Motion Sensor II

Posted on
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 am
dduff617 offline

Motion Sensor II

I hoped by now that warts/mysteries of Motion Sensor II would be mostly solved and addressed. My understanding is that MSII became "supported" in Indigo as of version 7.0.

I had mostly old model Insteon Motion Sensors in my house and although they had some flaws, I was pretty familiar with them. Since they became unavailable a few years ago, I bought a few MS II's and now have one deployed.

Can anyone help with the following questions:
  • Does this device report battery level? I've heard "rumors" (other forums) that it does. If so, how can I capture/record it?
  • If it doesn't report battery level does it have anything like a heartbeat signal? Or if not that, then should button 3 function as a one-time alert for a failing battery?
  • I'm getting a message from the device at an interval of roughly every 1457 minutes (that's 24 hours and 17 minutes) for button 4 instant on. What is this? Can I treat this as a heartbeat?
  • I can't set up a trigger for the button-4 instant-on message, because Indigo thinks the only Insteon messages it can receive from this device are buttons 1, 2, and 3. Any workarounds for this?

Using the default settings (I did not send any commands to change them), I'm seeing no button 2 or button 3 messages from this device. Based on behavior of my MS I's, I would have expected to see group 2 on/off at dawn/dusk and group 3 when the battery level went low. I just noticed that the original factory battery went dead last week, but there was no button 3 in the logs.

Anyone have a copy of "Insteon Motion Sensor II developer notes" they can share?

Page 1 of 1