Problem brewing or already failing.

Posted on
Fri May 25, 2018 6:53 pm
richardall offline

Problem brewing or already failing.

I have been on-again-off-again with my smart home, Indigo, and controlling many different items.

My problem is that I lost my server about 2 years ago. I set up another one but didn't do a great job and didn' take the time to re-install Indigo. After a while, that server failed. I went out and got me a new MacMini and got things set up and have been restoring the systems. I've been seeing troubles and working to fix them. Some of the problems were due to the older software, scripts, etc.

I've been working to get things updated and upgraded to 6.1. This cleared up a bunch of things but not everything. That's a long intro and thank you for your patience.

Here are my problems (i think some may be interrelated)
1) I have a 2413U which has been flaky. I have not been able to connect to any of the legacy X10 modules. Monday night, the 2413U died. I found the post for repairing the device, gathered the parts and rebuilt it. It's back working with the Insteon devices but still not with the X10?

2) I decided to make the plunge and further upgrade and this morning purchased the 7.1 upgrade. Just after I purchased it, I spotted the warning about High Sierra. I'm already updated to 10.13.4. Should I hold off on the 7.1 install?

3) I have read several posts that indicate that High Sierra is causing problems. Could both my issues be related to the High Sierra? Should I be planning a reverse migration to 10.12?

Would appreciate input and guidance. Thank you,

Posted on
Fri May 25, 2018 8:32 pm
roussell offline

Re: Problem brewing or already failing.

There are some that are running “ok” with High Sierra, but with the odd USB problems, I’d definitely revert to (and hold at) 10.11 or 10.12. Both are pretty solid with respect to Indigo and Insteon, and will give you a stable base from which to troubleshoot further, should you need to.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2018 2:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

X10 not working but INSTEON continuing to work points to a failed or failing PowerLinc. We've had a few cases of that occurring – apparently the X10 transmitter/receiver can fail but the INSTEON one continues to work.

The High Sierra USB problems appear to be specific to certain Mac models. Unfortunately, we don't have a definitive list of which models have problems. Lots of Macs work fine though. Note the problem is a High Sierra bug, and if you run into it will impact all versions of Indigo (since it isn't really an Indigo problem). Lastly, here is the Indigo article on how to work around the USB problems. It has worked for several users.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2018 5:29 am
eme jota ce offline

roussell wrote:
There are some that are running “ok” with High Sierra, but with the odd USB problems, I’d definitely revert to (and hold at) 10.11 or 10.12. Both are pretty solid with respect to Indigo and Insteon, and will give you a stable base from which to troubleshoot further, should you need to.

Ditto on High Sierra. Followed all the instructions on the site including those linked by Matt above and had OK performance for a while, but insteon started acting flaky after a couple months - very slow & lots of signal congestion. I thought it was signal noise and spent a lot of time trying to isolate the problem using the process outlined by Indigodomo. Also purchased a new 2413U. Nothing worked. Went back to Sierra installation with Indigo ... Indigo works great again with the old 2413U and the new one.

Page 1 of 1