Dimmer with LED ceiling fixture

Posted on
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:44 am
Jason G. offline

Dimmer with LED ceiling fixture

Hey All-

I just installed a new 2477D dimmer in my pantry and am a little disappointed in myself. The dimmable LED ceiling fixture is apparently only dimable with specific Lutron brand dimmer switches, and when I try to use it with the Insteon switch it just flickers.

First question - is there any insteon setting that changes the dimmer behavior? I vaguely recall something like that, but may be making it up.

Here's the ceiling fixture, in case it matters:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro- ... R/50279787

Second question - assuming I need to replace the light, where can I find a list of light fixtures that are compatible with Insteon dimmers? Google has failed me so far... though I might be overlooking something obvious.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted on
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 pm
jltnol offline

Re: Dimmer with LED ceiling fixture

Soooo this won't help much, but I bought a Dimmable LED fixture for my kitchen and am using with an Insteon KeyPad, and it works fine. My point being the dimmer you have should work with dimmable LED fixtures. However, I seem to recall a similar issue where some bulbs were flickering, and I ended up installing a small 15w incandescent bulb in the system, and as I recall,that solved the problem. Not that this is a solution that would work for you.

My guess is the load that the fixture presents to the 2477D dimmer isn't one it likes, and the Lutron dimmer is specially designed to handle this type of load.

And thinking back to my dance club days, there was a LOT of neon as part of the light show, and although they were connected to exactly the same kind of dimmers as the incandescent lights, the dimmers had to be slightly altered to handle the transformers for the neon, so something similar may be happening here.

My guess is a slight alteration in the load that the dimmer "sees" would fix this, but I haven't got the faintest idea of what.

Posted on
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:25 am
Jason G. offline

Re: Dimmer with LED ceiling fixture

Thanks for the thoughts - I think it is just a mediocre ceiling fixture.

For what it is worth, I installed this ceiling fixture and it works great with the dimmer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R85ZDY/

Page 1 of 1