Keypad Integration Question

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:32 pm
Venicenerd offline

Keypad Integration Question

I’m really interested in this platform but I have a question about Insteon Keypad integration. To make it simple let’s say I have two 6-button keypads (KP1 & KP2) and two lights (L1 & L2) in my home.

Let’s say I use Indigo to program button A on both keypads to turn on L1 and Button B to turn on L2.

Now when I press Button A on KP1, L1 will turn on. However, will Button A on KP2 also light up?

Similarly if i turn on L1 in the Home App on my iPhone (via HomeKit Bridge) will Button A light up on KP1 and KP2?

Very curious if this is possible with Indigo and HomkeKit bridge. Currently I’m running my Insteon devices through an ISY controller and I achieved this Keypad Synchronisation with a bunch of scripts I had to set up on the ISY.

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:23 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Keypad Integration Question

Your scenario is quite doable. I do the same extensively in my own home across a half dozen keypads where I want an action in one place in my house to be reflected on the KPL’s. You’ll find that Indigo is extremely capable in doing these things.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, this can be done - you need to use a combination of Insteon links and Indigo Triggers (HomeKit Bridge has nothing to do with it) to keep everything in sync.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 pm
Venicenerd offline

Thanks! So basically I would do it the same way as I have done on my ISY? I write the logic in Indigo (if this light turns on light up Keypad 1 Button A and Keypad 2 Button A; if it turns off, turn off the buttons) and then everything will just stay in sync even if I trigger the lights via HomeKit?

I’m actually pretty happy with way my ISY takes care of all my Insteon devices but they don’t have any good HomeKit integration. Currently have to use ano longer updated Homebridge plugin.

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:36 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Venicenerd wrote:
Thanks! So basically I would do it the same way as I have done on my ISY? I write the logic in Indigo (if this light turns on light up Keypad 1 Button A and Keypad 2 Button A; if it turns off, turn off the buttons) and then everything will just stay in sync even if I trigger the lights via HomeKit?

Yep.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:12 pm
Venicenerd offline

Awesome! I may give this a try then! Last question: is it possible to run Indigo alongside my current ISY configuration to give this a whirl or will I basically have to nuke my ISY setup first? :|

Posted on
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Venicenerd wrote:
Awesome! I may give this a try then! Last question: is it possible to run Indigo alongside my current ISY configuration to give this a whirl or will I basically have to nuke my ISY setup first? :|

Running them both may work (from a command perspective), but you're likely to see devices out of sync in terms of status in Indigo when controlled by the ISY and vice versa. Insteon isn't really designed to be controlled by two different primary controllers (PowerLincs, RF dongle, Insteon hubs, etc.) and there are a variety of scenarios in which a device will only report status to a specific controller. Note also that it will likely lead to some confusion as each controller will be trying to perform various actions and if those happen to the same device at the same time then you may get unexpected results. When you make the final switch, you'll probably want to reset the links in all of your devices so that they no longer contain links to the ISY's PowerLinc. If you leave those hanging out, you could end up with a slow network because those devices will retry several times to communicate with it (which will also generate extra traffic).

In general, we don't recommend it because of the potential for confusion and frustration. If you're going to do it, I highly recommend that you pick a small subset of devices to move over (remove from the ISY, factory reset, then add to Indigo). This would, at the very least, keep your test Indigo system segregated from the ISY and will help reduce confusion/frustration.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1