PLM stand-alone operation

Posted on
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:43 am
farberm offline

PLM stand-alone operation

There are times when my Mac goes haywire and want to know if there are any options for,standalone operation like the 2414u? For instance are there any hubs etc that can perform in standalone mode.

I,currently use the 2413 module. Can I connect both a 2414 and 2413 up,at the same time without issues. I realize some of my newer modules will not interface.

Posted on
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: PLM stand-alone operation

Indigo does support uploading very basic triggers and schedules (but nothing complex since it is a very simple controller) to the 2414U. That said, I don't believe they are made anymore so it might be somewhat difficult to find one (and you might have to manually replace the lithium battery inside of it if it is old). Trying to use 2 controllers with Indigo will be problematic. Whenever Indigo detects a new PowerLinc has been swapped in, it will want to re-sync all of the modules to correct the link addresses in all the modules (from the older PowerLinc address to the new). The only way it can probably work would be to create 2 copies of your Indigo database file. One that you use only to upload very basic schedules / logic to the 2414U and another one that you use when your Mac is working and connected to the 2413U. You'd need to either not have duplicate logic/schedules (to avoid Insteon collisions), or you'll have to make sure the 2414U is disconnected when Indigo is running the show via the 2413U. Basically, you'd just be pre-programming the 2414U so it can be plugged in if the Mac or 2413U die. There might be a problem with that in that the 2414U's internal clock will probably drift some over time if it isn't periodically connected to Indigo to have the clock re-sync'd with your Mac.

In summary, I don't think there is a great way to do it. Probably having a standby Mac and 2413U would be the fastest way to get up and running again if there is a hardware problem.

Posted on
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:39 am
johnpolasek offline

If all you want is very basic schedules and scenes, an insteon hub https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html Can operate completely independent of Indigo, and the insteon devices can be linked to both controllers, so that each is aware of the changes in the devices, although they can't see each other's commands or talk to each other.

Posted on
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:24 pm
roussell offline

johnpolasek wrote:
If all you want is very basic schedules and scenes, an insteon hub https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html Can operate completely independent of Indigo, and the insteon devices can be linked to both controllers, so that each is aware of the changes in the devices, although they can't see each other's commands or talk to each other.

Unless you use an Insteon thermostat, those only remember the last-linked controller.
I think there may be a few others that behave the same way but I know for certain the thermos won’t work with a PLM and hub at the same time.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, there are definitely sync issues when using the Hub and a PowerLinc with Indigo at the same time. Not really recommended.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1