Insteon interface weirdness

Posted on
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:46 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Insteon interface weirdness

First, there's this log segment from my development machine (an iMac), that does not have an Insteon interface attached:

Code: Select all
Mar 25, 2018 at 4:48:35 PM
   Disabling plugin "Pushover 1.4.0"
   Stopping plugin "Pushover 1.4.0" (pid 88353)
   Pushover Debug                  shutdown called
   Stopped plugin "Pushover 1.4.0"
   Disabling plugin "Pushsafer 1.1.2"
   Stopping plugin "Pushsafer 1.1.2" (pid 88354)
   Pushsafer Debug                 Pushsafer shutdown
   Stopped plugin "Pushsafer 1.1.2"
   Enabling interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.10"
   Starting interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.10" (pid 88358)
   Error                           Install Interface() caught exception: InvalidParameterError -- serial port name not specified
   Interface Failure               failed to establish connection with serial interface
   Started interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.10"
   Disabling interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.10"
   Stopping interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.10" (pid 88358)
   Stopped interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.10"

I did not try to enable the interface. It did it on it's own. I happened to be looking at the log at the time (working on the Pushsafer plugin), so I immediately turned it off.

Meanwhile on the production server (Mac mini), I see this:

Code: Select all
2018-03-25 01:03:37.221   Received INSTEON   "Leak Sensor - Washing Machine" on (heartbeat)

2018-03-25 03:27:07.340   Received INSTEON   "Leak Sensor - Ice Maker" on (heartbeat)

2018-03-25 07:17:17.607   Received INSTEON   "Pantry Door Sensor" on (heartbeat)

2018-03-25 08:11:48.663   Application   Connected to PowerLinc 2413U interface on port usbserial-A6028NKV
2018-03-25 08:11:48.665   Application   PowerLinc address 2A.01.3F, firmware version 9.11

So, the system is merrily chugging along, getting Insteon messages just fine, when all of a sudden the interface disables itself. I turned it back on at 8:11 when I checked the system.

WTF?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:48 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Insteon interface weirdness

I did just buy a backup interface, one of the RF only ones, in case it's the Powerlinc. I have two dual-mode light switches I'm about to install in the same room as the Indigo server, so I don't think I'll have any problems with connectivity. Just want to avoid the hassle of redoing any links.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:29 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Oh, and I do have a trigger for Indigo Interface failure. Never goes off.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:59 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
First, there's this log segment from my development machine (an iMac), that does not have an Insteon interface attached...
I did not try to enable the interface. It did it on it's own. I happened to be looking at the log at the time (working on the Pushsafer plugin), so I immediately turned it off.

Hmmm. Was the Indigo Server trying to shutdown (looks like it)? Even though it wasn't enabled, I'm curious what interface type you have chosen in the preferences dialog. The PowerLinc 2414U / 1132CU types support uploading of some logic/timers, so when Indigo Server is shutting down it will briefly connect to the interface (even if it wasn't enabled) so that it can try to perform the upload. If you have the 2412U / 2413U type selected though it shouldn't be doing that.

FlyingDiver wrote:
Meanwhile on the production server (Mac mini), I see this ...
So, the system is merrily chugging along, getting Insteon messages just fine, when all of a sudden the interface disables itself. I turned it back on at 8:11 when I checked the system.

Did you miss some lines in your copy/paste from the Event Log to the forum post? In particular, you said the interface disables itself, but in the log snippet above I just see it re-enabling itself after the "Received" lines.

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:41 am
FlyingDiver offline

matt (support) wrote:
Hmmm. Was the Indigo Server trying to shutdown (looks like it)? Even though it wasn't enabled, I'm curious what interface type you have chosen in the preferences dialog. The PowerLinc 2414U / 1132CU types support uploading of some logic/timers, so when Indigo Server is shutting down it will briefly connect to the interface (even if it wasn't enabled) so that it can try to perform the upload. If you have the 2412U / 2413U type selected though it shouldn't be doing that.

I have the 2412U/2413U selected. This issue isn't reliably repeatable. When I just started up Indigo on my iMac, it tried to start the Insteon interface. But after I actually opened the config dialog to check the interface type, it doesn't do it. I don't think I was actually trying to do a shutdown at the time. I was just turning on/off some plugins to see if they restarted properly.

matt (support) wrote:
Did you miss some lines in your copy/paste from the Event Log to the forum post? In particular, you said the interface disables itself, but in the log snippet above I just see it re-enabling itself after the "Received" lines.

Yes, it disables itself but there is nothing in the logs reflecting that. What I showed above is everything having to do with the Insteon interface in the log. Nothing between the successful message reception and when I enabled it manually.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:53 am
FlyingDiver offline

Did it again this morning. There's a heartbeat from a leak sensor at 6:57, then I had to re-enable it at 7:49.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Whacky. Can you email me the log from today (or the previous log file)?

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am
FlyingDiver offline

Done.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1