220V Car Charging causing interference

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 pm
colovin offline

220V Car Charging causing interference

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not please advise as to the right location. My indigo system is using INESTON modules. I have a Hyundai Sonata PHEV Hybrid. I got it in April and had been using the supplied Level 1 charger (110v) with no trouble to the Indigo system. I put in a 220V NEMA 14-50 receptacle for a MUSTART Level 2 40amp charging cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077D ... UTF8&psc=1

It's actually over kill for this car but it was bought for a Kona Electric that I might be getting after the 1st of the year. The electrician pulled 4 wires and commented that usually you only needed 3 line for 220 V (2 hot, 1 ground) but he thought that the charging cable needed the neutral line. When the car is charging Indigo does not work. I'm also getting random schedule failures even when the car is not charging. For example my back yard landscaping lights were on this morning, should have gone off at 11. Random errors could be because the electrictian took out a X-10 XFP filter that I had in there. I put it in some 20 odd years ago when I was running X-10. I guess it also helps INESTON, I sure wish I didn't let him take it out or at the very least noted where it had been. You live and learn.

I checked with MUSTART about the 4 lines and the replied that no it only need the 2 hots and ground. I had hoped that somehow, with the neutral attached, it was feeding back into the neutral bus causing the interference. I thought I read somewhere that INSTEON carried it's control signals through the neutral line. Unfortunately taking the neutral out didn't take out the interference.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? The car charges a lot faster, going from 8 hrs to 2.5 hrs on a complete charge. But right now that's 2.5 hours of the house not being controlled by Indigo. :-( Kona Electric would be muchhhhh longer. I saw where someone put 2 XFP filters in a 220v situation. The problem there would be that XFP are 20a and the breakers in my box are 50a. Is there something similar to the XFP but at 50a?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Indigo 7.1.1, OS 10.14.6, MacMini .3.2 GHz 6 Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: 220V Car Charging causing interference

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the correct forum

Insteon power line signals are carried on the actual power line, not on the neutral.

Without actually seeing what failures are shown in the Event Log window (feel free to paste in any errors you're seeing), I'm going to guess that it's power line noise generated by the new charger. You can probably confirm it by shutting off the breaker to it and see if the issue continues. That X10 noise filter would likely also have helped any Insteon signal noise that you had.

You can check with Insteon to see if they have had any reports of noise from your specific charger and how to handle it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:51 pm
colovin offline

Actually I had thought of the throwing the breakers to see if that was causing the random failures and had done that overnight. I didn't wake up to any landscape lights on in the morning but there were still some reds in the log file. Screen shot 321 is there on a regular basis. I'm not sure if that's part of the random failures. Screen shot 322 is the log file showing the system problem. Here's the breakdown:

Front Yard Landscaping lights successfully turned on and off
WD Weather update, happens every minute, lots of temp triggers
Me going out the door to the garage
Me opening the Garage door to turn the breakers back on
Garage Door timer started, will warn if open for more than a hour
Door leading to the garage closing behind me
Garage Door open light turned on, on Kitchen KeypadLinc
Garage Door sound file saying the garage door is opening to Airplay devices
I PLUG IN THE CAR
Another weather update
Door to the garage opens and closes as I come back in
Another weather update
Front yard Landscape on and off fails.

DSC Alarm isn't effected by it, as far as I know only INESTON is effected. I don't believe the noise is coming from the car because the level 1 charger that came with the car had no effect on the system. Only the level 2 charger
Attachments
screenshot_322.jpg
Test Log
screenshot_322.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
screenshot_321.jpg
symbolic link failure
screenshot_321.jpg (16.03 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:40 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The first image shows a "no ack", which is almost certainly due to signal noise of some type. The latter is more interesting and may indicate that you have a problem with permissions in the installation folder. Rerunning the installer should correct any permission errors. That error however isn't fatal so it's really not a huge deal.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:06 pm
colovin offline

Very interesting. Yes the Indigo Server folder the admin permission was read only. I changed it to read and write via the info on the folder, will see if that does the trick. I hate re-running installers . . . Yes there is some sort of noise, the problem is the 50 amp circuit otherwise I could just put a couple of XFP's in there. I'll contact INESTON, seems like electric cars are less of a novelty these days. I was hoping someone else on here had already tackled this problem. I've never noticed if the dryer interferes, I"ll have to check that out next time we're drying something.

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 am
colovin offline

OK, changing the permissions on the folder didn't work but I didn't apply it to enclosed items, just did that, I'll see if that makes a difference tomorrow.

In my quest to find out where the XFP filter had been located, would putting it on the circuit that the INESTON modem is connected be a good option?

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No idea - good question for Smarthome...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1