Select the Interfaces->Insteon/X10 Power Line->Disable menu item.
  5. Select the Interfaces->Insteon/X10 Power Line->Enable menu item.
Once it finishes starting up and/or you get error messages but nothing else, copy the entire contents of the Event Log window and paste them into CODE tags in a reply.

[MODERATOR NOTE]: your other duplicate post was deleted - you shouldn't duplicate a post

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just as a follow-up on @Chad_NE's issue, he solved his issue. He tested various connection scenarios (using the Amazon hub that I use in my test environment) each of which worked for him:

1. USB-C port —> cable (USB-C to USB 2.0 B) —> Amazon Hub —> PowerLinc 2413U (5 Volts applied to Amazon hub)
  2. USB-C port —> cable (USB-C to USB 2.0 B) —> Amazon Hub —> PowerLinc 2413U (No power to Amazon hub)
  3. USB-C port —> cable (USB C to USB C) —> 100 watt, powered dock —> USB 3.1 A port —> cable (USB, type A to USB 2.0 B) —> Amazon Hub —> PowerLinc 2413U

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:52 pm
MarkMongold offline

So I have had success!

After multiple tries installing and removing the FTDI 2.4.2 driver and removing the com.apple.DriverKit-AppleUSBFTDI.dext testing and reversing things. Also trying all kinds of USB connections via hubs 2.0 and 3.0 and any thing else I could think of, I read on a SmartHome forum post about different versions of the 2413U PLC unit. The one I had was my second, as my first died from power supply issues. This one is 5 years old and is V2.1. What I read is that the new versions are mainly hardware upgrades to be more robust, but the newer ones also had newer versions of the serial hardware. So I ordered a new one.

It arrived today and I plugged it in directly to the macBookPros USB3.0 port and boom, it works! This is using the built in Apple DriveKit FTDI driver that is part of the current Catalina 10.15.4 upgrade. The new interface says it is firm ware v9.14.

So it seems this issue maybe two fold, the older Mac and newer OS and drivers, but also in my case the earlier PLC device as well. Just to recap, I still think my existing v2.1 PLC is functional as it was just before I updated from MacOS X 10.14, but something about the newest drivers and OS combination do not play well with the old v2.1 PLC, but work perfectly well with the new V2.5 PLC. Also just to document this was not a clean install, but an OS upgrade on top of my existing HD. Anyway, more info for the process.

PS. I apologize for posting about this in two different threads, but there are two threads on the same topic, one focused a bit more on USB Ports and hubs 2.0 vs 3.0, but also touching drivers, and the other is more about the drivers, so I really was not sure who would see my message on which thread. And since they were seemingly parallel I did not see the harm in asking different groups. Anyway, lesson learned.

Cheers,

Posted on
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

MarkMongold wrote:
Just to recap, I still think my existing v2.1 PLC is functional as it was just before I updated from MacOS X 10.14, but something about the newest drivers and OS combination do not play well with the old v2.1 PLC, but work perfectly well with the new V2.5 PLC. Also just to document this was not a clean install, but an OS upgrade on top of my existing HD. Anyway, more info for the process.

That's super interesting, and some really good sleuthing. Thanks! I'll get it added to the main blog post about the issue. To clarify: the sticker on your PowerLinc Modem says v2.5, but Indigo reports it's firmware version as v9.14. Not sure which is the most relevant, but I want to make sure I get the description right in the blog post.

MarkMongold wrote:
PS. I apologize for posting about this in two different threads, but there are two threads on the same topic, one focused a bit more on USB Ports and hubs 2.0 vs 3.0, but also touching drivers, and the other is more about the drivers, so I really was not sure who would see my message on which thread. And since they were seemingly parallel I did not see the harm in asking different groups. Anyway, lesson learned.

No problem, we just want to try and avoid a scenario where the same topic gets split into multiple threads, each with their own set of solutions. This thread was really geared towards the issue of USB-C connections on the new MacBook Pros (and I guess the most recent Air as well), but it sorta bled into another discussion about the driver issue. Let's try to keep driver discussion on the other topic (I've updated both the first post in the thread and added another to the end pointing to your post) and reserve this one more towards physical USB connectivity. Yeah, it's sorta splitting hairs, but we gotta try something! Thanks again for your detective work.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:46 am
MarkMongold offline

Yes you are correct about the versions of the PLC on sticker it’s says v2.5 and the 9.14 firmware is what is reported from Indigo. I can’t see what the old one reports for firmware since I can no longer connect to it. I may see if I can find this info in old Indigo logs from before the os upgrade, if that would help.

Also just to double check things, I went back and physically switched out to the old PLC again with the exact same computer set up and it still refuses to connect. Switched the USB cable back to the new PLC and instantly all works again.

I may dig out a 7 year old MacBook and if it will still boot see if it’s older version of indigo and older os will still connect to the old PLC so I can totally rule out a coincidental hardware failure that might have happened simultaneously with the os upgrade, but I kind of doubt that.

Thanks for understanding and sorting out the threads. My thought is that this is more closely related to drivers and os and firmware versions than to USB c and 3.0 vs. 2.0 issues. Especially since my experience is the new v2.5 PLC works on any USB port I plug it into: 3.0 direct on the computer, 3.0 in a thunder dock, and any of my cascaded usb hubs, both 2.0 and 3.0

Very happy it is working again,

Posted on
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:39 am
marchioli offline

So, I'm having almost exactly the same problem - woke up one day and all of a sudden the 2413U won't connect via serial port.
I've unplugged it (which sometimes fixes the problem) but this times is something else.
I also completely hardware reset it - no change.
I have three serial ports on my drop down list which seem to have been accumulated over the several updates/installs/etc. They were all there EVEN before when things were working.
None of my hardware has changed (e.g. cable, USB hub, etc.).

So, was thinking it was the duplicate kernel extension problem but when I look in the /System/Library/Extensions I don't find any FTDI files. So, that has puzzled me.

My next endeavor is to uninstall and reinstall the FTDI driver.

Posted on
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:54 am
marchioli offline

So, reinstalled 2.4.4 FTDI driver and rebooted and relaunched indigo but no change.
Still get:
Jul 27, 2022 at 10:52:38 AM
Trigger Weather Startup
Interface Failure failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc Modem on port usbserial-AK05Z8BA

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:53:02 AM
Interface Failure failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc Modem on port usbserial-0001
Z-Wave Debug RCVD requestMeterLevel: 01 14 00 04 00 15 0E 32 02 21 64 00 01 13 6D 02 58 00 01 13 6D DB
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: node 021, endpoint None, meterType 01, raw value 6400...
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: 70.509 kWh (float: 70.509000)
Z-Wave Debug RCVD requestMeterLevel: 01 14 00 04 00 15 0E 32 02 21 74 00 00 00 00 02 58 00 01 13 6D B4
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: node 021, endpoint None, meterType 01, raw value 7400...
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: 0.000 W (float: 0.000000)
Interface Failure failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc Modem on port usbserial-AK05Z8BA

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:38 am
marchioli offline

So after doing a lot of reading, it seems that Insteon is now defunct as a company.

Do you or anyone out there know if that means the Insteon line/protocol is dying a slow death or does it still have life?

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:41 am
FlyingDiver offline

marchioli wrote:
So after doing a lot of reading, it seems that Insteon is now defunct as a company.

Do you or anyone out there know if that means the Insteon line/protocol is dying a slow death or does it still have life?

It's coming back. The name and tech was purchased by former employees and they're starting production again.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:19 am
marchioli offline

Ok will keep a lookout for products.

On the other subject line, why did my 2413U suddenly stop working even though the green LED on the side is lit up?
I've tried all the things I can think of except switching it out with another unit. I have an older version 213U that I pulled apart and replaced the capacitors in it. I may try to put that one in and reload the DB.

These things are really just 2-4 years and then throw away (or in my case rework). They have to sit on the raw electrical line so they are very prone to surge and spike damage. I think if they put in some sort of surge/spike/noise filter that is compatible with their line communication protocol that would make these much more reliable. Just my $0.02 worth.

I'll keep a lookout for updates on new/revamped products.

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:27 pm
marchioli offline

So, it looks like Ken Fairbanks CEO Insteon and a group of users bought the assets and company from the bankruptcy liquidation and have reopened for business as of end of June. Here's a link to the reddit repost of his email to existing Insteon hub/cloud users: https://www.reddit.com/r/insteon/commen ... o_insteon/

On the subject of my 2413U that suddenly stopped working. I suspect it is the old culprit of the caps/resistors going bad which has been the death plague of these raw electrically connected devices.

I had an older revision 2413U that had failed this way (caps/resistors blown) which I recapped and tested. I put that in place of the newer but recently failed 2413U and it is working fine.

If anyone has a 2413U out there that needs it recapped, I'd do it for a nominal charge but can't guarantee a time frame since I travel a lot. It takes about 3-4 hours of debugging and troubleshooting and then if I have the parts about 1-2 hours of soldering and testing. So all in all, about 6 or so hours of work. I can't find anywhere yet where a recapped 2413U has failed in the same manner as the factory 2413U. I will post here if my recapped 2413U does fail so we will have the data.

If anyone wants to know what I did to recap it, refer to the Universal Devices forum and there's a plethora of information there on the process. You are also welcome to contact me privately and I'll be glad to share what I know.