New PowerLinc Poll

Would you buy a new PowerLinc Pro with the features mentioned below?

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:45 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: New PowerLinc Poll

DaveL17 wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
So, I'm pretty much left with these two scenarios that I can't do with Z-Wave easily: KeypadLinc/FanLinc (there isn't a Z-Wave device that does both fan speed and fan light), and the KeypadLinc as generic scene controller that shows visually state. I know there are some multibutton Z-Wave scene controllers, but I don't believe those show state (with an LED or something like the KeypadLinc).

Jay - I haven't thought this through entirely, but could the HomeSeer switches fit the bill with their multi-tap and tap-and-hold combinations? You'd at least get the indicator light option. It definitely would be second class, if it would somehow work for your situation, with the need to remember all the combinations.

I have a Dragon version (HomeSeer hardware with different firmware without the addressable LEDs) and Indigo supports the various tap combinations just great. For example, when I head off to bed for the evening, a quick double-tap on the switch by the stairs fires an action that makes sure everything is shut down.

Yeah, not intuitive enough for me. Counting taps (and always getting the right number) is a bit challenging the more taps that are needed to activate a scene...

Korey wrote:
The Insteon Switchlinc switches support double taps as well, I use them for the same purpose you describe and other as well.

I do have to admit I like the new Homeseer RGB switches, I wish they would make an RGB 8 or 6 button keypad, I have 8 scattered throughout the house all witch the custom engraved buttons for dedicated tasks. works very well.

He was referring to my comment about switching away from Insteon... ;) If someone did build a Z-Wave scene controller that looked/worked similarly to the KeypadLinc that would likely be a tipping point for me.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 pm
akimball offline

Interesting poll, but let me point out that I sometimes find useful, stealthy ways to monitor a product. For example, as an engineer, I’ve monitored a few companies job postings....Apple, Amazon, etc. just to see what type of talent they’re trying to attract. This removes some of the clouds in my crystal ball if not only a little.

Similarly, I’ve used the “Apple News” app in a similar fashion; a couple of years back I created ‘news’ categories for keywords, insteon, z-wave, homeseer, midi....and many more. Then Apple News does the legwork for me, gathering together various articles, announcements, and tech trivia from sources world-wide.

Let me just say....there is rarely anything posted in the news world about Insteon. Their days of innovation appear to be over. The last product was a year ago...and I don’t see them coming out with a reliable new generation of squat.

Because of this lack of interest, I must conclude the technology is beyond stagnant. I could be wrong, but as Bone’s might say....”He’s dead Jim.”

-Al

Posted on
Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 am
peszko offline

I have to agree that Insteon is on the way out. After recently making an all out effort to stabilize my insteon system without success, I ended up diving in to the protocol it self and feel that it can't work properly in larger installations. I think Insteon is fundamentally unstable protocol for larger and more complex installations. At around 100 devices things start to go south especially when there is a mix of wired and wireless modules in the same logic. See my notes regarding this in previous post: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?p=172602#p172602

Currently, I have replaced some modules with zwave, especially the wireless ones and my reliability improved . I will continue to replace insteon modules until most are gone.

And yes, the industry seems to agree that Insteon is not a good investment and staying away from it.