Flicker / Interference from other switches

Posted on
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:38 pm
MountainEars offline

Flicker / Interference from other switches

Just finishing up remodeling our master suite. As part of this I replaced and re-wired all the lights. They are all LED and with the low power usage I put everything on one circuit. However, there are a ton of different switches.

I'm using the DIN 2452-222 lighting controllers, this is the first time I'm using those. I have them all mounted in the basement, with straight runs to the lights they are controlling. The switches for the most part in the suite are not controlling any load, they are just controlling the DIN dimmers.

What I'm experiencing is flicker on these lights whenever another Insteon device is turned on/off or dimmed. Every light that is on in the master suite will flicker for a moment when another switch is activated. This happens with switches that are on different circuits too, almost more so. For example, when I turn a light on in the front yard, totally different breaker in the house, that will cause bedroom lights to flicker.

No other lights in the house (all pretty much LED at this point) get this flicker, just the ones in this new area that we did.

I'm at a loss as to how to trouble shoot this type of interference. Any suggestions?
Attachments
insteon din.PNG
insteon din.PNG (480.94 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 am
MountainEars offline

Re: Flicker / Interference from other switches

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Steps I could take to troubleshoot / narrow it down?

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:52 am
kw123 offline

replace ONE of them with a regular insteon dimmer and see if that one also flickers.
if not, then the DIN xxx dimmers are bad
if yes... ??

just basic divide and solve

Karl

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:14 am
mat offline

I'm not an electrician, and have no clue on US wiring, but could it be that the LED load is not high enough. With the z-wave modules in the uk, if the load is not high enough i've experienced a flicker, and had to add a bypass resistor to increase the load. The flicker increases the more the load is dimmed. You could replace an led with a filament lamp to test.

Just a random thought.....

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:42 am
siclark offline

mat wrote:
I'm not an electrician, and have no clue on US wiring,.

Same here but wouldn't it be great to have hollow walls and basements and crawl spaces to be able to just drop wires down into the basement for easy re-wires rather than chiseling through brick and plaster and lifting carpets.

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd try different bulbs - a halogen or incandescent and see if they flicker the same way.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:03 pm
MountainEars offline

Thanks for these comments, gives me some things to check out.

I'll note that primarily I'm using the DIN switches, but there are some other Insteon switches on the same circuit that are experiencing the same thing. And it's a variety of different LED bulbs.

I'll probably go around and try to disconnect all of the switches except for 1 and see if I can reproduce, then start adding in switches and see if it starts to happen....and go through and try some regular bulbs. I'm not too suspicious of the bulbs though as I use these bulbs in other parts of the house without issues.

Ken

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 pm
siclark offline

So the manual says there is no minimum load, unlike the zwave ones. Might be worth ruling out led issues but shouldn't be a problem with low load. Could be in rush current related.

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm
mat offline

siclark wrote:
mat wrote:
I'm not an electrician, and have no clue on US wiring,.

Same here but wouldn't it be great to have hollow walls and basements and crawl spaces to be able to just drop wires down into the basement for easy re-wires rather than chiseling through brick and plaster and lifting carpets.

Heaven! However I do have a 500mm crawl space under the floorboards. Not fun, but has been done!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Page 1 of 1