Switchlinc V2 Dimmer responding to all Insteon commands

Posted on
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 am
InsteonDiego offline

Switchlinc V2 Dimmer responding to all Insteon commands

A few weeks back, one of my Switchlinc V2 dimmers started to respond to all device commands in that the attached load (in-ceiling recessed LED lights) blinks off and then on when another device in the network is controlled. At first I thought it was being caused by an unexpected link on a keypadlinc or similar, but have since determined that any Insteon activity causes the blinking activity. In fact, I can send a command directly from Indigo to another device and the Switchlinc will again blink the lights (although I don't see any activity related to the Switchlinc in the Indigo log). Dimming another device is particularly annoying as the lights in question blink on and off as the dimming occurs on the device being controlled. This problem only occurs when the load on the Switchlinc is in the ON state.

To troubleshoot, I have reset the device several times and tried resyncing links to no avail. Most recently, I removed the device from Indigo and then reset the device and re-added it to Indigo. Both local and remote control of the device work fine, but other network activity still causes the device to blink.

I have never seen this before and wondering if the device is simply on its way to failure? Before replacing, is there anything else I should try?

Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Switchlinc V2 Dimmer responding to all Insteon commands

You've done everything I would have tried. I think it's toast (and the V2 is quite old so probably not very surprising).

When you say off and on, do you mean that it actually reports state changes to Indigo? As opposed to the bulb just flashing but the switch not reporting state change to Indigo? If the latter you might try a new bulb just in case.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 pm
InsteonDiego offline

Thanks Jay. What a strange failure state . . .

I do not see the changes being reported to Indigo. When I control another device, the only thing I notice is that the small LEDs on the physical switch ramp down to off and then about a second later they ramp back up, thereby turning the attached load off and then back on. I don't suspect the bulb to be an issue, these are standard construction in-ceiling recessed lights and in fact there are four of them on this leg. All four bulbs turn off and then back on together when the switch "does it's thing."

As a last ditch, is it possible there is something weird in the Powerlinc that may be causing this issue? I just can't fathom why the failure state of the switch would be to respond to all commands by turning off and then back on and only when in the ON state . . .

Posted on
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I've seen that behavior before (the LEDs running up/down like that) on failed switches (I've had 2 do that in the past couple of months), though they weren't connected directly to a load so it's unclear if it was also messing with that. I had to replace both of them.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:14 am
hamw offline

this is very interesting. I have had the same problem, again with some LEDs attached to a switchlink dimmer. but for me it is actually two separate dimmers on two separate LED lights. This is a new install with new LEDs and new dimmers. I replaced one of the dimmers, again with a new one, and it is still doing the same thing? Is it possibly related to LEDs?

really odd. I suppose just a change to a ZWave dimmer would solve the problem.

Page 1 of 1