New PowerLinc Poll

Would you buy a new PowerLinc Pro with the features mentioned below?

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:38 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

New PowerLinc Poll

Hey guys, we're wondering how many people would be interested in an upgraded PowerLinc Modem with the following features:

1. USB connection that used the Modem driver (built-in to macOS) rather than the FTDI chipset to avoid the driver issues that some experience
  2. Had the latest Insteon firmware which addresses some issues/bugs and could improve performance
  3. Price point roughly the same as the current PowerLinc
  4. Has a switching power supply and plug such that it can be used Internationally

A note about X10: I'm not sure, but I suspect that such a device would drop X10 support (as most new Insteon devices have).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:18 pm
roussell offline

Re: New PowerLinc Poll

I voted, but if you're building something, put it on the network man!! Get away from USB! An ideal device would be something that could be placed more than 15 feet away from the Mac. ;-)
Last edited by roussell on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
I voted, but if you're building something, put it on the network man!! Get away from USB! An idea device would be something that could be place more than 15 feet away from the Mac. ;-)

We're definitely not building any type of hardware... :wink:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:59 pm
RogueProeliator offline

We're definitely not building any type of hardware...

I would definitely a Linux-based Indigo Hub.... just sayin'.

One note -- I voted for "when mine dies", but I would add if it included network connection to the Mac as Terry mentioned, I would vote "Immediate". I don't know if that comment helps you in whatever the goal of the poll is, but thought I would share.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:07 pm
roussell offline

New PowerLinc Poll

One more thought, Durosity tells me with an obscene amount of confidence that you guys are actively working on a non-Mac platform. If true (and why wouldn't it be???) would something that specifically targets the Apple modem driver be of limited future usefulness? Network man, Network!
Last edited by roussell on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:08 pm
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I would definitely a Linux-based Indigo Hub.... just sayin'.

This guy's on to something! :wink:

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Guys: we are not building Insteon hardware (or any other kind of hardware for that matter). Period. We're software guys.

AFAIK, you can't specifically target the "Apple modem driver", but rather your USB device identifies itself as a modem device and whatever is talking to it will select the appropriate driver (macOS would use it's built-in modem driver, Linux would select an appropriate driver, etc).

Durosity should never be trusted to relate truthful information. The poor guy is so deluded that he actually believes he's in my basement (despite the fact that I have no basement and I'm not even on the same continent as he is)...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:04 pm
DaveL17 offline

I voted "No, I'm not interested in Insteon", but that's not entirely right. It was just the closest option.

It's not that I have no interest, I just have no plans to add it now.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 pm
Korey offline

Any news on this? is this something we can expect down the road from someone?

Thinking of upgrading to a 2018 Mini and don't like the idea that the USB to the Powerlinc is flakey.. :?

I notice not many poll results, but my system is exclusively Insteon.. I have yet to find a equivalent for the Keypadlinc. Sorry Dave! :lol:

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Korey wrote:
Any news on this? is this something we can expect down the road from someone?

This was just a wishful thinking poll mostly, so no. It couldn't hurt though to let Insteon know that you'd be interested in such a device... ;)

Korey wrote:
Thinking of upgrading to a 2018 Mini and don't like the idea that the USB to the Powerlinc is flakey.. :?

I believe we've determined that the new mini doesn't exhibit the OS driver issues.

Korey wrote:
I notice not many poll results, but my system is exclusively Insteon.. I have yet to find a equivalent for the Keypadlinc. Sorry Dave! :lol:

The only Insteon I have left in my house are: KeypadLincs (mostly in combination with FanLincs), SwitchLincs in multi-way scenarios (and a couple directly linked to hidden door sensors), and a variety of wall warts that are directly linked to SwitchLinc and KeypadLinc buttons.

I could likely swap out the SwitchLincs that are in multiway with Z-Wave equivalents when those start to fail (in fact I will likely be doing that soon replacing 2 SwitchLincs with HomeSeer switches). I think I could replace the door sensor/SwitchLinc combo with devices that support the appropriate associations (I like the fact that direct links in the Insteon solution don't require roundtrip to the PowerLinc). The same could be said for the switches/wall warts.

So, I'm pretty much left with these two scenarios that I can't do with Z-Wave easily: KeypadLinc/FanLinc (there isn't a Z-Wave device that does both fan speed and fan light), and the KeypadLinc as generic scene controller that shows visually state. I know there are some multibutton Z-Wave scene controllers, but I don't believe those show state (with an LED or something like the KeypadLinc).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm
DaveL17 offline

jay (support) wrote:
So, I'm pretty much left with these two scenarios that I can't do with Z-Wave easily: KeypadLinc/FanLinc (there isn't a Z-Wave device that does both fan speed and fan light), and the KeypadLinc as generic scene controller that shows visually state. I know there are some multibutton Z-Wave scene controllers, but I don't believe those show state (with an LED or something like the KeypadLinc).

Jay - I haven't thought this through entirely, but could the HomeSeer switches fit the bill with their multi-tap and tap-and-hold combinations? You'd at least get the indicator light option. It definitely would be second class, if it would somehow work for your situation, with the need to remember all the combinations.

I have a Dragon version (HomeSeer hardware with different firmware without the addressable LEDs) and Indigo supports the various tap combinations just great. For example, when I head off to bed for the evening, a quick double-tap on the switch by the stairs fires an action that makes sure everything is shut down.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm
durosity offline

I’m not the deluded one! Keep the noise down up there when I’m sleeping, some of us still live on GMT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:22 pm
jblackburn offline

Any links of the product?

Thanks!

Joël

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm
Korey offline

DaveL17 wrote:
jay (support) wrote:

Jay - I haven't thought this through entirely, but could the HomeSeer switches fit the bill with their multi-tap and tap-and-hold combinations? You'd at least get the indicator light option. It definitely would be second class, if it would somehow work for your situation, with the need to remember all the combinations.

I have a Dragon version (HomeSeer hardware with different firmware without the addressable LEDs) and Indigo supports the various tap combinations just great. For example, when I head off to bed for the evening, a quick double-tap on the switch by the stairs fires an action that makes sure everything is shut down.

Hey Dave!

The Insteon Switchlinc switches support double taps as well, I use them for the same purpose you describe and other as well.

I do have to admit I like the new Homeseer RGB switches, I wish they would make an RGB 8 or 6 button keypad, I have 8 scattered throughout the house all witch the custom engraved buttons for dedicated tasks. works very well.

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jblackburn wrote:
Any links of the product?

What product?

Jay (Indigo Support)